Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2002 6:53:54 AM EDT
Okay, I have been to the 1911forum web site and read alot about replacing the springs to help reduce muzzle flip on the 1911.  Exactly what springs are they talking about?  I know the recoil spring is the main spring but are there others involved when it comes to redusing muzzle climb?  Has anyone gone to a smaller recoil spring on their 1911, and if so how did it improve/change performance?

Thanks

Sgtar15(aka Sgt1911)
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The main recoil spring is the one they're talking about.  I went from a 16 lb spring to 18 lb and it did reduce the muzzle flip when using ball ammo, 230 gr.

Welcome to the 1911 club.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not a expert.
I only use a reduced spring weight when I use low power loads, like target loads.
I also use a recoil buffer to help since it absorbs some rearward movement force of the slide, this has helped with muzzle flip.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Gee George, that heavy stainless SA had hardly any muzzle flip and functioned flawlessly. Why mess with it.

Remember, it's a real gun, not a 9mm
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
[incorekt bord coad]Yeah, I prefer a heavier spring.  I installed a Wolff 18.5 lb recoil spring; it's the only modification I've made on my Colt 1991A1 so far.  I haven't noticed much of a difference, but my 15-yr-old brother said he noticed a definite decrease in recoil.  I just got it to help functioning in really dirty conditions, but it has that nice extra benefit of reducing felt recoil and muzzle flip.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
[incorekt bord coad]Yeah, I prefer a heavier spring.  I installed a Wolff 18.5 lb recoil spring; it's the only modification I've made on my Colt 1991A1 so far.  I haven't noticed much of a difference, but my 15-yr-old brother said he noticed a definite decrease in recoil.  I just got it to help functioning in really dirty conditions, but it has that nice extra benefit of reducing felt recoil and muzzle flip.

Same thoughts here as McNamara:
I upped the spring in the Springfield (no pun intended) to 18#. I was experienceing frequent miss-feeds (jams) after 200+ rounds so I polished the feed-ramp and replaced the spring.
Did not notice too much diff. in the recoil but, the gun functioned much better (aka no jams) after lots 'o rnds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
sgtar15,
Before you start changing out your recoil spring, you need to find the ammo that works best for you.  Then you can change out the spring to a stiffer one if needed.  If your shooting light loads, a stiffer spring is only going to make the gun jam, due to lack of force by the light ammo.

Also, if you change out your slide spring to a stronger one, then you should also change out the firing pin spring.  This is a must on a pistol that does not have a firing pin lock, such as a colt 70. The slide will be coming back faster and the standard firing pin spring may not be strong enough to retain the pin back, this could cause a slam fire.

The one thing that you might do is to change out your rod to a full length rod, and add a shock buffer.  The new rod will cycle the pistol smoother and the buffer will lessen the slide blow the frame. If you check around you can find a one piece rod for under $20 and pads go for 6 @5.99. Remember to change out the pads when they are chewed up.

If you reload, I have found a load that works in wide range of pistols using the stock spring.

185 semi wad cutter, 4.2g of clays powder, Standard pistol primmer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top