Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/7/2002 7:00:33 AM EDT
I just bought a Colt 1911 from a fellow on this board and have discovered that the grip safety is nonfunctional. Can someone more familiar with 1911s than me tell me, is this an easy fix, i.e., replace the part? Is it possible something is broken? Any input welcome. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:24:41 AM EDT
You may want to ask the person you bought it from to explain what they did to disable it?
Just a thought. I know some people don't like the safety.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:38:13 AM EDT
by nonfunctional you mean if you hold the pistol without touching the grip safety and push the trigger the hammer falls?
if so you may need a new grip saftey part or a new spring but take the gun apart and look at the parts.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:55:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/7/2002 7:56:50 AM EDT by SBR7_11]
You need to determine 1 of a couple things.

1- does grip safety pivot on it's pin?

2- no pivot, safety could be pinned so as to hold safety in the apply (gripped)position.

3- somebody could have cut the tab off, does the trigger move rearward and drop hammer if not holding safety (safety should pivot on its pin though)

Mine on my race gun has a roll pin in the mainspring housing, bent to hold safety in the apply position.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:23:26 AM EDT
The grip safety pivots fine, and returns to position when released. The hammer will fall when the trigger is pulled without holding the grip. Guess I'll have to open it up and take a gander.

I've also noticed a lot of front-to-back play in the slide. Gun is a Colt Lightweight Commander. I'm pretty disappointed so far. I do believe I was had.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 11:21:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/7/2002 11:21:59 AM EDT by ECS]

Originally Posted By marvl:
The grip safety pivots fine, and returns to position when released. The hammer will fall when the trigger is pulled without holding the grip. Guess I'll have to open it up and take a gander.

I've also noticed a lot of front-to-back play in the slide. Gun is a Colt Lightweight Commander. I'm pretty disappointed so far. I do believe I was had.

If the grip safety pivots OK you may need to replace it. Remove the grips and study the geometry a bit. The grip safety has an internal projection on it that blocks the trigger bow so the trigger cannot be pulled to the rear. It could be somone filed the tab off too much? Its very easy to replace parts on the 1911. A new grip safety may require a bit of filing on its tab before it will engage completely. File it too much and it becomes nonfunctional.

You also need to test the thumb safety. Cock the pistol, engage the thumb safety. Hold the pistol normally, making sure the grip safety is held in. Then pull the trigger, the hammer should not fall.

You also need to test the disconnector. Cock the hammer. Hold the pistol normally and pull the trigger - DO NOT RELEASE THE TRIGGER!. The hammer should fall. While still holding the trigger in, cycle the slide. The hammer should stay cocked. Now release the trigger - you should hear/feel the disconnector pop into position. Now, pulling the trigger again should make the hammer fall.

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:09:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/7/2002 12:12:27 PM EDT by SBR7_11]

Originally Posted By ECS:

You also need to test the thumb safety. Cock the pistol, engage the thumb safety. Hold the pistol normally, making sure the grip safety is held in. Then pull the trigger, the hammer should not fall.

I just want to add a clarification, with thumb safety applied, the trigger/sear movement should be totally blocked, except for the normal slop in trigger. Lug on safety should clear the sear by only a few thousandth's to swing up into position,,NO MORE,,sear should not move with thumb safe applied and trigger pulled.

You also need to test the disconnector. Cock the hammer. Hold the pistol normally and pull the trigger - DO NOT RELEASE THE TRIGGER!. The hammer should fall. While still holding the trigger in, cycle the slide. The hammer should stay cocked. Now release the trigger - you should hear/feel the disconnector pop into position. Now, pulling the trigger again should make the hammer fall.

Correct, good description.

NOTE--DO NOT RACK SLIDE and just let it fly/slam shut on an empty chamber, hang onto slide and "walk it" home.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:17:56 PM EDT
You should also check the 2nd phase of the Disconnector which will not allow it to fire out of battery.

With the hammer cocked, move the slide back out of battery approx. 3/16" and pull trigger, hammer should be Disconnected, now while you still have the trigger pulled move the slide back into battery release the trigger (you should feel the sear engage)pull the trigger and the hammer should fall.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:25:04 PM EDT
Thanks for all the good info.
Top Top