Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 2:47:44 PM EDT
So I've been tossing around the idea of buying a few cheap pistols once I get my new house, to keep stashed in the basement, garage, etc... and I can't help notice the exceptionally cheap Nagants out there.

If I go that route and get 2 or 3 of them, who has .32 ACP conversion cylinders in stock anymore?

Also, a little googling shows that some brave souls had cooked up 7.62x25 cylinders in the past.  While a .32 ACP cylinder has the advantage of common ammo with my P32, there's a strong draw to cheap, hot surplus 7.62x25.  Does anyone have experience with a 7.62x25 cylinder in a Nagant?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
foget the 32 apc cylinder if you really want one that bad let me know I'll sell mine.

The 1895 nagant shoots 32 magnum just fine and all seems to work well I have put just over 100 rounds of 32 magnum thru miy 1985 and have been quite happy I recommend going that route.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
i believe Classic Arms has the cylinders. I bought some .32 H&R mags for mine but have not yet tested them. I have read that they work fine, but the brass bulges too much for them to be reloaded.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
No way I would be brave enough for  7.62x25 in that pistol.

I had a bunch of .32acp cylinders at one time but couldn't get any of them to fit without hand fitting each one.

I shoot .32 H&R mag although it is at the max pressure limit.  I do get split cases, but the ejector rod pushes them right out.  Brass is plentiful from Starline.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Nagant ammo can be found at most gunshows.  Adding the 32 ACP cyclinder defeats the whole cheap handgun theory.  And 32 ACP ammo ain't cheap either.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 32 cylinder for my Nagant revolver.  I haven't shot it for a while, but IIRC it works w/ both 32 ACP & 32 S&W short.  

Most of the time I shoot reloads in the normal cylinder.  I purchased the Lee reloading dies for 7.62 Nagant Revolver, picked up some *- 32-20 brass, and found some appropriate bullets.  It works well, is close to the original ammo, and is cheap to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No way I would be brave enough for  7.62x25 in that pistol.

I had a bunch of .32acp cylinders at one time but couldn't get any of them to fit without hand fitting each one.

I shoot .32 H&R mag although it is at the max pressure limit.  I do get split cases, but the ejector rod pushes them right out.  Brass is plentiful from Starline.

I don't think 7.62x25 is a good idea its probably very unsafe, since the frame is meant for magant cartridges the gas seal would only make tthe problem worse.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Compare the 7.62 nagant and 7.62x25 Tok cartidrige pressures, and you would not want to try such a conversion.

.62 is a low pressure round, 7.62x35 Tok sounds lieka good way to have the gun rupture.  Even worse would be if you loaded a 7.62x25 Tok round that was loaded to SMG pressures (it does exist).

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If 7.62x25 converted Nagants were a good idea I'm sure the Soviets would have made them that way to simplify their logistics during the Great Patriotic War (only one handgun/smg round to issue regardless of what the end user was issued).

After reaming the cylinder for the fatter 7.62x25 cartridge there's not a whole lot of steel left & the 7.62x25 is half again as hot as 7.62x38R (~1500fps mv vs ~1000 or less).  Tokarev chambered Nagant= waiting to happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top