Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 11:44:41 PM EDT
do we have a 17 hmr section? I have a savage 17 hmr and would like to discuss acc. and ammo selection.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Rimfire Central.com has a lot of post and info on 17 HMR but I have not seen much on ARF.COM.  I went prairie dog shooting in Wy in July and my friend insisted I take is Savage 17 HMR.  I bought 500 rounds of Hornady 17 grain ammo for the trip and I liked the cartridge so well I came home and bought a Savage 93 FV bull barrel.  I had to sand the stock to relieve the barrel and torqued the action screws.  Now this rifle will shoot better than I can with Hornady 17 grain HMR.  I read where all 17 HMR ammo is loaded in a CCI/ATK plant in Idaho  except for Winchester 17 HMR.  

I bought a box of Federal 17 HMR just to try but I really like the accuracy of the Hornady 17 grain.  The 17 HMR really did a number on the prairie dogs and I had no trouble hitting PDs out to over 200 yards.  Several of my friends have had 17 HMR for years but I really didn't want another caliber.   After the trip to Wy I really think the 17 HMR fills a void between 22 LR and Centerfire 223/5.56.  I read where people were having failure to fire with the Winchester 17 HMR but I have had 4 or 5 failure to Fire with the Hornady ammo in my Savage.  Each round had a solid hit and fired on the second try?  I chalk it up to just my bad luck on my FTF, probably the ammo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the Hornaday ammo. I shot a man's 17 hmr CZ 452 twice at my range and that was enough for me. Dead nuts accurate and shot like a laser @ 100 yards. Took a couple of months and I finally found a gorgeous example of a CZ 452. Stuck a Nikon rimfire BDC scope on it that I had laying around. No problem putting 5 shots in a 1" circle at 100 yards with Hornaday 17gr. off a bag rest if the wind co-operates.. Back to the ammo. I've shot Hornaday  17gr. & 20gr. & Winchester 17 gr. The Hornaday 17 is scary accurate, but a breeze will push your groups if you don't account for it. The 20 gr. is good, but has more drop at 100 yards. The Winchester, I was not impressed with. I could not get near as tight groups at 50 or 100 yards. But it is still good for minute of bunny rabbit at 100 yards. I have not tried any CCI yet as I have not found any local. Rimfire Central is a good place to learn about 17hmr. Very friendly and informative.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I loved my 17hmr for pdog hunting. Quieter than a big bore and  didn't spook most of the dogs. Crazy accurate out to 100 with hornady 17gr as sometimes all I had as a target was 1/2 a head or a nose/eye, which was enough for the 17.  Pleased with it out to 175/200 yards and the  once all those dogs are spooked/shot out, we move to the bigger bores.   Mine was a ruger 77/17. We jb welded 2 rotary mags butt to butt  so you could hit the paddle mag release, flip it 180 deg and reinsert the new mag. Good times...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top