Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2011 12:43:25 PM EDT
Im gonna start my entry into the lever-gun world with a .357 mag because i have 2 Ruger .357mag revolvers. After lots of thinking/debating Im gonna START(because i know people will frown upon this but just remember i will buy other lever-guns ) with a Rossi. Both of my revolvers are stainless so Im gonn aget the Stainless Rossi.

My question is do you reccomend the 16inch or 20inch barrel? I know that perosnal preference/weight/feel/etc... will be the determining factor but I would really appreciate the forums opinion since this is my 1st lever-gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Buddy of mines wife has a MARLIN made in the US of A rifle in .357 with a 16 inch barrel that is great. She owns the first 100 yards with this rifle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a personal thing.  Shoulder and swing both as if leading a target.  Some folks find the shorter barrel better, other the longer.  Using .357 ammo that's been loaded for use in a pistol, you'll get just about all the velocity increase you're going to get out of the 16" tube.  But, if you handload, you can tailor rounds that will take advantage of the 20" barrel.  You can still use these in a handgun, but the muzzle flash is generally quite a bit greater, than rounds tailored for a handgun.

The other consideration is magazine capacity.  If both have full lenght magazine tubes, the 20" barrel will get you a couple of extra rounds.
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I'm not a fan of the 16" levergun.  I've got two Rossi 357mags, both a 20" carbine and a 24" oct bbl rifle and they are both a ton of fun to shoot.  All the way out to 300yds with a pistol round on my rifle setup below!  I still grin every time I ring the steel with mine.  My carbine is great at hitting a 8" steel plate at 175yds too.  The 38spl and 357mag are almost too much fun to shoot to be legal!

Link Posted: 4/10/2011 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#4]
There's only a small difference in ballistics between 16" and 20"........go handle them both and let your hands tell you what to buy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two Rossi's in .357 mag, one 16" and one 24".

I much prefer the 24".

Unless you're about five feet tall you're going to feel all scrunched up and uncomfortable with the 16". You basically have to choose whether you want a decent sight picture or if you want to have the stock properly tucked into your shoulder....you can't get both. If they made a 16" with a full size stock I'd be all over that.  

Like others have said, handle both and see which you like.

Link Posted: 4/10/2011 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got my stainless Rossi 357 trapper (16 inch) back from Steve Young, who worked his magic on the action, shitcanned the safety on the bolt, and installed a steel magazine follower.  It was just delivered Friday and I haven't had it to the range yet, but I have a 44 Mag just like it that has killed a few feral hogs.  I like the 44 so well that I bought a 357 just like it.  

I have both 16 and 20 inch leverguns, the two Rossi's are 16 inch stainless, and I also have two Browning B92's.  These are 20 inch saddle ring carbines in 357 and 44 Mag.  The Rossi .44 is actually more accurate than my Browning, but not by a lot.  I also like the square sights on the Rossi's imported by LSI and now Braztech.  Since most of my open sight shooting is with revolvers, I prefer the patridge style sights.

The real difference between the 16 and 20 inch lever guns is the way they look and the way they handle.  For me the 16 inchers are a lot handier and I don't find any disadvantages to the shorter barrel.  These are 100 yard and under guns for me.  I have bolt guns and precision AR's for longer range stuff, but for me the leverguns are more fun.

I also have Marlins with barrel lengths from 18.5 to 22 inches.  I prefer the shorter barrels on these too.

Link Posted: 4/10/2011 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with the 16"

It's short, light, and handy like a CAR-15

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the shorter ones by far. 20in is too long and unwieldy, and 24 is just dumb.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 Rossi's in .357 both in stainless. One is 16in and the other is 20in. I take the 16in with me on trips 95% of the time. I find it handier and easier to bring along. I think I'm going to have the 20in rifle cut down to 18in and see how I like it. Otherwise I think the 16in is much handier.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
.............and 24 is just dumb.

See that big rock out there.........go sit behind it...........and then stand up when my 24" barreled rifles bore you with their dumbness!
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I much prefer the 24".

Unless you're about five feet tall you're going to feel all scrunched up and uncomfortable with the 16". You basically have to choose whether you want a decent sight picture or if you want to have the stock properly tucked into your shoulder....you can't get both. If they made a 16" with a full size stock I'd be all over that.  

So you re saying the 16" has a shorter stock than the 20"/24"?

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I much prefer the 24".

So you re saying the 16" has a shorter stock than the 20"/24"?
Yup.

Length of pull is about an inch shorter and drop at the comb is a few 8ths lower. But I just took those measurements with a tape measure so don't quote me on that.

I'll also add that I may have been exaggerating how uncomfortable I was with the 16". Since I got it out to measure it I've been playing with it and it's not as bad as I remember. I think the combination of really liking the 24" and not having shot the 16" in a long time built it up into something worse than it really was.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Buddy of mines wife has a MARLIN made in the US of A rifle in .357 with a 16 inch barrel that is great. She owns the first 100 yards with this rifle.

Marlin only made them for a short time with the 16" barrel. They are pretty pricey when found used(which is difficult).

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I prefer the shorter ones by far. 20in is too long and unwieldy, and 24 is just dumb.

Methinks you just don't understand.

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont understand the along barrel turns a light, handy carbine into an unwieldy, heavy turd, with nothing to offer over a full bore rifle?
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I dont understand the along barrel turns a light, handy carbine into an unwieldy, heavy turd, with nothing to offer over a full bore rifle?

Opinions are like asses.......

Have you actually fired a 24" barreled rifle?

Have you actually carried a 24" barreled rifle in the field?

I have seven pistol caliber leverguns........5 of them are 24" barrels..........and I've shot over 50,000 rounds thru them in total.

I shoot 24" barrels in Cowboy Competition.........and people keep telling me that the 18" and 20" barrels swing faster and are "handier" and lighter.

Then I outshoot them with my "unwieldy, heavy turd".

Hummmph..........
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Like I said, methinks you just don't understand.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Opinions are like asses.......

Have you actually fired a 24" barreled rifle?

Have you actually carried a 24" barreled rifle in the field?

I have seven pistol caliber leverguns........5 of them are 24" barrels..........and I've shot over 50,000 rounds thru them in total.

I shoot 24" barrels in Cowboy Competition.........and people keep telling me that the 18" and 20" barrels swing faster and are "handier" and lighter.

Then I outshoot them with my "unwieldy, heavy turd".

Hummmph..........

They do, and are. However....that extra length and weight out front makes for a more fluid swing. It's not as jerky on stops/starts.... Not really any different than a shotgun.

I'm pretty partial to short and light. I wish we had bought two of the Marlin 1894CP's(16.25" barrel) in .357 instead of just one, plus one in .44, and another in .45 Colt. It would be even better if marlin would make some more of them, preferably without that stupid safety.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I've all had three lengths. I guess I'm must a middle of the road kind of guy because the 20" seems to have the best of two worlds.
Short and handy to use but long enough to feel like you have a real rifle in your hand.
I've got a Winnne 94 with a 16" barrel in 45 LC that I hardly ever shoot.
The Marlin 45 LC with 24" octagonal barrel didn't stay long.
The Rossi 92 in 357 is getting used a lot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You Sissy!..........

I've got 3 of those and LOVE THEM!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You Sissy!..........

Three? Is that because you can't find one you can hit with?
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You Sissy!..........

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe a bit OT, but I like the 24" barrel on my Marlin 39A. It is heavier but the extra 8 inches of sight plane over a 16" barrel make using irons a cinch.
I have handled the 16" in .38/.357 and they seem a bit small to me  (6'2") but if I was hunting in heavy brush they would make a lot more sense.
Bought a Marlin 1894 in .44 with the 20 inch barrel and it doesn't feel long at all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You Sissy!..........

How did you guess I was jealous?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#25]
i have a browning 1892 replica in .357

its real nice and fun to shoot

do you guys hunt anything with these pistol caliber lever guns?  I would not hunt deer with a .357 personally.  Just curious what you guys do with your guns besides target shoot
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#26]
.357, especially out of a rifle barrel, makes a damn fine deer cartridge.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd get the 20 unless I was buying it for home defense.  Nothing wrong with 24 inch either.  It's hard to miss with a 24 inch barrel and peeps.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
.357, especially out of a rifle barrel, makes a damn fine deer cartridge.

+1 ... haven't shot a deer with one yet, but it did great on a wild hog.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Hicap, a .357 can be humanly and effectively used for deer hunting here in GA.  My order of preference is a .45 black powder Hawken clone, 45./454. M1892 Rosi or an Auto-5 12 gauge.  All have one thing in common, I’m going to be in a thicket up close and personal with the deer, not in a tower stand taking 300 ft. shots into a bean field (nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea).  A .357 could be used effectively.  You would just need to practice and get a level of comfort for it’s range and knockdown power.

Hopefully, I'll be hunting at Hard Labor Creek State Park this year.  I'll also be hunting south of Waynesboro.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hicap, a .357 can be humanly and effectively used for deer hunting here in GA.  My order of preference is a .45 black powder Hawken clone, 45./454. M1892 Rosi or an Auto-5 12 gauge.  All have one thing in common, I’m going to be in a thicket up close and personal with the deer, not in a tower stand taking 300 ft. shots into a bean field (nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea).  A .357 could be used effectively.  You would just need to practice and get a level of comfort for it’s range and knockdown power.

Hopefully, I'll be hunting at Hard Labor Creek State Park this year.  I'll also be hunting south of Waynesboro.

good to know, agree you want to be relatively up close, say less than 100 yds which is pretty common in GA,  

i have always hunted deer with an '06, but may try the .357 - its all about shot placement anyway

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
.... but may try the .357 - its all about shot placement anyway

Please realize the bullet will make a huge difference too. Many pistol HPs will not get real deep penetration. You need a good bullet that will expand a great deal, hold together without breaking up, and go deep to tear up as many organs as possible in a 357 magnum cartridge.
You can make a great shot but the bullet may not have the kinetic energy to get deep to tear up those organs you want destroyed i.e. lungs, heart, etc.
I went to a 180 gr hard cast flat point for shooting out of my Rossi 92 with 20" barrel. I haven't shot a deer with that load yet but I think it will perform far better than a hollow point. I've killed several deer over the years with the 357 magnum but all were with handguns loaded with 158 gr solid bullets.
I have dropped a coyote with the 180 gr bullet out of a 3" Model 65 S&W at 90 yards so it's performance should be much better out of a 20" barrel on a deer at the same distance.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#32]
ive got a marlin 1894c with the 16" barrel. Nice and compact. Tons of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Absolutely get the 20".

The issue is not the handiness of the gun –– they both are handy.  THE issue is the magazine capacity of the gun.  The 20" will hold ten rounds.  This is the minimum required for types of competition that use such a rifle.  When the time comes to sell it (and it will –– been there, done that), the 20" will find a market.  The 16" will have little residual value.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top