Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/29/2011 4:48:02 AM EDT
Is it possible to cut a Garand down to 16"? Would it start breaking parts ect? Who could do it?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:13:58 AM EDT
Shuff's has a "Mini-G". I personally don't have any experience but there's guys on here who have em. I'm sure they'll chime in soon. I've only ever heard good things about Shuff's Parkerizing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:10:48 AM EDT
I have a "Tanker" Garand. The name is a misnomer. Back in the day. And I mean Waaaaay back. When you could buy Garands by the bushel basket for under a hundred bucks each. Guy's would chop them up into all kinds of weird configurations. The 16" was quite popular. Remember back then the only carbine to be had was the M1 carbine. I have some of the 60's era literature on them. They are problematic. Excessively blasty in 30 06. But if you can find a builder that knows what he is doing.....Warbird.......You can get one hell of a fun rifle chambered in 308. I have heard that they have a horrendous muzzle blast. I don't know. After rapidly shooting off an en bloc clip out of mine. I always wait for the shooters nearby to remove their hands from their ears and ask " Is this thing blasty". I get various response's.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:18:19 AM EDT
I built a "Tanker" in 308Win for myself, and one in 30-06 for my brother. I much prefer the 308. I agree with a previouis poster, that the 30-06 is too blasty.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:34:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 7:34:49 AM EDT by JohnRippert]
I got a Smith Enterprises Garand brake and a Schuster gas plug to put on my .30-06 Tanker when I get to building it. It will make those to either side of me jump a mite, but they did that anyway with my CETME and brake.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:35:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 8:50:45 AM EDT by MrHold]
I have an old NRA publication that converts an M-1 into a sporter you will need American Rifleman Reprint The M-1 Rifle marked 5th printing
it uses reprints from American Rifleman July 55 August 55 December 58 January 61

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:22:17 AM EDT

This is one of my Mini-Gs, which is still in the original 30-06. Tim Shufflin does know what he is doing and produces variants that work properly. Due to the adjustable gas plug he installs, I don't think there are any cycling induced hardships above and beyond the standard Garand. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:47:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Southern_Raider:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/CTinNV/DSC00251.jpg

This is one of my Mini-Gs, which is still in the original 30-06. Tim Shufflin does know what he is doing and produces variants that work properly. Due to the adjustable gas plug he installs, I don't think there are any cycling induced hardships above and beyond the standard Garand. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Very Nice, how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:39:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JKnight:
Shuff's has a "Mini-G". I personally don't have any experience but there's guys on here who have em. I'm sure they'll chime in soon. I've only ever heard good things about Shuff's Parkerizing.

*chime*

Have one, love it to death!

Not sure how Tim ever gets any work done, though, 'cause he spent a LOT of time helping me through some issues and sorting out just what I needed to have done.

Can't say enough good stuff about Shuff's!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:20:47 AM EDT
That is awesome.

What is the OAL and weight of that rifle?

I bet you get all warm and fuzzy thinking about shooting zombies everytime you pull that weapon out of the safe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:29:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By west467:
Originally Posted By Southern_Raider:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/CTinNV/DSC00251.jpg

Very Nice, how does it shoot?

That one shoots great. No malfunctions and with the DGR laminate stock it is a solid. I haven't really shot it at distance for groups yet (I do a lot of 25m Appleseed style shooting for basic practice).
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:30:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By akconvert:
That is awesome.

What is the OAL and weight of that rifle?

I bet you get all warm and fuzzy thinking about shooting zombies everytime you pull that weapon out of the safe.

Let me get back to you with some info. I'm at work right now and am actually wearing my Zombie Hunter hat as I type.
Top Top