Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/6/2002 2:45:42 PM EST
Ok a couple of years ago I bought a Norinco SKS at a gun show, with no idea what it was. I love it, one of my favorite guns. But I'm looking around at different SKS's and I noticed that they all have 20" barrels. Mine looks different so I measured the barrel. Its about 16 inches long. I cant find any information on it. I saw an ad in an old Guns&Ammo magazine (june 1990) for a Navy Arms "cowboy carbine" that was a 16.5" SKS. Thats the only info I have on it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:06:05 PM EST
It's probably one of the Paratrooper models.... Think M16A2/M4. One is just a carbine length shorter than the full size. It probably has a shorter bayonet than the standard 20" too IIRC. I have one and thats about all I know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:54:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:54:09 PM EST
Why would BJB ban CHINESE rifles? he was already in bed with them, why not buy their guns too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:38:54 PM EST
I actually had one of those, the 16" para SKS! Totally pimped mine out, removed the bayonet and lug, installed a M16A2 flash suppressor, threaded the barrel, opened up the FS to .30 cal, installed a folding stock, installed a Williams rear peep sight, has some of the early USA detachable 30 round mags that worked great! Sold as a package deal in back in 1991 to finance a race car project!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:54:31 PM EST
I have one of the 16" SKS paratrooper models too. Mine takes AK mags. It is the SKS-M. M stands for Monte Carlo. There were two versions of the SKS that takes AK mags. The other version had a thumbhole stock ( that most people do not like ).

I bought mine before the AWB and have loved it! My friend'd son loves it too. Anytime we would go shooting he would ask if I was bringing the SKS. So this year for his 16th birthday I went in with his father and we got him one. We ould not find a SKS-M in time for his birthday so we settled for the thumbhole stock. He could care less ! I think he has finally stopped sleeping with it in his bed...
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:25:20 PM EST
I saw this great little twist lock type M14-style f/s but then you cant use the bayonet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:18:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:07:02 AM EST
Used to have one.....16"bbl.....std stock and drop box mag.......put it in plastic....totally inaccurate.....traded it...........
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:11:47 AM EST
Nope - It can have only ONE evil feature - but since most of them have a bayo lug - you're done.

Tony

Oh, yeah... I have a 16" Norinco paratrooper and I love it - it out-shoots all my other Com-Bloc stuff.

Tony
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:56:46 AM EST
forgive me - a liitle confused by the above two posts. I have a 16" I bought in 92 or 93 (no idea whent it was imported). If take the bayo lug off, technically, could I add an "evil" feature (like a folding stock?)?

(do you ever get tired of these types of questions?)
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:45:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/7/2002 6:48:56 AM EST by Slacker]
So this:
is a no go?

The stock is a folder but it doesn't have a bayonet lug or a threaded bbl. It is the Model-D, came with the thumbhole stock. Shoots great. I'm looking to put a cheepy red dot on it.
It isn't currently in this configuration, at least not until I replace enough parts with US made ones.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:31:19 AM EST
Neat. But how do you open a beer bottle with it?
In before the lock!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:28:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:52:04 PM EST
why would they lock this thread?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:56:12 PM EST
Mine came with a bayo lug and the spike type bayonet. Regular stock, scope mount. If it came with the bayonet is it still illegal?
Youre worrying me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:16:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By Troy:

Originally Posted By freshhoarse:

Slacker,

Your pictured gun is absolutely illegal. I see a pistol grip, folding stock, flash suppressor (which, if 22mm, is also a grenade launcher), and a questionable bipod, though that one could be argued.

Troy,
Thanks for all the info. I'm a little confused about the 22mm flash suppressor/grenaade laucher issue. Can you elaborate?
Also, the SKS in the pic I posted has no bipod.
Thats a suppressed 10/22 bbl with a el cheapo bipod on it. (keeps it from rolling off the table when I'm working on it) Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:26:33 AM EST
Knock Knock...WHo is there...ATF come a knocking saw you Illegal SKS on AR15.com...Hand it over along with all your other toys.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:47:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:32:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By edpmedic:
Knock Knock...WHo is there...ATF come a knocking saw you Illegal SKS on AR15.com...Hand it over along with all your other toys.

Dave's not here man...neither is his SKS.
Try the next house down...
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:21:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/10/2002 6:18:31 AM EST by Valkyre]
Troy,

So it came with the mounted bayonet, but thats illegal? huh. What if I take the bayonet off? Or does it matter as long as I dont go hauling around Dallas with it in the back seat. Loaded. And chambered. With the safety off. Anyway.
I kinda like the bayonet, I use it for crossing fences. (Stab bayonet into ground, jump fence, pull rifle out of ground)
I hunt deer with it.
Standard 10-round box magazine, not pistol-grip stock, no threads on the barrel, no flash suppressor. Thats ok right? cause just one evil?

Edited to add: Mines a Norinco
Top Top