Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/26/2009 5:38:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2009 5:45:21 AM EDT by JohnStoner]
Not looking for conjecture and opinion, hopefully someone has first hand experience with this one:

Some 9MM can's operate on the Beretta M9 without the need of a Neilson's Device/ Booster/ LCD. Is it feasible to use a 13.5x1 LH boostered can on a Beretta M9/92FS ? Will damage occur?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:20:46 AM EDT
I have never seen a M9 not function with boosterless can. A M9 will be hard on the booster unless you render the booster inoperable by replacing the spring with a metal sleeve.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2009 5:34:47 PM EDT by JohnStoner]
I figured that was the case, so a booster on a Beretta M9 = damage. Sad day, guess I'll leave that can dedicated to the M9 and swap the other to 3-lug.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:20:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JohnStoner:
I figured that was the case, so a booster on a Beretta M9 = damage. Sad day, guess I'll leave that can dedicated to the M9 and swap the other to 3-lug.

Really? I called TROS and asked them specifically about that since I have one of their 9mm cans and he told me that it wouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:29:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SP95:
I have never seen a M9 not function with boosterless can.

Try hanging a subgun can on the end of the Beretta. I'm pretty sure the gun would choke with an MK9 or a CAC-9 installed. Also, look in the archives or over on silencertalk. There are a number of people that have reported having problems getting their boosterless pistol cans (not heavy subgun cans) to cycle.

A M9 will be hard on the booster unless you render the booster inoperable by replacing the spring with a metal sleeve.

I'm pretty sure SWR recommends using the booster on an M9. The barrel does move, just not in the same manner as a Browning-type action. It would be different than putting a boostered can on a fixed-barreled gun. You might need to get a different weight booster spring for the can to work optimally, but again it would not be the same as running a booster on a fixed barrel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:16:08 PM EDT
I emailed SWR a while back on this. They recommend using the LCD on a Beretta.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:18:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Assaulter:
I emailed SWR a while back on this. They recommend using the LCD on a Beretta.

I have heard them many times saying this as well.................
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:19:24 AM EDT
YES! This was the experience I was hoping for. I know with light 9mm cans the beretta can function sans LCD/neilson device. I have an Impuls IIa and a spare beretta barrel. I'll throw the 3 lug on my Trinity and leave it on my 9mm carbines and use the Swiss Impuls IIa on all my pistols. Thanks mates.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:40:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
I have never seen a M9 not function with boosterless can.

Try hanging a subgun can on the end of the Beretta. I'm pretty sure the gun would choke with an MK9 or a CAC-9 installed. Also, look in the archives or over on silencertalk. There are a number of people that have reported having problems getting their boosterless pistol cans (not heavy subgun cans) to cycle.

A M9 will be hard on the booster unless you render the booster inoperable by replacing the spring with a metal sleeve.

I'm pretty sure SWR recommends using the booster on an M9. The barrel does move, just not in the same manner as a Browning-type action. It would be different than putting a boostered can on a fixed-barreled gun. You might need to get a different weight booster spring for the can to work optimally, but again it would not be the same as running a booster on a fixed barrel.

I guess I am just lucky then because every m9 I have hung a can on has cycled flawlessly,but you are right I have never hung a sub-gun can on one(and probably never will,along with looking in the archives at silencer talk). I still say an m9 is going to be hard a booster without at least putting a stiffer spring in.I am not saying it wont work.I am just saying at the very least it is going to shorten the lifespan a bit. I have a slow mo video somewhere (I will see if I can find it)showing the difference between a 226 and a m9 on a multi-mount and on a form 1 can I made and you can easily see the difference in the amount of travel.But like I said before maybe I am just lucky because I also had no problems with a usp45 and a blackside and a 1911 with a form 1 boosterless can.I also dont own any swr cans,so if that is what they reccommend on their cans I say go for it.This is a little off subject but we got a gemtech sandstorm in the other day and it is awesome in every way. I might have to buy it for myself.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:41:15 AM EDT
Top Top