Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/29/2012 10:11:33 AM EDT
I think i'm going to cut my FDE 716 down to a 12.5. Anyone want to talk me out of it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:17:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By lmt-ar:
I think i'm going to cut my FDE 716 down to a 12.5. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

I just mailded off my form 1 for my Scar 17 to be cut down to 13"/ buy a spare barrel. Gonna run it w sdn6 i sent forms in for.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:25:48 AM EDT
I'm all for it if:

-You have the special barrel nut tool for the 716 (that Sig will not sell you) - (Not positive about this one but I know with the 515, the barrel nut is smaller and that a standard barrel wrench will not work on it).
-You know exactly how the decreased dwell time with affect the piston's ability to cycle and have data on the delta in gas pressures.
-You have figured out the precise dimensions and have the tools available to alter the size of the vents on the adjustable gas valve.
-You know how to get the gas block off (believe me, its not easy and you could easily render the GB useless)
-You know the correct diameter that the barrel gas vent hole should be opened up to and have the proper tools to do the work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:49:32 AM EDT
My friend assembles the rifle for sig so I am hoping to be covered in the removal of the barrel. I did a quick google search and found that sig had a 12.5 at shot show in 2010 maybe? I guess i am really looking for information on that gun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 11:03:59 AM EDT
My friend assembles the rifle for sig so I am hoping to be covered in the removal of the barrel. I did a quick google search and found that sig had a 12.5 at shot show in 2010 maybe? I guess i am really looking for information on that gun.

Look up Marvin Pitts. He is taking my 516 from 16 to 10.5 as we speak. I think mine is his first 516 project so if you decide use him, he might have learned a few tricks on the 516 that would carry over to the 716.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 11:39:44 AM EDT
Thank you. I should get in touch with him. 10.5 is an awesome upper. Your going to love that thing. I love mine suppressed. I was just looking at adco. The website says gas port work will be done if neccessary. To who's disgression? Im assuming mine? I wonder if they would have any thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2012 1:16:11 PM EDT by PFran42]
Thank you. I should get in touch with him. 10.5 is an awesome upper. Your going to love that thing. I love mine suppressed. I was just looking at adco. The website says gas port work will be done if neccessary. To who's disgression? Im assuming mine? I wonder if they would have any thoughts.

That's why I deferred to Marvin. He will cut it, reassemble, test fire, collect data, try different powered ammo and then go back, re-disassemble and open up any gas ports or make any adjustments he believes are in line with the requests I made as to how I would be using the rifle. He even told me to send him my buffer and buffer spring so that he could mirror the action I will experience once I get everything back.
Top Top