Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 1:43:12 PM EDT
Does anyone have one?  I have been reading alot of old posts to decide between a pump or an auto.  I read that some autos have problems with low recoil ammo.  Any input on this one or any other comments about it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That depends largely on whether the shotgun has a 2-3/4" chamber or 3" chamber.

With regard to the Remington 1100, the old 3" magnum models have one large gas port compared to two, small gas ports found in the 2-3/4" chambered versions.

The field grade versions of the 11-87 were intended to function with 3" mags or the heavier 2-3/4" field loads.

Light loads, such as target shotshells often do not produce enough gas pressure over the ports to cycle the action. This was a definite problem with the 3" magnum model and even in the later 11-87 , the target grade versions came equipped with NON PRESSURE COMPENSATED barrels chambered for 2-3/4" shells only, to ensure they would function w/ lighter, target grade shotshells
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The 1100 Tactical (the od green one) is brand spankin' new.  If you know of any dealers that actually have them in stock please, do tell.

I'm quite curious why you want to use reduced recoil ammo.  By reducing the recoil the muzzle velocity is also reduced.

An 1100 due to it's gas operated system is already going to reduce some of the felt recoil by design.  In my experimentation with an 1100 with a factory 21" and 28" barrel, my recommendation is to use full-powered ammo in the shorter barrels.  To further reduce felt recoil, replace the factory pad with a quality recoil pad by Limbsaver, or get the Remington R3 pad since it's the same thing.  The LimbSaver pads work so well that they enable me to shoot 3" slugs from one of my 870's with no pain or bruising.

Another option if recoil or reducing recoil is a real issue, switch to a 20gauge.  Remington has 18" barrelled guns in an 870, 1100, and 11-87.  Those all have screw-in chokes for added versatility.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My thinking was that it will be easier to get my wife to practice shooting it with the reduced recoil stuff.  I talked to someone at impactguns.com today and they had some in the warehouse for $649.95.  I didn't ask how many.  they have a couple on gunbroker.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Aha, I see.  I was/am doing something similar for my wife too.  I customized her gun to fit her (smaller frame shooter).  I removed 1 1/2" from the stock and added a LimbSaver pad.  This is a 12gauge.  

I've got around 150 rounds of different reduced recoil buckshot and slug loads.

I've also got a 20gauge I customized, but for myself.

That 20gauge is lighter and handles much better.  I'm going to let her shoot both of them.  I have a sneaking suspicion that she will like that 20gauge more.  In the long run that will be good because the 20gauge only has full-powered ammo available.  That gun also has screw-in chokes so it serves many purposes.

I can sell off the 12gauge and buy myself a new 20gauge; again, this is a good thing.

If I had it to do over, I'd start by buying her an 1100 or 870 youth 20gauge to begin with.

I don't know how much shooting your wife does, what she's shot, and so on.  

The one thing I do know is that you really have to listen to women.  When it comes to guns and guy stuff, we think we know everything, including what's best for them.  But, if we can stop instructing and listen, women will tell us exactly what they want and what they like.  

The other thing that affects the guns in our house is physical differences.  I'm 6"1' and 165lbs, and my wife is 5'3" and 1??lbs.  A gun that fits me properly is completely wrong for her.  Any gun that fits her is going to be too small and proportioned all goofy for me.  So, there are "her" guns, and "my" guns.

The closest I've come to a shotgun that's fits both of us is that 20gauge.  It has a youth stock that fits her perfectly, and all I have to do is put on the slip-on pad to add the length I need.  The problem arises with the forend slide tube.  The slide tube in the pic is for a regular gun.  That doesn't work for her.  For her I'll have to put the original youth length slide tube back on.

I'm certainly not telling you what to do here.  I'm just recapping some of my experiences in hopes that it will help you with your decision.  Since you asked for input and comments originally, I'd say buy the 1100 Tactical for yourself; I'm sure it's a fine gun like all the other Remington products.  For her or for recreational shooting for both of you, get a nice 870 20gauge with a 26" barrel (give or take).  At the end of a day of shooting informal clays, or milk jugs, or whatever, you'll both be disappointed that you ran out of ammo or things to shoot at.  You'll both have had so much you'll swear that you'll do it again soon... And the best part is you got to buy 2 guns!

Thanks for the tip on Impact guns.  A couple weeks ago I couldn't find the Tactical 1100's anywhere.  $650?!  That's a lot less than I expected they'd be.  I'll look into that.  Thanks again for the tip!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If the goal is to get your wife into some practice shooting why bother spending the money on an 1100
tactical? There are plenty of basic 1100s in field configuration you can buy for half the price of a "tactical" and the savings either saved or spent on ammunition for practice?

I've been shooting trap in registered ATA competition for over 25 years and have seen Grand American events won with shooters using beat up old, field grade model 12s and K-mart 1100s

A field grade gun with a stock that fits well and versatile screw in chokes will allow all forms of clay shooting and I wouldn't bother with slugs and high recoiling buckshot and similar loads until she has developed comfort and a level of confidence with the target grade stuff first. Just my opinion
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]
It would primarily be a HD gun.  I don't have a shotgun.  If my wife ever had to grab a gun i would rather her have a shotgun than her pistol.   The most recoil she has felt from a long gun was from a M16.  I don't know how she will take to the recoil.  She is pretty small.  I just want her to shoot it enough to be comforitible and farmiliar with it.  Then i also start to think maybe it would be better to get the 870 in the 18" so it would be lighter for her and less than half the cost.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Looking at an 1100 since your wife is a smaller frame shooter is not a bad idea.  The forends on semiautos come all the way back to the receiver; this makes it easier to grab the forend comfortably, elbow bent not straight.  For the same reason, don't get/put a short "tactical" forend on an 870 if she is to use it.  Those extra few inches hanging off the back are crucial.

I'm not sure what 870 you are considering, but the Tacticals might work.  The 20gauge versions I mentioned previously will work.  The Davis/SpeedFeed IVs stock w/R3 pad on any of these will make a difference.

Let us know what you decide on and get.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top