Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2011 11:34:27 AM EDT
I'm about to start another SBR build and want to get my rail all the way out to the suppressor.  Will I have clearance issues with the can touching the rail on this setup?  Can I get a factory barrel that is 10.7" to ensure I have enough clearance?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]

This is my 10.5 LMT. It should work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want clearance for a suppressor, get a carbine gas barrel and have it threaded and chopped about .1" past the end of the rail.  You'll have clearance for it then.  Just mark it off with masking tape so that you can send it to someone like ADCO who will make it perfect.

When I did my first shorty upper I used a YHM Specter forearm, and it allowed barrel threading to start exactly as the rail ended.  Here's a YHM 30cal QD on my 10.5"

With thread protector:

This is a Wilson Combat 6.8 12" barrel with a Troy 11" rail

The ratcheting plate moves back a little bit but perhaps only 1/8" or so when a suppressor is tightened to it.  This plate is what needs to clear that rail.  I'd install the rail over a 16" barrel and mark where it ends and get the threading to begin there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I tried this EXACT setup and the way I made it work was to put TWO crush washers on ahead of the FH.  I have no idea if this was a bad idea or not, but I got a great deal on the MRF and it WON'T work otherwise.  It is VERY close, but you need the additional crush washer width....then no problem. I have converted to a different config subsequently, but ran it that way for a while.  Simple solution would be to get the 9"MRF, but you prob already know that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Doing a crush washer behind a suppressor mount isn't a great idea as the mount might cause the suppressor's bore to go out concentricity with the barrel. OP: get a barrel chopped and threaded 1/8" or 3/16" past the rail's termination so that you've got room to wrench a suppressor mount without pulling the rail off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top