Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2013 1:06:11 PM EDT
So I took my stock 10/22 Take down and tried shooting it with and without the barrel band to see if there would be a difference at 25 yards. I thought there would not be a difference, but there was even though it was very little. However my zero would change when there was no band on my 10/22 TD at 25 yards which was odd to me. So at the end of the day I'll just leave the barrel band on, and leave it at that. I shot at my local indoor range so there was no wind at play here, and I would love to try 50/100 yards, but no time to drive an hour to the outdoor range.

Shoots were taken off a front sandbag on a bench with my hand as a rear support

Ammunition used was Fiocchi 40 grain lead round nose solids, and I shot 5/5 shot groups

Scope used was the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32 and was on 4.5x for every group

Target used is from 1 MOA all day challenge in GD

10/22 TD weighing in at 6 pounds loaded with 10 rounds

Rapid fire groups

Slow fire

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Please tell me where I can get some of those targets to print. TIA, 44-40
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please tell me where I can get some of those targets to print. TIA, 44-40
View Quote
Go to General discussion and type in 1 moa on the search, and then they should be in the OP.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link. I'll print some off when I get home. 44
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
initially, i was under the impression that the barrel band had a big detrimental effect on accuracy. in fact, i ended up chopping off the piece of stock that the band attached to. for a stock 10/22 shooting bulk ammo, this was a mistake. Not only did I not see tighter groups, but the whole action actually separated from the stock after a few mags with only the take down screw holding it all together, lol. My point is, if absolute accuracy is what your after, dont go cheap and easy
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine (older 10/22) shoots just fine with the barrel band, so I left it alone.  

I've heard the same stuff about it hurting the accuracy.  Maybe on some rifles it does.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

initially, i was under the impression that the barrel band had a big detrimental effect on accuracy. in fact, i ended up chopping off the piece of stock that the band attached to. for a stock 10/22 shooting bulk ammo, this was a mistake. Not only did I not see tighter groups, but the whole action actually separated from the stock after a few mags with only the take down screw holding it all together, lol. My point is, if absolute accuracy is what your after, dont go cheap and easy
View Quote
Yea if I was trying to get 1MOA at 50/100 I would not have bought the take down. Just wanted to test mine out and like you said on a stock 10/22 its better with the band on.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've heard the same stuff about it hurting the accuracy.  Maybe on some rifles it does.
View Quote

My 1970  10/22 is a half inch rifle @ 50 yards with a scope. 1" at 50 with tech sights. The barrel band must not bother to much. Mine's stock except for trigger work.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonder if it would be different with a solid stock?
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My 1970  10/22 is a half inch rifle @ 50 yards with a scope. 1" at 50 with tech sights. The barrel band must not bother to much. Mine's stock except for trigger work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I remember reading that when using the 10/22 with a sling attached to the band is where it can hurt accuracy cause of the pressure when using the sling for support.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wonder if it would be different with a solid stock?
View Quote
I wonder too, and the main problem was losing zero when the band was off, but once I put it back on it kept it's zero.

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Without something helping to hold the 10/22 barrel on and pointing relativlely straight, it will point up, down, sideways, all over the place. I have even had the barrel fall right off the gun while I was shooting it. The 10/22 slip-in barrel mounting is definately the weak link on this gun.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Without something helping to hold the 10/22 barrel on and pointing relativlely straight, it will point up, down, sideways, all over the place. I have even had the barrel fall right off the gun while I was shooting it. The 10/22 slip-in barrel mounting is definately the weak link on this gun.  
View Quote
Wow the barrel fell off?

Was it not held in place by the screw?
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
The screw holds the action to the stock.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The screw holds the action to the stock.
View Quote
I' sorry I was thinking about the Take Down which has a screw for the action and one for the barrel.

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Well. While checking zeroes on a new to me 1994 Walnut stocked sporter today, I decided to play both with and without the barrel band.  The gun ended up shooting tighter groups at 25 yards withOUT the metal barrel band.  I'm pretty sure it was shooting better without the band due to the way the factory channel on the stock has a bulge in the middle, pushing the barrel up, when the band is installed it begins to push the barrel back down.  I'm just hypothesizing, but for that 10/22 WITHOUT works better.

Now I've already done similar tests with my 10/22 stainless international with a mannlicher stock and stainless muzzle cap.  That rifle shoots better WITH the cap, which keeps the muzzle firm to the stock.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Well. While checking zeroes on a new to me 1994 Walnut stocked sporter today, I decided to play both with and without the barrel band.  The gun ended up shooting tighter groups at 25 yards withOUT the metal barrel band.  I'm pretty sure it was shooting better without the band due to the way the factory channel on the stock has a bulge in the middle, pushing the barrel up, when the band is installed it begins to push the barrel back down.  I'm just hypothesizing, but for that 10/22 WITHOUT works better.

Now I've already done similar tests with my 10/22 stainless international with a mannlicher stock and stainless muzzle cap.  That rifle shoots better WITH the cap, which keeps the muzzle firm to the stock.
View Quote
Yea the results vary from rifle to rifle.

How much better did your 1994 shoot without the band?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:16:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Good shooting.   I still need to pick up a TD.
View Quote

They are great with great customer service.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#21]
The deluxe stock does not use a barrel band and has the same barrel channel/receiver cut as the basic stock. I think the question if a barrel band makes a basic 10-22 shoot any better or worse with or without it is entirely dependent on each particular gun/ammo combination.

The way I see it is try it both ways and go with what is more accurate with the ammo you are going to use all the time. If you are going to feed it a mixed bag of ammo then I don't suspect there is any significant difference at all.

Quoted:
View Quote

Blue lock-tite is your friend.

I bought a 80s vintage 10-22 this past summer and the barrel was loose. I got it cheap because of it. Took it home and the two screws were both backed out. I figured that would be the case. I simply degreased and blue lock-tited them and reinstalled them. Problem solved.

Any new /used 10-22 should be checked and given the same treatment.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a bull barrel I free floated.  Shoots better free floated.  Make a small aluminum shim and put it under the stock screw, don't let the barrel touch the stock anywhere, eliminates changing barrel harmonics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top