Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2006 8:47:51 PM EDT
Well I just got my new TAPCO catalog the other day and I saw they have a new U.S. made waffle-style 10/22 magazine. They don't have it listed on their site (last I checked) and don't say who the manufacturer is. Anyone know anything about these? They look kind of neat, a real drum-style drum magazine, even if it does only hold 50 rounds and costs $80.

I might have to be the test dummy on this one but what the hell
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Its probably a Promag. I heard they were coming out with a 10/22 drum. Check midway's website.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=139904
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well I just got my new TAPCO catalog the other day and I saw they have a new U.S. made waffle-style 10/22 magazine. They don't have it listed on their site (last I checked) and don't say who the manufacturer is. Anyone know anything about these? They look kind of neat, a real drum-style drum magazine, even if it does only hold 50 rounds and costs $80.

I might have to be the test dummy on this one but what the hell

It does look like the ProMag 50 round drum magazine and I also saw it in the latest catalog. I also went up on the TAPCO site to see if it could be ordered on line and couldn't find it using either the item# or description. I sent an e-mail to TAPCO to see if it really is available but I have a feeling that TAPCO put it in the catalog hoping it would be available some time in the near future and they would have it already listed. By the way, Midway has it listed for $60 but they arn't taking backorders.

These are ProMag drums that a person I know picked up at the SHOT show for testing.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
ah that's the one! promag, eh? that's what i was afraid of. never used a promag of anything myself, but i've never heard anything good about them. but if someone gets some use out of one and it works out ok, it might be worth the $60!

thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If that thing works that will be sweet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be game for one if they worked. Gotta have something with steel lips thats over 25...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Aim Surplus listed them in last months flyer for $49.95
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Are we sure that is only 50 rounds? Thats a big magazine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Midway C&R price is $48.
I just ordered one, should be interesting if it works.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#10]
bump awaiting results

i wonder if you could mod it to take more than 50? looks like there's plenty of room.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
doesnt look lkie steel lips to me
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]
that thing looks like it should hold a 100 or 2
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
that thing looks like it should hold a 100 or 2

Really.  All that drum and only 50rds?  Maybe when they make a 100 then I'll go for it.  Someone should post some reviews of this one when they get a chance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
maybe if we all bitch and whine to promag and refuse to buy these 50s theyll make us some 100 or 200s

i'd really like a real drum-style drum magazine for my 10/22 (RPK knockoff? ) but i'd hate to have to settle for 50...especially when you can get 50 rounds in a banana mag for a lot less

any results yet?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got to test one of the ProMag drums today -- sorry to say this one didn't work worth a darn. This drum came from the SHOT show and I don't know if it's a prototype or not. I tried Remington bulk ammo, regular Remington, Federal and some Winchester ammo in it and I might get two shots in a row (if lucky) and then jams -- lots of jams -- this drum did not want to really feed anything. I paid attention to not allowing the rim of the round being loaded to slip over the rim of the previous round. This is not my drum mag so I could do no adjustments or mods to it -- only load it and try to shoot. I have two 10/22's and the drum acted the same in both. I even tried some Remington Viper ammo to see if the tapered bullet would help it feed but not luck.  By the way, the feed lips are plastic. The picture below shows the feed lips on the drum mag with a stuck Viper round. When loaded the rounds mostly sit level and kinda nose down when the bolt tries to pick them up.

Maybe somebody else will get one of these drums and run a test also -- I really don't want to mess with it anymore! By the way, I was kinda pissed at this mag working so bad so I loaded up an old BC Hot Lips 25 round magazine and dumped it as fast as I could just to prove that plastic stuff can work when it's built right! Not one jam with the BC mag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the post AR-fan, it's an awful shame they don' work better. i think a well-made drum for a 10/22 would be a sweet deal.

better luck next time? let's call up norinco and see if they can scale down some of their AK drums for us
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#17]
For all the crap that ProMag puts out it really makes you wonder if they ever actually test anything that they make.  

The first company to put out a well designed 50 or 100 round drum for the 10/22 for under $50 will not be able to keep up with demand.

I just get so sick of companies that put out garbage because they know that people that never do their homework will buy it up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I think people have become so accustomed to highcap mags of certain types not working right that they just figure its a law of physics or something.  

Being the engineer type I am, I have realized that there is no reason whatsoever that a mag shouldn't work right.  That goes for 10/22's and Mini-14's especially.  (Hey if Ruger can make mags that work, why can't anyone else?)

The biggest problem is that average joes probably buy them, have a few jams, and figure "Eh, oh well, it's fun anyway..."
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think people have become so accustomed to highcap mags of certain types not working right that they just figure its a law of physics or something.  

Being the engineer type I am, I have realized that there is no reason whatsoever that a mag shouldn't work right.  That goes for 10/22's and Mini-14's especially.  (Hey if Ruger can make mags that work, why can't anyone else?)

The biggest problem is that average joes probably buy them, have a few jams, and figure "Eh, oh well, it's fun anyway..."

I know that ProMag does not have the best reputation for making mags but I got some of their 9mm mags and they worked just fine for me so I was hoping the drums would be the same. Like I said in my post, this drum was picked up at the SHOT show and I don't know if it was just there for display and may be a prototype or not but this particular drum mag has problems. If it were mine I'd try a few mods but it's not so I'm sending it back to the owner with a note explaining the problems.  One really bad problem, besides the nose dive, is the little ramps that can be seen on either side of the feed lips -- this is for the rim to rid up as the round moves forward but notice there is no sharp edge on the ramps. One problem with feeding was the round would run right past the ramps and get jammed in the mag because beyound the ramps the feed area is tighter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:03:45 AM EDT
[#20]
midway has them listed
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:13:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I have some sort of 50 rounder (ramline maybe?) that is banana shaped and works well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Now if only tactical innovations kicked out 50 round mags instead of their 25's. Maybe it's something on the horizon....
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Tag because I want drums for thigns other than my PPS50
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I went back and really checked the drum over and from what I can tell, this mag has some mileage on it. The ramp edges are worn from use, not badly formed at the factory. The follower looks like it has been through a war due to the number of rounds that have slid over it. I honestly can't say this is a good example of the drum magazine that ProMag is selling because it is so used, although looking at the outside of it you would never know!

I've got one on order because I would love to see how a new one works -- and I do hope it really does work!

The picture below is the reason why! I built 10/22 into looking kinda like an old tommy gun and will look good with the drum but a banana shaped mag really looks bad on it.

The drum in the picture is the ProMag that I tested.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I went back and really checked the drum over and from what I can tell, this mag has some mileage on it. The ramp edges are worn from use, not badly formed at the factory. The follower looks like it has been through a war due to the number of rounds that have slid over it. I honestly can't say this is a good example of the drum magazine that ProMag is selling because it is so used, although looking at the outside of it you would never know!

I've got one on order because I would love to see how a new one works -- and I do hope it really does work!

The picture below is the reason why! I built 10/22 into looking kinda like an old tommy gun and will look good with the drum but a banana shaped mag really looks bad on it.
img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/877429/TommyjunkDrum.jpg
The drum in the picture is the ProMag that I tested.

that's a great looking 10/22 mod! i saw someone at the gunsmithing school in Prescott, Arizona doing the same thing! hopefully a new drum will work better. be sure to let us know if it does

like i said, i'd love to get a drum magazine, but a minimum $50 gamble on it really isnt worthwhile if there isnt much chance of it working well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

like i said, i'd love to get a drum magazine, but a minimum $50 gamble on it really isnt worthwhile if there isnt much chance of it working well.

Your right, and I'm a sucker for this stuff so maybe a new one will work maybe not but I'll let you know! I thought about getting one of those MWG teardrop 50 round mags but they run around $75+ but if they work I guess they may be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right, and I'm a sucker for this stuff so maybe a new one will work maybe not but I'll let you know! I thought about getting one of those MWG teardrop 50 round mags but they run around $75+ but if they work I guess they may be worth it.

thanks! can't wait to hear how it runs

i can't say ive ever heard anything good about the teardrop ones though. lots of reports of the body as well as the feedlips cracking. i guess they used really brittle plastic or something? i dont know for sure and i havent used one myself, so take it with a grain of salt. or is it as a grain of salt? eh whatever.

damn, now my 10/22 is itchin for all sorts of toys! all of a sudden it wants a handguard, barrel shroud and muzzle break

but now we know what those voices in my head are
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Okay, I got it.
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LOAD IT???????
I can barely get a round in and no dice with the Butler Creek loader. It dosen't fit.
If I gotta load this bitch by hand I'm going to fucking return it.
What a fucking mistake this was.
ETA: I'm not weak either. I can load a brand new Glock mag to full capacity without using their loader.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#29]
looks like it just loads from the top like any other 10/22 mag, but that's the obvious answer so im guessing that's what you were trying. can't say anything comes to mind that wouldnt be a no-brainer (manual to read, etc...)

damn it looks like these things are full of trouble
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#30]
You have to take the ammo out of the box first.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
As small as the 22 lr is, would you sacrafice weight for a mag you could drop all 550 rounds of $9 walmart reminington ammo in? that would be a party, a cheap one too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#32]
well, I gave it another try and the most I could insert was 4 rounds and they where a total bitch to insert. I got a defective unit or it's a POS. I'm returning it for a refund anyway.
I never had luck with Promag stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#33]
What would be REALLY cool is if m60joe could get this combo to run.  

m60joe

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
well, I gave it another try and the most I could insert was 4 rounds and they where a total bitch to insert. I got a defective unit or it's a POS. I'm returning it for a refund anyway.

I can't believe they didn't send instuctions with the drum. You need to open the little hatch on the drum, insert a dowel or small screwdriver into one of the holes in wheel inside and take some of the tension off the magazine follower -- but not too much. Just be careful not to allow the rim of the round being loaded to overlap the rim of the previous round. Just change to the next hole in the wheel as the drum gets loaded and you've run out of room with the dowel or screwdriver.I fully loaded that drum I tested 4 times -- the real pain is when it won't feed and you need to unload it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't believe they didn't send instuctions with the drum. You need to ope the little hatch on the drum, insert a dowel or small screwdriver into one of the holes in wheel inside and take some of the tension off the magazine follower -- but not too much. Just be careful not to allow the rim of the round being loaded to overlap the rim of the previous round. I fully loaded that drum I tested 4 times -- the real pain is when it won't feed and you need to unload it.

no instruction came with it.
Screw it, I'm still sending it back
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Did the drum have steel or plastic feed lips?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

plastic. did I need to open the drum to load it? I saw three latches but it looks like it holds it together. I just don't want a coiled spring flying out at me
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

plastic. did I need to open the drum to load it? I saw three latches but it looks like it holds it together. I just don't want a coiled spring flying out at me

Don't open the the magazine body -- springs will fly! There is little oval shaped hatch on the rear side of the drum -- slip a knife or screwdriver blade onder the lower edge and pop it open -- it comes right off. You will see the wheel like thing inside with holes in it -- this is where I inserted a screwdriver and put a little pressure on it so I could insert the rounds.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't open the the magazine body -- springs will fly! There is little oval shaped hatch on the rear side of the drum -- slip a knife or screwdriver blade onder the lower edge and pop it open -- it comes right off. You will see the wheel like thing inside with holes in it -- this is where I inserted a screwdriver and put a little pressure on it so I could insert the rounds.

I already dropped it in the mailbox. Thanks for the help though.
I don't think it's worth the trouble when a butler creek is so much easier to load up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I already dropped it in the mailbox. Thanks for the help though.
I don't think it's worth the trouble when a butler creek is so much easier to load up.

I have to agree -- 25 to 30 rounds that can be loaded with a special device is a better choice. In my case I built a setup to make my 10/22 look a bit like a tommy gun and the curved hi-caps really don't look that good in it. I figured if I can get the drum to work I'd only need to load it once per plinking session. I need to check with ProMag also because I was told that they have gone to a steel lips setup and your's didn't have that -- There may be old and new versions out there.

this is my 10/22 with a home-made drum. The drum is a suomi drum with a 10 round 10/22 set in it.

This is the same rifle with a curved BC mag -- not so good to look at but it is starting to grow on me due to the fact the drum idea has kinda gone south on me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#42]
There is also the PPS50 Drums out there for all y'all who want drum magazines, and there is a special adapter to work in the 10/22 (I beleive, I have seen stick magazines for the PPS50 with the adapters for sale on the site here )  

as for why they only hold 50 rounds, the PPS50 drums have a big wheel inside with the caetridge notches on the outside, a big coiled flat spring is on the inside, these promag magazines are probablyvery similar
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
There is also the PPS50 Drums out there for all y'all who want drum magazines, and there is a special adapter to work in the 10/22 (I beleive, I have seen stick magazines for the PPS50 with the adapters for sale on the site here )  

as for why they only hold 50 rounds, the PPS50 drums have a big wheel inside with the caetridge notches on the outside, a big coiled flat spring is on the inside, these promag magazines are probablyvery similar

The description you gave of the pps50 drum is very similar to the ProMag drum. It's funny that ProMag doesn't even show the 10/22 drum on their web site -- I wonder if all of us that are trying them are actually acting as their beta testers to ring out the problems for them?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#44]
yea, that way they don't have to pay anyone for doing the dirty work

i hope they do have a steel lipped version, that would definately be a better product. especially if it will feed at least as well as my Eagle mags too
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#45]
That's funy. I have 5 new 30rd eagle mags and they work perfect in the 2 10/22s that I have. They must just be inconsistant in the molding or something to be so hit and miss for people.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#46]
The PPS50 drum will not work with the 10/22 adapters. They are totally different. I have both and have tried to get a combo to work. The Bingham mag adapters are not for pps mags.
I hope the drum works out because I really want a drum for my short krinker plinker.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The PPS50 drum will not work with the 10/22 adapters. They are totally different. I have both and have tried to get a combo to work. The Bingham mag adapters are not for pps mags.
I hope the drum works out because I really want a drum for my short krinker plinker.

I was contacted by the person that owns the ProMag drum that I tested and he said that it was given to him at the SHOT show and was really only meant for him to use in photo shoots of equipment he builds and the condition of it was never really discussed other than it was used.

I have one 50 round ProMag drum and one 50 round MWG mag on order. I want to test them to see if either one works well enough for me to get more. I need magazines that are more vertical so they look better on the tommy gun 10/22 I built. I have no idea when the ProMag will show up but the MWG should be here by next week.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#48]
let us know how they run!

i'm still hoping deep down this pro-mag drum will work out, i think a well functioning drum magazine would be a great seller for the 10/22
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
let us know how they run!

i'm still hoping deep down this pro-mag drum will work out, i think a well functioning drum magazine would be a great seller for the 10/22

I just got the MWG teardrop magazine from Clips 'N' Stuff today! I loaded that sucker up and fired off all 50 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger -- it runs like a champ! I went through several mags full with no problem! The MWG magazine has steel lips that look just like they came out of a Ruger factory magazine. The MWG is really easy to load -- at least 10 time faster than the ProMag drum. The MWG  is not shaped like a tommy gun drum but it does have the profile of a stick mag since it doesn't have that banana curve to it. The only down side I can find is the price and I got it at the cheapest price I could find ($80.20 including S/H) but it really works and I needed a hi-cap that would go well with my 10/22 tommy gun!

I have no idea when the ProMag will show up but when it does I'll test it and post the results.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#50]
PRO_MAG REVIEW:

Got mine with the gunsmith/Dealer discount from Midway. ($53 shipped) The unit is smaller than the pics show. It came in a small white box without instructions. The feed lips were plastic and the follower looked like their was a chunk taken out of it.
 I tried to load it by hand and the follower is super stiff. Too stiff to load by hand. I then pulled the teardrop shaped cover off and loaded 4 rounds into the mag. The rounds sat flush with the mag and it took a little bit of adjustment to get the rounds to sit properly. The force of the spring and follower prevented proper feeding of the rounds. Would steel lips help? Who know. This mag is going back to Midway on Monday. I would rather spend another $30 and get some trustworthy mags that have proven track records rather than watste my time working on something that might not work reliably.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top