Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 2:39:33 AM EDT
I am looking to purchase a springfield rifle to add to my collection,but I am unsure which one to buy.
I will be shooting the rifle and I also reload.What features do I want to look for .Since Ionly want  to buy one ,want to get it right.
springfield armory 1903
03a3  ???
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#1]
         For myself (also wanted a shooter,not a wall hanger ) the rear mounted peep style sight of the later gun made it a no brainer . I am not a fan of foward mounted reiciever sights .
         An importaint thing to look at is bore condition, if you are going to shoot this piece you might as well take the time to hunt down a gun that has a good bore .
          I lucked out in finding a beat looking a3/03 that a guy built to shoot cast bullet competions with .
This guy hunted down a brand new (likely 50 yr old ) military barrel and replaced the old nasty one , He then lapped the heck out of it after doing a bang up job of fitting this barrel . The only part that is a little painfull is that he notched out the upper handguard to mount target scope blocks. I need to hunt down a replacement handguard .
           It is crazy how accurate this gun is , with cast bullet handloads and a good solid bench I can shoot 100 yard five shot groups that look like a lumpy quarter . Someday I need to get on something longer than my clubs 100 yd range . ( this is with my old time 24x redfield target scope) .
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the 03. It has style.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top