Posted: 9/2/2013 7:25:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2013 7:28:36 PM EST by countryboy52590]
Got an old ted williams a few years back that has seen better days. The stock was brush painted with gloss black latex paint. I decided about two years ago that it looked like the south end of a north bound donkey so I set myself out to repaint it. I sanded it down good and smooth, free floated the barrel and beded the action then proceeded to spray the stock flat black with Walmart color place flat black paint. No clear coat. It has held up well other than slicking down and getting shiny in grip areas. So today I decided that it needs a new look. I cant have my kick around deer gun looking like an all black evil sniper rifle. So I picked up a can of rustoleum white primer, a can of rustoleum stone desert bisque textured paint, and rustoleum matte clear top coat. I sanded it well with 220 grit sand paper. Cleaned the stock with alcohol, and taped up the barrel channel, receiver bed, and the trigger guard/mag well. I sprayed it well with a coat of the primer and its currently drying. I'm going to let it sit for about 24 hours then apply the first coat of the desert bisque.
My intentions are to get it pretty well coated with the desert bisque and then apply a coat of matte clear and let it sit for 24hrs and repeat up to three times for a good cover. I'll be taking pics during the process and upload them later.
Just figured I would post this in case anyone else found a lack of material online related to doing this like I have. Any comments or input is welcome. And yes I know. Many people bash spray painting anything that has to do with a gun but the rifle was free and the stock looked horrible so I'm not at a huge loss if this doesn't hold up as well as the cheap-o flat black rattle can job.
finished it off with a whole can of the Rustoleum textured paint, then allowed to dry for 24 hours. I then top coated it with three coats of matte clear and let it dry for 24 more hours. i had to brush off a lot of loose grit from the paint before I felt safe putting the rifle back together. After it was cleaned up I re-assembled the rifle. I think it turned out to look great. As for the durability of the finish I'm sure it will hold up much better than the flat black job it did have. I will post pictures later on when I get the chance.