Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2002 7:29:13 PM EDT
just picked up a nice m1944 at big five for $49.95. got the last one at this particular store. looks like an interesting rifle and from what i've read is pretty reliable and fun to shoot. anyone out there have one? if so, some comments and tips would be great. i don't get to actually pick mine up for ten days, which makes sense as i hear 60 year old bolt action rifles are the gangbangers weapon of choice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Ten days, ouch.  Three days is hard enough to wait for those of us that never pass NICS and have to wait for the time-out.  It's a good buy at $50.  My first rifle was one, and I paid $80 for it about 16 months ago.  The best forum I've found to get info on those is at www.gunboards.com/forums/.  It's not working at the moment, so you might want to try back later.  Anything specific you want to know?  There really isn't anything on it that regularly breaks or needs adjustment, so you're not going to see much discussion about them.  Like most things Russian, they might not be pretty, but they just work.z
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Russian Model 1938 (think M44 with different sights and no bayonet) and a Finnish M39 (longer barrel, much heavier stock, different sights).  When they are in proper working order, they are excellent.  Because they are basically a very simple rifle, they are almost always in working order.

Parts are widely available, as are accessories, if you want to bring it back to it's original glory.

Most surplus ammo is corrosive, so clean it shortly after shooting. The surplus ammo is usually steel-cased, Berdan primed.

Chestnut Ridge and Empire Arms have Privi Partisan 180 grain JSP commercial loads, boxer primed, at around $45/100. This is reloadable brass, if you are interested in reloading. S&B has commercial ammo as well. Get a few stripper clips when you get ammo.

It's a gun that is still mostly as it was designed in the Victorian Era, which is amazing. The odd curve to the butt gives it an odd antique look, as do the rather strange sling fittings. Look good on the wall with my Garand. Need to add a Mauser and an Enfield to balance things out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The one thing that was left out is that these things kick like a mule. I have a M39 and a M44 both shooting the 762x54, the only rifle that I have that kick harder is my Tiger carbine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up an unissued M44 from AIM a couple of months ago. It was made in 1948 and put away to wait just for me! Great little gun. Shoots dead center and 5 inches high at 100 yards. The best $69.95 I've ever spent! 7.62x54 is cheap and kicks ass on both ends. Other than two minor storage marks on the wood, it is in perfect condition. One note: New production stripper clips will not work in any of my Nagants.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#5]
NoSheep:
"I picked up an unissued M44 from AIM a couple of months ago. It was made in 1948 and put away to wait just for me! Great little gun. Shoots dead center and 5 inches high at 100 yards."

Have you tried shooting it with the bayonet extended?  From what I understand the sights are regulated for when the bayonet is unfolded.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 4:50:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Yep, nice rifles. I have a Russian and a Polish M44.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 1945 Russian M44.  Blast to shoot.  One of these days I'm gonna try cooking hot dogs over a bonfire with the bayonet.  Make sure you fire it at dusk or night, the muzzle flash is incredible.  Anybody have pictures of a M44 fireball at night?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top