Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2010 10:31:54 PM EDT
i have all but killed the CV500 tumbler that i have had for ages, it is on its 4th motor.
i like to tumble.... a LOT.
i tumble before resize/deprime, i tumble the lube off, load, and tumble once more(short session) before checking each round with a case gauge.

is dillon worth the extra money for their tumblers?
or would going with a harbor freight special or other brand be more economical/sensible?
i have a fair amount of volume per year, so if the HF brand is a pos that fails after only a couple hundred hours, that is not for me.
flamethrower and other industry grade reloaders, what do you prefer to use?
thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Rotary I offer up Thumblers Model B (High Speed Version) and for vibratory I would look at the Dilllon 750 (now wears CV2001 Motor).
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 3:23:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two Lyman 2500's that I tumble a lot of 50 bmg with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 3:38:28 AM EDT
[#3]
do you have the Lyman 2500's with the autoflo feature?  If so, is it useful/worth the extra money?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#4]
get a Thumler's UV-18, they last decades, literally.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Concrete mixer.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two of these that I really like. Tumbled a couple of tons of brass in them....

cabela's
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
get a Thumler's UV-18, they last decades, literally.

Great tumblers, and fairly quiet.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the HF Mega Beast ... it tumbles a couple thousand of pistol cases and about a thousand of any rifle case at any one time.  I had a Lyman 2500 with the auto flow and I sold it once I got this.  This has double the media capacity (8lbs vs. 18lbs) and the motor is significantly stronger.  I have at least 300-400 hours of tumbling on it, and It is extremely quite ... not even as loud as my bathroom fan.  I was going to go the concrete mixer route, but the one I have is a little on the loud side ... plus it takes a good bit of room.  With the 20% off coupons in American Rifleman ... you would be hard pressed to find a tumbler of this quality for less (about $90 with coupon when it's on sale).

Sarg

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been using Cabelas tumblers for 6+ years now.  I ran them almost 24/7 for 2+ years cleaning buckets and buckets of range brass I used to be able to get almost free.  Since then, I've only run them an average of twice a week - usually for 8-10 hours at a time though (while at work or overnight).  Haven't burned out a motor on any of them.  If you save your receipt, I would even bet Cabelas would replace them if they fell apart after a year or two.  I have had very good luck with Cabela's branded product and the few times I have had any of it fail, they always returned/exchanged it as long as I still had the receipt (I'm talking years later).
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have the HF Mega Beast ... it tumbles a couple thousand of pistol cases and about a thousand of any rifle case at any one time.  I had a Lyman 2500 with the auto flow and I sold it once I got this.  This has double the media capacity (8lbs vs. 18lbs) and the motor is significantly stronger.  I have at least 300-400 hours of tumbling on it, and It is extremely quite ... not even as loud as my bathroom fan.  I was going to go the concrete mixer route, but the one I have is a little on the loud side ... plus it takes a good bit of room.  With the 20% off coupons in American Rifleman ... you would be hard pressed to find a tumbler of this quality for less (about $90 with coupon when it's on sale).

Sarg

http://heavenintexas.org/images/DSC_4560.JPG
http://heavenintexas.org/images/DSC_4586.JPG

i only see the 5 pound tumbler on harbor freights web site.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#11]
hands down, the Thumler's UV-18

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the HF Mega Beast ...

I am not seeing that model at HF's web site.  Do you have a link or maybe a model number?

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an old Thumbler's rotary model.  Going on 20+ years old, and still cleaning brass.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#14]
That larger HF caught my eye when I saw it in one of their retail stores around me. It looked solid

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96923

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That larger HF caught my eye when I saw it in one of their retail stores around me. It looked solid

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96923

Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#16]
OR you can build your own like I did, cost me 12$ to build this baby and i can fit 15# worth or media in there.

specs:
1 half HP motor
1 5 gallon bucket
1 3 or 4 gallon bucket
1 3/4 inch sheet of play cut the fit in the bottom of bucket.
1 frame of some sort
some way to attach it to frame( I used bailing wire, be it i live on a farm and i have more wire than i can shake a stick at.)

now here are some pictures to look at (sorry there shitty, cell phone pics )

The cleaner

The Bucket with the media in it

The 5 gallon bucket with the motor attached, no meadia goes in here

The motor, i have a peice of steel on the with a hole drilled in it of center to get it to vibrate.

If you would like drawn up plans please IM or email i will be happy to email them to you.

Thanks

Scotts556
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say go with the 3.5Cu ft poly drum mixer if you can afford it for large volumes of brass (4-5 gallons at a time) Or the Dillon CV2001 for large but not huge. I have both and they have worked well for me with no problems.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Concrete mixer.....

This!
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I did the same thing, but my bottom like price was ~$130, on sale for $149 plus the 20% coupon and Tx tax.  It has been a really good tumbler so far.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Lyman Turbo 600 from 27 years ago. My grandpa used it, my dad used it, now I'm using it. This thing has really proven it self over time, and I can guarantee you this, when it does die (if it dies...), it will be replaced with another Lyman (just a bigger one). My only problem is that the 600 is very small (holds 200 9mm or 100 .223), and I plan on upgrading it with a 1200 bowl, which will double my capacity.

Big thumbs up for the Lyman!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top