Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2009 10:13:28 AM EDT
Hi,

I'm going to head to the North store this week to pick up a M1 carbine. I'm not really that familiar with them. Other that muzzle erosion, are there any other wear areas that I should look for? Any tips on getting a nice one? I want more of a shooter than a collector.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking for a shooter, look for one with a nice, solid M2 stock, bayonet lug barrel band, a tight handguard fit (no rattle), a tight lock into the recoil plate, and a tight trigger housing lockup. Basically, pick the thing up and shake it. If you hear metal rattling (other than perhaps from the operating slide), move on to the next carbine.

-Mark
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you give me a heads up on there M1's cause I was thinking about getting out there to buy as well.  I don't feel like waiting 6 months
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the reciever for small chips at the lug recess. You do not want one that has had an out-of-battery boo boo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice everyone! I picked up a nice IBM. Gauged a 1+ on the muzzle. It has nice wood and the stock serial number matches the receiver. There were a ton of other very nice carbines there.

They are all out of 30 carbine ammo and magazines, but I did manage to get some 30-06.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I picked up a nice IBM. Gauged a 1+ on the muzzle. It has nice wood and the stock serial number matches the receiver. There were a ton of other very nice carbines there.

They are all out of 30 carbine ammo and magazines, but I did manage to get some 30-06.

The stock had a serial number on it? That wasn't put there by any part of the US military. M1 Carbines in US service only had the SN on the receiver.

Is it a large block font filled with white paint?

-Mark
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The stock had a serial number on it? That wasn't put there by any part of the US military. M1 Carbines in US service only had the SN on the receiver.

-Mark

Hi,

It is stamped in 5/16 inch numbers inside the sling pocket. There is no paint. I can post a pic if this is something unusual.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mark

Hi,

It is stamped in 5/16 inch numbers inside the sling pocket. There is no paint. I can post a pic if this is something unusual.

Please do. It was almost certainly applied by the country it was supplied to as aid.

-Mark
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics:

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice WW2 stock too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm. The size and font of those numerals is very similar to the ones on the Israeli police carbines that were imported awhile back. IIRC, Israel bought some of their carbines, and got some of them through military assistance programs. Maybe they returned the ones obtained from the assistance programs?

-Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top