Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2015 3:01:38 PM EDT
I got my AR out of the safe the other day to install a new part.  Afterward I was messing with it and looked through my scope and noticed a spot in it.  It is a Burris XTR that I bought used off the EE on here.  I've never noticed it before and not sure why it would just appear.
I had to hold the camera in a weird angle for it to show up otherwise it shows up when looking through it as you normally would.
" />
" />
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
King of Pain
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That scope has an illuminated reticle.  That spot appears to be the emitter diode or shadow of that diode which projects the illumination onto the reticle.

I can't say for certain from looking at the photos, but this appears to be the case.  If so, it is probably normal.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can see that while looking through the scope normally, I would call it defective and contact Burris.  They have a lifetime warranty, do they not?  If you can only see it while holding it at odd angles, I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That scope has an illuminated reticle.  That spot appears to be the emitter diode or shadow of that diode which projects the illumination onto the reticle.

I can't say for certain from looking at the photos, but this appears to be the case.  If so, it is probably normal.

View Quote

It's definitely not the emitter.  It wasn't there before and shouldn't be visible in a decent quality optic.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you can see that while looking through the scope normally, I would call it defective and contact Burris.  They have a lifetime warranty, do they not?  If you can only see it while holding it at odd angles, I wouldn't worry about it.
View Quote

It is visible while looking through it normally.  I will contact Burris about the issue.  Know if warranties are transferrable?  Was hoping to share in case anybody has seen this issue before.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's definitely not the emitter.  It wasn't there before and shouldn't be visible in a decent quality optic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for clarification.  I'd contact mfg and send it back.  Strange.

Burris has a "no questions" warranty:

Burris Warranty
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is visible while looking through it normally.  I will contact Burris about the issue.  Know if warranties are transferrable?  Was hoping to share in case anybody has seen this issue before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never mention ownership when I send something in for warranty.  If they ask for proof, that is one thing.  But usually, when you request warranty work on something, you are the one they enter enter into the system as being the owner.  If you sell it, someone after you may have a problem because you are now in the system, but if a warranty has never been claimed, you are the "original owner."
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]
smack the scope on a phone book, see if it comes off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Just throw it away.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the advice FALex and Freedom556... Very helpful...

Scope was sent to Burris on Saturday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was being serious.  Sometimes the paint or dust from production will jump up and stick to the interior glass.  It is common to hit the optic against something, such as a phone book, to see if the debris will fall off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was being serious.  Sometimes the paint or dust from production will jump up and stick to the interior glass.  It is common to hit the optic against something, such as a phone book, to see if the debris will fall off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I hadn't heard it before.  Well it's sent off to get it fixed (who knows maybe that's how they fix it themselves).  I guess hopefully it gets fixed properly or replaced.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I guess I hadn't heard it before.  Well it's sent off to get it fixed (who knows maybe that's how they fix it themselves).  I guess hopefully it gets fixed properly or replaced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a commonly accepted practice used to dislodge debris that has attached itself to the interior lens of the scope.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top