Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2011 7:28:22 PM EDT
Ok this is for any owners out there that have suppressed their .223cal bolt guns with yhm's phantom 5.56. I'm going to hopefully be running Yankee hill's 5M2 QD comp which of course means I will be threading my bbl. Did anybody experience a drop in accuracy when running suppressed. I'm almost afraid to do this cuz the rifle is such a tack driver right now. Anybody?

Thanks,

Bravo
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked mine up from being threaded for my screw-on stainless phantom and I took it on my last range trip just to see what it would sound like. I only put a few rounds through it so I can't make a good report on it for you yet. I was playing with other toys last time but will give it a try for you tomorrow if the weather is nice.

I do have to say that I was somewhat surprised that it didn't seem all that much quiter than a 16" AR running it but I did not try them back to back but will make it a point to this time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:41:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the reply, I would love to find out. I do have to say I'm a little disappointed that is isn't much quieter than an AR. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thank you for the reply, I would love to find out. I do have to say I'm a little disappointed that is isn't much quieter than an AR. Thanks for the reply.

Generally a gas gun will drop SPL 1-2DB more than a = length barrel bolt gun with the same suppressor.  

However at the shooters ear, noise will drop 6-8DB with the bolt rather than the gas gun.  That's a pretty big improvement for the guy behind the gun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you are running subsonic rounds, the rifle is only marginally quieter. You don't get the sound of the "Pop" from the round going off but still hear the "Boom" as the round goes supersonic.  What I am told is that the shot is hard to localize if you're the guy on the business end of the shot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
We got a but off the original topic it seems and sorry I pointed it that direction

I didn't get a chance to take it out so I can't report back to you yet but just wanted to keep you updated.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an LTR in .223 that's got a YHM QD flashider on the end.  The accuracy drops a little with the can on, but not too bad.  On my .308, the groups shrunk in half (at distances of 300yds or so) when I took off the YHM QD 762 and replaced it with a different brand  (Griffin Armament Scout) thread-on 762 can.

My 556 QD can is still pretty tight against the retention ring, but the 762 can wasn't.  The little spring washers in my 762 QD flashiders must be getting worn out or something.  I need to have YHM send me some replacements I guess.

I still think the YHM are a good value, but I sometimes wish I'd have gone with an AAC M4-2k...   Oh well, the YHM QD 556 is GREAT on my 10.5" upper; perfect for PR matches and general varmint control around the house.  

Here's the LTR w/YHM:

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have an LTR in .223 that's got a YHM QD flashider on the end.  The accuracy drops a little with the can on, but not too bad.  On my .308, the groups shrunk in half (at distances of 300yds or so) when I took off the YHM QD 762 and replaced it with a different brand  (Griffin Armament Scout) thread-on 762 can.

My 556 QD can is still pretty tight against the retention ring, but the 762 can wasn't.  The little spring washers in my 762 QD flashiders must be getting worn out or something.  I need to have YHM send me some replacements I guess.

I still think the YHM are a good value, but I sometimes wish I'd have gone with an AAC M4-2k...   Oh well, the YHM QD 556 is GREAT on my 10.5" upper; perfect for PR matches and general varmint control around the house.  

Here's the LTR w/YHM:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/benjiotto/G%20n%20A/photo-40.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/benjiotto/G%20n%20A/photo-39-3.jpg

Nice rifle Benjio, thanks for the info. I also run my Phantom on a 10.5 inch upper and am happy with it. As far as your "drop" in accuracy, what do you mean by that? I wouldn't be suprised with POI shift but did your groups open up? If so, by how much? What did it shoot before as opposed to suppressed? Also, how would you compare the sound reduction with that of the 10.5 upper? Louder than an unsuppressed .22lr? Sorry for all the questions man.

thanks in advance,

Bravo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top