Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 7:30:06 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me if I can ship a rifle via UPS.  This is all "private party" (not a new rifle).  My brother gave me his Rem 700 and wants to ship it to me.  I don't know if he can send it directly to me or if I have to have it sent thru a FFL holder.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:05:32 AM EDT
I believe you can ship it by yourself but it must arrive at an FFL.  Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:03:04 AM EDT
To get the rifle out of your brother's name, you will have to receive it via an FFL. If you're going to be keeping it permanently, you should go that route. If he's sending it to you (himself) so he can use it when you're together, I believe he may ship the rifle to himself directly; the rifle will remain in his name.   Someone else might be able to shed more light.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:18:50 AM EDT
According to my local Asst. DA, it is against Interstate Commerce Law to ship a firearm for purpose of transferring ownership without going through an FFL
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:39:42 AM EDT
As far as Federal law is concerned you can ship any firearm from a nonlicensee to a licensee (FFL holder) and you can ship one of your firearms in for factory repair or to a gunsmith for work and they can ship it back to you. You can ship a firearm to yourself in another state, say you are in GA and going Elk hunting in CO you could ship the rifle to yourself for the hunt then back to GA.

Rifles may be shipped in the US mail or via UPS, FedX ect.. Handguns cannot be shipped in the US mail and must go via common carrier (UPS, FedX ect.)

It is no violation of federal law for your brother to ship the rifle to you if you live in the same state. It could violate your state laws depending on where you live, in most states it is OK.

Below is an e-mail that I sent to the ATF last week you might want to look at. I found out later New York state law requires the handgun (handguns only) come from a FFL as well. So make sure of your state laws.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 4:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: ATFOnline Query

I had a question about shipping a handgun to New York State (not New York

Can a nonlicensee individual ship a handgun to a licensee in New York State for
transfer to a nonlicensee individual, assuming the handgun was shipped via

Thank you ahead of time for your help,



Thank you for your recent email to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
Firearms (ATF) with respect to lawful procedures to ship a handgun
interstate to New York State rather than New York City.

Basically,  your description of proper procedures for a handgun shipment via
a private carrier to a NY State licensee is totally compatible with the Gun
Control Act enforced by ATF.  Still, particularly since the events of
September 11, it would be advisable to make sure about any recent NY State
regulations by contacting NY State Police units, the office of the NY State
Attorney General, or an ATF Field office serving the "upstate" area.  The
number for the NY "AG" office is 518-474-7330.  Numbers for Albany and
Buffalo ATF offices are, respectively, (518) 431-4182 and (716) 551-4048.
Thanks again,
Firearms Programs Division
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top