Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 10:24:19 AM EDT
I just refinished the stock on my field grade but before I take it out for the first time I have a few issues that need to be resolved.  The first is that the entire gas cylinder assembly has fore and aft play in it, even when the screw/plug is tightened down.  The cylinder (and front sight) can also rock side to side.  I've read that peening the barrel splines will help with the side to side rocking, but what needs to be done to take out the fore and aft slop?

Second, the rear sight assembly is very loose.  The aperature rocks easily from side to side, as does the windage base.  Will simply replacing the cover take care of this, or is there something else that needs to be done.

Finally, according to Scott Duff's Garand Owner's Guide, with just the bolt and op rod installed in the receiver, both should slide back and forth freely when raising the muzzle 30 degrees and the rear 45 degrees.  Sliding out of battery is no problem, but going forward requires going almost vertical.  That said, I guess the op rod is going to require rework or replacement.  Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just refinished the stock on my field grade but before I take it out for the first time I have a few issues that need to be resolved.  The first is that the entire gas cylinder assembly has fore and aft play in it, even when the screw/plug is tightened down.  The cylinder (and front sight) can also rock side to side.  I've read that peening the barrel splines will help with the side to side rocking, but what needs to be done to take out the fore and aft slop?

Slightly peening the splines on the barrel will remove the rotational play.  With the muzzle of the barrel fully supported, and using a sharp center oynch, upset a little of the metal on either side of the spline cut inwards into the cut.  Upsets, 4 per spline cut, should be in opposition with each other.  Best to upset too little and have to re-do than too much.  Have a good wooden/plastic mallet ready to drive on/off the gas cylinder.

As for the axial play, this should not happen if the all your parts, i.e., gas cyl, gas cyl lock, and gas cyl lock screw are of the correct dimensions and the screw is fully threaded in.  If your gas cyl lock screw does not fully seat, then either the gas cyl lock, the gas cyl, or both have been modified.  You will have to examine all the parts and compare them with known good ones to find out which may be off.  Replace as needed  In passing, this may also cure the rotational play issue, so make sure all your parts fit right before peening the splines.  If, as you say, this is an ODCMP rifle, contact them about the problem(s).  Their customer service is pretty good.  Find out which parts are out-of-spec (if any) first, though.   This might save you the hassle of sending the thing back.  Maybe they can just send you the correct parts.

Second, the rear sight assembly is very loose.  The aperature rocks easily from side to side, as does the windage base.  Will simply replacing the cover take care of this, or is there something else that needs to be done.

Most likely the spring steel cover is worn.  I presume you have carefully tightened the sight adjustment screws, right?  The cover can be either bent or replaced, although the new cover may need a bit of tweaking.  Sight guts should be cleaned, and white lube applied to the gear track, the slots for the aperture, and the underside of the cover where it rubs against the mechanism.  A little dab will do ya.  Don't go crazy.

Finally, according to Scott Duff's Garand Owner's Guide, with just the bolt and op rod installed in the receiver, both should slide back and forth freely when raising the muzzle 30 degrees and the rear 45 degrees.  Sliding out of battery is no problem, but going forward requires going almost vertical.  That said, I guess the op rod is going to require rework or replacement.  Any other suggestions?

Again, I would mention this to ODCMP, but I would shoot the rifle a bit before bringing this up.  Maybe some of the parts need to be "worn-in" and things will be all right after that.   A NEW op-spring would be a nice thing to install.  True for any Garand that still has a 50-yr old spring in it.

Raf, thanks for the in-depth reply on this.  Regarding the gas cylinder, when I initially disassembled the rifle, I was surprised to find that the cylinder easily slid off by hand with practically zero force.  I just installed the gas cylinder, lock, and set screw from my (still in cosmoline, temporary safe-queen) HRA correct and it was also loose on the SA barrel, but not on the HRA barrel.  

I noticed that the the portion of the barrel where the rear lug of the gas cylinder sets is worn to the point that the raised portion is hardly discernable.  That said, am I basically SOL unless I rebarrel it (in .308 maybe)?  Although I'm not thrilled with the prospect of major work, I can hardly fault the CMP for that possibility and I'm still glad to have bought it.  I just wish I could shoot it right away.

As for the rear sight issue, it has been cleaned, lubed and adjustment screws have been re-tightened prior to mentioning the previously described condition.  I tried re-bending the cover and while that helped some, it's still not solid like the HRA or the sight on my M1A.  Any recommendations on places to buy covers and other M1 items?  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
This isn't intended to keep my post alive, but I did send an email to the CMP last night outlining my observations.  I'll let everyone know what they say if they reply.  Given the lack of warranty, I'm not expecting much.  No regrets about buying it and I'm sure I'll buy another FG some time if service grades don't become available in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't worry; The CMP will take care of you, I had problems with a '03 I had bought from them, the last round in the mag would just pop out when the bolt was pulled back. Turns out it was the mag spring. I called the CMP and they sent me a spring and follower, pronto,  No charge. they want you to have a working rifle and will do their best to make sure it is. Believe me, they will fix you up, If they ask you to sent it back, do it,  If they can't fix it, they'll send you a replacement that will be MUCH better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I received an email from one of the armorers in Anniston yesterday asking me to give him a call.  I spoke with him today and had a very pleasant and thorough conversation with him regarding my concerns.  He asked that I check several items and get back with him and offered to provide whatever replacement parts may be necessary on an exchange basis.  

Although Raf and Ralph assured me that the CMP would make it right (thanks guys!), I wasn't expecting this level of support and dedication to customer satisfaction, especially for a field grade rifle.  This was the third CMP staff member that I have spoken with since I first placed my order and I must say that every one of them have been extremely helpful and a pleasure to speak with.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top