Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2002 10:51:35 AM EDT
it's getting warmer recently. I am looking for  good ranges around central NJ. The ranges allow their customers to shoot any FMJ ammo and no membership is required. The range master must be gun-friendly too.

I used to go to a range named Bellie down in Englishtown. There, you can only use hunting ammo. It seems the range master is not happy to see any military guns appear in his range. The only good part there is you don't need to be a member.

Please, tell me where to shoot in central NJ.

thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Shooting in NJ? Hee hee, thats a good one, I was under the impression that you need special permission from the King to even look at a firearm.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Go check out Fort Dix Rod and Gun Club - $50 a year then $3/hr to shoot. You can shoot anything you want- 'long as it's legal.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
How recent is that Ft Dix availability? Since 9/11/01, most military posts have puckered up so badly that it's difficult to even get on base. As far as Central NJ, I'm in the Edison area and there are only two non-membership pay each visit ranges in this area: the Englishtown range you mentioned and "Rip-Off" Ray's Sporting Goods on Rt #22 which is an indoor range. Depending on what type of shooting, frequency, and caliber, you might be better joining one of the clubs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to the Fort Dix range in Nov. of last year with a NJ member from this site. It was a nice range and they didn't seem to mind the black rifles (well most people there didn't seem to mind, there was one old fellow shooting next to us that kept giving us some looks).

The range is actually not on the post so there are no real concerns about non military using the range.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
www.cjrpc.org  though they do want a bit for membership.

Edited to get it right.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Hahaha, where to shoot in NJ!?!?!?! I leved there my whole life before coming to sunny FL a couple years ago. When I wanted to shoot, I took a trip to PA!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Where to shoot?   Center of mass of course...

Gun friendly Rangemaster??
they are ALL gun friendly, but none are people friendly..
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey new-arguy,
    I lived in Joizy for 42 years before moving to sunny FLA about 12 years ago. Best thing I ever did, with the possible exception of marrying my wife!  I used to shoot at the Winchester rifle/mudhole range right across from Raceway Park in Englishtown.  There was some know-it-all clown there who razzed everyone who didn't have an M-1. Called our AR's "beer cans" and such. That nut-job NEVER let up! What a loser. He's probably dead now anyway. No loss.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Agreed, go to PA.  You can even shoot Class 3 there.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:53:19 AM EDT
[#10]
The way I found gun ranges here in Ohio is through the NRA website.  Click on "Shooting" on the left, click on "shooting range locator", select your state, and you have a list of most, if not all, of the shooting ranges in that state.  The website has 39 listed for New Jersey.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought in NJ and NY you are not supposed to have a permit and you can just shoot where ever you want, crowded streets, gas stations where ever.  Also I have heard "drive by" shooting is popular, you might try that!

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey new-arguy,
    I lived in Joizy for 42 years before moving to sunny FLA about 12 years ago. Best thing I ever did, with the possible exception of marrying my wife!  I used to shoot at the Winchester rifle/mudhole range right across from Raceway Park in Englishtown.  There was some know-it-all clown there who razzed everyone who didn't have an M-1. Called our AR's "beer cans" and such. That nut-job NEVER let up! What a loser. He's probably dead now anyway. No loss.

I have to agree with this.... my experence with this "range-nazi" is that when I asked about my Match-Target he told me very clearly that it did not say "Match-Target" he would not let me shoot... so in spite of that, I brought my Bushmaster shorty... boy the look on that guy's face could spoil milk... he also razed us about our SKSs... told me that for the price of a "Match-Target" I could have bought a really good bolt action. After that, we only went there to do skeet/trap shoots.. for "ARs" we went to Long Island they have a great indoor range and anything goes...just no rapid.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]
CB1,
    That's gotta be the same moron. Short, squatty SOB. You kinda had to ignore him as I saw one guy tell him to F--- off and he promptly banned him from the range. I think he was buds with the rangemaster or something because somedays he WAS the rangemaster. That was the only place to shoot outdoors that was within 100 miles from my home in North jersey so we were all kind of stuck with it.  
    Man, what a difference in the old sunshine state! beautiful county-run range not 14 miles away with friendly and helpful R.O.'s And the extra added benefit of shooting all-year-round!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
fly...
thats the guy!

I know what you mean, moving to TX was like taking the hand cuffs off. plenty of places to shoot outdoor.  

happy shooting!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#15]
This may be what you're after.  NJGUNS

Edited 'cause I keep hitting the wrong button!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top