Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 12:03:13 AM EST
So here's the breakdown of what you'll see below:

DCU triple shingle (dusted with krylon
Woodland double m4 pouch
2 coyote eagle m9 pouches
Assorted straps and some paracord

I sourced my pouches from USRO during sales, and paid less than $20 bucks for everything you see.

So with zero sewing or technical skill, you'll have 3 AR mags, 2 pistol mags, and a blowout kit readily accessible.

I wanted to have a quick "grab and go" setup for my AR and my 92. It serves well as a bandolier, but you'll see with the addition of an extra strap it actually wears comfortably as an expedient chest rig as well.

So I humbly share this with you folks.

I understand it has it's shortcomings, but as far as ease of assembly and access to materials I figured it'd be a fun concept to throw out there to you all.

Questions, comments, concerns? Please share your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:21:45 AM EST
If the quality of materials you're using are on par or better then say condor or voodoo, buy a bunch off supplies and start putting rigs together. Come up with a way to use an X strap shoulder system and plain waist band for the rig. Send one to me for "testing"
If your cost is $20 a rig and quality is decent for range work, you might have some people interested. Just some encouraging thoughts
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:16:01 AM EST
I like it that you think "Outside the Box".

Excellent innovation there.

Good product that would be very useful sitting next to your HD Carbine.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:47:54 AM EST
Very nice.  Add in the homemade bungee straps and you are gtg.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:27:56 AM EST
looks pretty good, i wounder if you could web or sew two side by side for  abit more wrap around
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:48:33 PM EST
Thanks for the kind words guys! I have no intention of ever trying to sell them, but I'll surely share the idea and encourage improvement with as many people as I can. I agree with you cap6888 that the no-sew bungee mod would make this a pretty slick rig. Anybody else out there rummage through their gear bin and throw something like this together for fun?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:02:05 PM EST
At first I was ....then, after recognizing the outside-the-box thinking of the OP, I was

That trick might come in handy one day when someone needs to improvise, adapt, and overcome for real.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:16:30 PM EST
I like what you did there, OP. All I ever did was to throw a GI 6 mag bandolier over my head, with a GP strap clipped to it for around-the-torso.

I approve of your make-doism.

ETA: how do PMAGs fit in those shingles? I figured they wouldn't snap close on the plastic-fantastics...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:11:51 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA: how do PMAGs fit in those shingles? I figured they wouldn't snap close on the plastic-fantastics...
View Quote

They fit but its a small struggle to get them snapped. I keep the dust covers on them just to take some tension off the feedlips, and they still cram in there. They have stayed in there 24/7 for weeks and there's no real sign of that fabric stretching to make it any easier, but I've yet to have a snap come undone while maneuvering and jumping around.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:13:56 AM EST
Well done OP
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:37:03 AM EST
i have ones on my plate carrier that stretched alittle bit to fit my lancers pretty well, mabey dyeing them helped there still tight but at first i couldnt get them in
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:37:25 AM EST
Nice job!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:43:29 AM EST
Noob.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:54:21 AM EST

Touché...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:43:08 PM EST
Improvise, adapt and overcome.  I like it OP.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:02:21 PM EST
i think ill throw one of these together to keep in my truck, do you mind if i throw some pictures of what i do up here aswell?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:37:51 PM EST
Quoted:
i think ill throw one of these together to keep in my truck, do you mind if i throw some pictures of what i do up here aswell?
View Quote

By all means! I'd love to see any rigs people throw together! I'm always of the belief things can be improved upon.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:39:32 AM EST
That's great.  Good ingenuity, and I really like the simple strap set-up
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:41:04 AM EST
just picked up a cheap pair of these pouches, i dont feel like pulling the ones of my carrier. ill try sewing them to gether for more of a wrap around. im also going to dye them and find some buckels well see how it turns out
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:09:38 PM EST
well i got it together its not 100 percent and my sticthing is not pretty, its been a while since i ran a sewing machine. i still need some triglides and to clean it up a bit and dye it green, i dont have anyother pouches to throw on it yet but its nice and low profile. it holds 6 mags, and i still need to get some shock cord for the closers

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:23:44 PM EST
Looks good! I shot for a few hours with mine on Saturday and am really pleased with it. I may change up my strap setup seeing yours though. Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:41:15 PM EST
i pretty much  copied my chicoms angles so the straps cross behind my back fairl comftorbly
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:41:11 PM EST
Hey OP....over in the newer thread on a similar topic, TR0N just upped the Simple, Cheap Chest Rig ante to +87.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:23:19 PM EST
Quoted:
Hey OP....over in the newer thread on a similar topic, TR0N just upped the Simple, Cheap Chest Rig ante to +87.
View Quote

I saw that! His craftsmanship is fantastic! Definitely a sweet rig, but something tells me his work moves it a bit away from "cheap", and more to "reasonable"
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:11:59 PM EST
Quoted:

I saw that! His craftsmanship is fantastic! Definitely a sweet rig, but something tells me his work moves it a bit away from "cheap", and more to "reasonable"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope...it's cheap. I know...I was surprised, too. You oghta get a sewing machine and give it a go!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:06:47 PM EST
Something I threw together a few years back before I bought better rig.  (My main rig was ALICE)

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:27:55 AM EST
Quoted:
Something I threw together a few years back before I bought better rig.  (My main rig was ALICE)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/05pouches_zps885e9111.jpg
View Quote

That's pretty neat. I have a couple of those bandoliers. They make convenient grab and go mag carriers.

How did you attach the ALICE pouches, and what did you do for the sternum strap? I usually just use a GP strap with the metal clips because it's easy and it's there. I'll probably play with rigging up a buckle to the bando with paracord, then make an adjustable strap from there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:50:17 AM EST
Quoted:

That's pretty neat. I have a couple of those bandoliers. They make convenient grab and go mag carriers.

How did you attach the ALICE pouches, and what did you do for the sternum strap? I usually just use a GP strap with the metal clips because it's easy and it's there. I'll probably play with rigging up a buckle to the bando with paracord, then make an adjustable strap from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ALICE 1st aid pouches and waiste strap were put on with a needle and thread, by hand.  At one time I fancied myself a custom gear maker, but then I realized I had no inherent skill.  (Same thing happened with kydex)
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:07:28 AM EST
Quoted:

The ALICE 1st aid pouches and waiste strap were put on with a needle and thread, by hand.  At one time I fancied myself a custom gear maker, but then I realized I had no inherent skill.  (Same thing happened with kydex)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! I know the feeling. Thanks for the insight. I like playing around with stuff like this, but I buy my first-grab go-to gear.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:43:25 PM EST
My take on it combining this and the no sew method.
It holds everything really securely but I wouldn't want to put much more weight on it due to the 1" straps not being super comfey.

Shock cord $5
Nylon straps $12
4 Triglides $2
1 Latch $.50
1 Latch Body $1
2 G-hooks $5
I also stole a few parts off some canteen pouches for the front buckles.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:53:07 PM EST
Those rigs are kickass.

We need a do it yourself/build your own gear section on this forum.

I have a 6 mag bandolier and have been thinking about this same concept.

Great job guys!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:43:48 AM EST
Shenanagins, nice work.  Can we see some pices of how you've attached everything?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:40:49 PM EST
Pic of the back:

G-Hooks on both sides are pretty straight forward:

Shock cord is just looped through the molle on the front and tied in the back. Had to punch a hole in the nylon on the outer two:

The canteen pouch clips were attached by punching 3 holes in the nylon, melting the loose /frayed remnants and attaching the clips:

Hole pattern on the original canteen pouch:

How I looped the straps to eliminate loose ends:

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:43:23 PM EST
Oops!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:33:51 PM EST
Thanks for the pics.   I'm going to have to add one of these to my project list.
Top Top