Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 5:55:32 PM EDT
Just got back from the range after my break-in session with the new M1A. Questions... When I zeroed it at 100yds, I had to click up the rear sight about 10 clicks. The peep sticks up a good bit now. Is that normal? Now for cleaning. It seems not to be a good idea to strip down the entire rifle like I would normally do, since it is said to degrade accuracy. How are you able to clean the bolt good then. All I was able to do was hit the face and the what parts of the top and botom of the bolt I could reach when the bolt was closed. Any tricks on zeroing and cleaning? Thanks, Terry
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Willie,

The typical M1A will require between 8 to 12 clicks up from full bottom to sight in at 100yds, so yours sounds like it is right in the ballpark.

For cleaning - you're right....there is no need to strip the gun after a session.  Get you a good muzzle guide so your rod doesn't damage the bore crown and clean as normal. 1 trick for cleaning the M1A is to either close off the gas system with the selector switch or else keep the rifle upside down while cleaning - this will keep your cleaning solvent from dripping into the gas system & gumming up the piston.  Clean the chamber with a chamber brush and the bolt face with a fine brush & solvent.  Then wipe down the bolt as best as you can and then re-grease all the sliding areas.

Are far as cleaning the gas system goes......it won't need attention for at least 300rds.  Typically, I clean mine every 300 to 500rds. All you have to do is unscrew the plug and the piston will drop into your hands.  You can use drill bits to dig out out the carbon fouling in the gas cylinder & piston and you can even scrub the piston with solvent while it is out of the gun.  BUT - DO NOT lube the system at all...it is to remain dry.  I usually wipe mine down with de-natured alcohol before re-installation just to make sure.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the service rifle competitors I know have their sights regulated to zero at 200 yds 6-8 clicks off the bottom. You do this by carefully filing down the front sight a few thousandths until you are at point of aim at that distance. I used to have the formula, and maybe someone on this forum will read this and supply it.
You want to start as low as you can, while allowing for room to go down, so you'll have adjustment room at 800-1000 yds. If you start at 10 clicks at 100, you might run out at the longer distances.

edited because I can't tipe or speell.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ten clicks is about right. As for cleaning, I highly recommend gettting an Otis cleaning kit. It is so much easier to clean from the breach and it reduces muzzle where to virtually nothing.

For cleaning the bolt, I usually just worry about hitting the surfaces that I can reach without dissassembling the rifle.  I use double overed pipe clearners to as well as an old tooth brush to clean the recesses of the bolt face, the camming surfaces inside the op-rod, op-rod track, bolt tracks and locking logs and Q-tips to apply grease to these areas that need it. I'll occasionally disconnect the op-rod and pull out the bolt if its really grubby.

I break down my rifle for detail cleaning once a  year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top