Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 8:46:10 PM EDT
And if so, which one? I would use the "sight down the bore" trick except all of my rifles are semi-auto and don't have bore sight access. I heard negative things about the Site-Lite SL50; other than than I have no info.

Thanks for any replies,

CW
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
C_W,

I haven't had good luck with them but I haven't used any of the models that require a dedicated target. The beams on the two models I've tried (can't recall the brands) were difficult to see at 25M. I can get a good sight indoors or outside in the dark but neither of those environments help me much.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
i got one of those that drop in the chamber. the dot could not be seen in the day at a usefull distance.
i wound up using it just before dark. then  because the beam did not center in the bore, something i noticed when i took out the laser and put it back in, dot was in a different spot.
still managed to gestimate it from the dot and get the first shot within about 5 MOA.
it did not really save me anything as i could have just sighted in the old fashion way while waiting for the light to drop. but hell, i paid for the damn thing so im going to use it.

i have heard that the stoney point bore sight laser is good, but i've never seen/used one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
they are good if you have a business of installing scopes on many firearms. if you are just getting to use a couple times a year then they are a waste of money. i get people every year that buy them the night before deer season thinking that it will get them dead on at every distance for their rifle and load. they don't understand that all it is good for is to get you on the paper with the first shot. most of the "hunters"(i use that term loosely in this situation) don't understand that different rifles shoot to different POI with different ammo. these are usually the same guys that buy 2 differnt loads for their hunting guns. 1 for sighting in, and 1 for hunting with.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#4]
i got a laserlyte brand from natchez supply a while back.  will handle everything from .17 to .50 cal.  it get you real close. i like it.  mcole
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I use mine on every rifle I own with a scope. Gets me "on paper" way faster. Certainly saves on ammo during sighting in.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried a couple of the down-the-bore lasers and they were not useable (laser spot was very hard to see or laser spot  moved when the laser was re-installed in the same position).

I now use an SL-100 by SLite. It is easy to see and very consistent.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Laserlyte that fits in the muzzle. i have used it to 3 times,and it gets me pretty close. For 50 dollars i think it was worth it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#8]
the "Aimshot" fits in the chamber, gets ya on the paper decently (saves amo), basic .223 laser unit over which you can place the particular caliber "arbor" for your gun (ie., 30-30, .308, etc.). very good company! bought from Natchez but nothing fit correctly, contacted the manufacture (aimshot.com..?)and they replace the works in a very timely fassion.
As has been said, it gety ya on the paper...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top