Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2002 2:34:45 PM EDT
A friend of mine has a WW2 era Luger pistol in 9mm.  He says it is in good shape, is this a valueable firearm or should he just admire it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
A friend of mine has a WW2 era Luger pistol in 9mm.  He says it is in good shape, is this a valueable firearm or should he just admire it?

www.lugerforum.com
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There's only about a gazillion variables on Lugers. Everything from proof markings to type to place of mfgr. Nothing worng in shooting it, however, I would first replace the recoil spring as it probably has the original spring.

FWIW, I used my Luger to shoot my qual for my CCL.  >gg<

As a worthless piece of trivia, the most valuable Luger sold for a cool $1mil. It was one of three made in .45acp to be used in the Army testing in 1909 to replace the ree-volver as the side-arm of choice. One was shot to pieces during testing, one completely disappeared & the third was sold.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought there were only 2 45 Lugers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

According to the article (I think), it said there were three. I've slept since then so you could be correct.  >gg<
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the article (I think), it said there were three. I've slept since then so you could be correct.  >gg<

Quoted:

I beg too differ; I was watching "Wall Street" on cable last night and Michael Douglas' charecter (while showing off his own .45 cal Luger from his gun collection) clearly stated that there were only *6* made.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds kind of like the Singer 1911's .. 2 that singer owns and one floating around the world.. I found one on gunsamerica for 26000 bucks but I highly doubt its really there
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I beg too differ; I was watching "Wall Street" on cable last night and Michael Douglas' charecter (while showing off his own .45 cal Luger from his gun collection) clearly stated that there were only *6* made.

There have been .45acp Lugers made by only in recent mfgr. I don't know if it was Stoeger or whomever it is down in Texas (American Eagle?) that makes that S/S Luger.

But for the military trials in 1909 (or whatever year it was) there were only 2 or 3 actually made in Germany & brought to the trials.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Here are two lugers for sale to give you an idea:
www.csmilitary.com/firearms.htm

Luger
1918  with holster                          $750.00

Luger
1916 with holster                           $750.00

Those prices are Canadian so hope that helps.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

There have been .45acp Lugers made by only in recent mfgr. I don't know if it was Stoeger or whomever it is down in Texas (American Eagle?) that makes that S/S Luger.

I was watching "Tales of the Gun" on the History channel concerning the history and development of the P-08. They had one guy who still made .45 cal Lugers in his home workshop.
Beautiful looking handguns but also very expensive. That big .45 cal bore on a such a slender tapered barrel made it look bigger than it actually was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top