Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 12/12/2013 6:42:28 AM EDT
I've been reloading for about a year now, and I'm wanting to take the next step to a progressive.  I have an opportunity to purchase a used Hornady LNL AP locally; the gent's asking price is $375.

Besides the basic press, it comes with 20 die bushings, six shell plates (only one of which I would use off the bat), and a pretty good assortment of spare parts. Round count is unknown, but seems  to be fairly low - under a couple thousand for sure.

Here's where I need some help - this press has black receivers for the die bushings instead of the shiny ones I have seen on all the other presses.  The gent said that this is an 'older' model, with the older priming system, which is somewhat broken, but apparently still functions in some capacity.  There are some parts for a newer priming system mixed in, but I don't think they all play well together.

From what I understand, if I were to upgrade the priming system, the shell plates would have to be replaced, or sent back to Hornady for machine work to cooperate with the new system.  Am I on the right track here?

I'm still in the process of learning about the press and the nuances of this particular setup.  What I am hoping to avoid is purchasing this used press and having to spend more money on it than what I could buy a new one for

Any insight you might have with the limited information I have been able to provide would be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:51:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:52:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 6:54:35 AM EDT by M4-AR]
It sonds like the old original LNL, For the price it's a decent deal.

That being sad, I'd just buy a new press or "newer" used press. It'll be a lot less issue in the future than trying to mix and match parts to make it work properly.

I own a current production lnl. And it's not error free, but it's a really good press. And hornady has updated a few parts (primer) since I've bought mine. A quick phone call and they'll ship you the updated parts to keep yours current.

ETA: I do have a friend selling or sold his lnl for $450 and it was basically brand new. Included bushings, dies, a bunch of stuff. Just got to keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:58:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 7:00:55 AM EDT by sommere54]
I think I have made up my mind that it is not a GREAT deal at his asking price.  My math starts to get fuzzy when I consider the costs that would be associated with updating the priming system and the shell plates.  I considered hawking the shell plates that I wouldn't use here on EE, but I'm not sure there would be much of a market for them if they are only usable with an outdated priming system.

Specifically, I would love to hear if someone has one of these older presses and has made these updated improvements, the costs associated and headache involved would be most helpful. I have considered calling Hornady CS and talking with them directly, but I am unsure about what information they may require to be of any help; and I don't have the press sitting in front of me.

Edit for grammar
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:25:27 AM EDT
I have a current one and it is a good press. That being said I have 13 bushings, 3 shell plates, and the press for under $510. I would not pay him that much for a press that has problems from the start and outdated parts.

Since I am cheap, I would give him $225 or maybe $250 and deal with the headaches. At $251 or higher, it isn't worth the headaches to me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:24:27 AM EDT
Is he talking about a primer system update or the EZject update?
If it's just an early model LnL, the bushings run ~$40 for 10, so $80 in bushings (although the press comes with 5 currently).
Shellplates run ~$30.

When Hornady changed to the EZject, I think they charged ~$10 per plate to modify them.  I'm not sure what the primer system change is or was, though.  Anyone have details?
If the shell plates do need modification, whether for EZject or something else, I'd probably just eBay the ones you don't need..not worth the shipping + Hornady fee IMO.  I guess you could ship all of them in a Flat Rate box, and make a few $ back selling them 'fixed,' but likely not much.  Figure the best you're likely to come out here is making $10 or so per shell plate you don't use ($50), and saving $50 on extra bushings (if you even need that many).

I'd get the details on changes required (do you have any pics?)..maybe get the SN off the press and call Hornady directly, see what they say, and go from there.  
You can get a new LnL AP for ~$380 if you look for them/wait for a sale.  

The LnL AP is a good press, but I'm not sure the deal would be worth it to me at that price.  Maybe $100 less, IF it could be fully updated for low or no cost.
I'd also check with Hornady - I'm not positive if the lifetime warrantee is attached to the press, or for the original owner only.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:50:49 AM EDT
Bit of an update:  I got the SN off the press (00212) and called Hornady CS.  First words out of the tech's mouth were "Wow, that's an oldie."

Bottom line: $10/shell plate to have them reworked to accomodate the EZ-ject system, and another $100 for PN 398309, which includes the EZ-ject system subplate and upgraded priming system.

So.... about $160 to get this older style press up to snuff.  Me thinks it may make the most sense to snag a new one on sale and save the heartache.

IF I could get it bought for $200, I might still consider it, though the thought of having a new press sitting on my bench while waiting for parts is not appealing
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 2:05:21 PM EDT by rgerh]
My math shows if you purchase fromMid-way

$429.99
 -$30.00  promo code  301213
 $399.99

plus you will receive 500 new bullets

update 500    22 CAL .224 55 GR SP W/C  worth  $90.85  I assume you are loading for a AR other bullets are worth more
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:21:27 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sommere54:
Bit of an update:  I got the SN off the press (00212) and called Hornady CS.  First words out of the tech's mouth were "Wow, that's an oldie."

Bottom line: $10/shell plate to have them reworked to accomodate the EZ-ject system, and another $100 for PN 398309, which includes the EZ-ject system subplate and upgraded priming system.

So.... about $160 to get this older style press up to snuff.  Me thinks it may make the most sense to snag a new one on sale and save the heartache.

IF I could get it bought for $200, I might still consider it, though the thought of having a new press sitting on my bench while waiting for parts is not appealing
View Quote

The earlier ejection system was not very good. It worked ok on large diameter cases like a .45 but was very poor on smaller ones like the 9mm and .223 Rem. I got one of the final ones with the earlier ejections system and then upgraded to the EZ-Ject kit when I got tired of all the jams. The EZ-ject system is infinitely better.

I'd take that older press if someone gave it to me, but no way I'd spend that kind of money for it. Most likely, it's a "dog with fleas." If you get a new one on sale for $400, then deduct the value of the free bullets, you're getting quite a bargain. And you have the latest design enhancements. If you really want to go progressive, then you should go progressive the right way. Go new school.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:32:38 AM EDT
Thanks for all the help.  I think I have gathered the information I needed to make an educated decision.

Talking to Hornady CS was the kicker, and they couldn't have been more helpful.

I have a meeting with the current owner of the press this afternoon, if for no other reason than to let him know that his press was likely produced in 1996 and sold in 1997.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:00:27 PM EDT
Offer $300, pay $325
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:59:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By retrodog:

The earlier ejection system was not very good. It worked ok on large diameter cases like a .45 but was very poor on smaller ones like the 9mm and .223 Rem. I got one of the final ones with the earlier ejections system and then upgraded to the EZ-Ject kit when I got tired of all the jams. The EZ-ject system is infinitely better.

I'd take that older press if someone gave it to me, but no way I'd spend that kind of money for it. Most likely, it's a "dog with fleas." If you get a new one on sale for $400, then deduct the value of the free bullets, you're getting quite a bargain. And you have the latest design enhancements. If you really want to go progressive, then you should go progressive the right way. Go new school.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By retrodog:
Originally Posted By sommere54:

Pretty much ended up going this route.  The seller of the used press I was looking at didn't want to budge off his price, so a new one is on the way from Midsouth.

In the end, I'm glad it ended up this way.  I was having second thoughts about rebuilding half of a press I don't know much about.  I've got enough other projects to occupy my time - part of the reason I was looking to get into a progressive in the first place.

Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:30:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:44:57 AM EDT
You made the right call.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:25:07 PM EDT

Good Call and you found it for $10 less then Midway USA

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:29:20 PM EDT
Icing on the cake is Hornady's 500 bullet rebate, and I love me some 55 SP's

I'm often an impulse buyer, but found the vetting process of posting in this forum to clear the picture substantially.

I can't thank everyone enough for their input.
Top Top