Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 10:59:04 AM EDT
With Iowa recently legalizing suppressor ownership, I have made a few purchases in the past few weeks: Dead Air Mask 22, AAC Ti-rant 9 & a SiCo Omega 30.  I was looking to purchase one more before 41f comes around and I am looking closely at the Griffin M4SD II.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to if the M4SD II would make sense based on my previous purchases and what are the pros/cons of this particular suppressor.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Great items to start your collection with!

I have an M4SD in jail right now, after comparing the M4SD with the Halo, I decided to go with the Griffin offering - so I don't think you can go wrong with the M4SD II.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Griffin M4SD and the M4SDK, I think you'll enjoy your purchase.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an M4SDII, got it as my first can...upside is that it can fit A2 flash hiders, and A2 flash hiders are cheap!

Downside is that out of all of my Colts (7 or 8)..it only fit on 2. So while it SHOULD fit on all A2 mounts...realistically, with tolerances, it might not. Which means even though the mounts are cheap...you might need to buy a few to find one that'll fit.

Another downside is that you really should/need to shim the flash hider, and their shim kits sometimes need more shims than what comes with them to properly time things...getting it to fit on my 10.3" Colt upper w/DD RISII, for example, not only to time right but to actually be able to get it on, required more shims than what came with the kit. (it didn't go on far enough to lock it down with the shims supplied; it was a 14.5" barrel cut down by Adco. It's possible they cut it a hair too short, who knows.)

Not dealbreakers, just have your eyes open going in.

If GA would make a plain-jane A2 flashhider that's in their spec for the same prices as everyone else's generic A2 hiders...that'd be killer. Dirt cheap known compatible flash hider mounts for it that maintains a factory look for almost everything out there. But, that's just me, I could be wrong

Other than that? Wouldn't change a thing. It's quiet, not terribly heavy, locks up well, has a ton of compatible muzzle devices...it's hard to beat that. Most cans have at best a choice between one kind of flash hider or one kind of comp. Some have maybe two types of each. GA has many different models of all kinds, plus will fit on any A2 compatible hider.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the M4SDK, it's a great choice for a 5.56 can as it uses A2 hiders for QD. I can basically suppress every rifle I buy and build right out of the box without needing a $50-100 mount.*

*Yes I should use shims/peel washer. Those are still significantly cheaper than any 3rd party QD mount.
View Quote

It is a great can in terms of suppression and the A2 style connection compatibility. This was huge for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The shim kit has the included parts to time 360 degrees, and the stop washer is ~.11" wide itself, but the kit was not designed to make a barrel longer than it is.    We have a 10.3" MK18 here that the can fits with one shim set, but you may need a second tabbed washer to create the space to mount the can when there is zero or less than zero space between the front of the rail and the thread shoulder.  

When we designed the M4SD II we looked at A2 mount samples from 11 different brand AR's and that mount fit them all.  Then something changed on the market and we probably fit 50% or less of the mounts on the market today.  That may have been as simple as a huge OEM supplier switching from 1/8" grooving tools to 3mm grooving inserts.  We don't know what happened but the parts on the market today are not the same as they were in 2009 when the mount was designed.   There were several buying crazes, and maybe the quality just slightly relaxed for maximum volume of production.  
View Quote

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not "blaming" anyone - I figured my barrel was just a skosh too short, either that or the DD rail is a tiny bit longer than normal It just took me by surprise when I went to time it, got it perfect and found that the can didn't go down far enough It worked out, I bought spare shim sets just in case of something like this in the first place. This barrel was cut down by Adco; I haven't tried it on my factory Colt 10.3" mainly because that one is set up like an original Mk18...no DD RIS on it.

As for the A2 thing...that's another good reason to start cranking out your own A2s Having a non-fancy and inexpensive mount that can replace any factory A2 without upsetting a collecting purist has got to be worth something...the main reason I don't run out and buy more A2s is because I don't want to blow $10 on yet another A2 that doesn't fit. I don't need a drawer full of them I'd rather buy one I know will work, even if it costs me a couple bucks more. That way I can swap out flash hiders on a bunch of guns without it immediately looking like I did so, and still be able to take them to the range and put a can on them.

Yeah, I know it might cut into sales of other higher end products, and not really be what you're after business-wise...but I can dream

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top