Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2016 11:26:40 PM EDT
I went shooting yesterday and took my Glock with Lone Wolf threaded barrel out and was shooting freedom munitions 147 Hush ammo. FTE every time and after several squibs, I gave up. This is both suppressed and unsuppressed, Is this an ammo issue or barrel issue? The barrels are perfectly matched up, except the leading edge of the Lone Wolf feed ramp is sharper. Anyone have a Glock 17 and LW barrel and experience this issue?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I went shooting yesterday and took my Glock with Lone Wolf threaded barrel out and was shooting freedom munitions 147 Hush ammo. FTE every time and after several squibs, I gave up. This is both suppressed and unsuppressed, Is this an ammo issue or barrel issue? The barrels are perfectly matched up, except the leading edge of the Lone Wolf feed ramp is sharper. Anyone have a Glock 17 and LW barrel and experience this issue?
View Quote

I have a gen 3 17 with a lone wolf barrel and it's been 100% since I swapped barrels. Maybe 2-300 rounds so far. Haven't shot it suppressed yet. Waiting on my osprey to get approved. Call them up and ask
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Failure to eject? Or fail to feed?  Fail to eject is pretty common with silencer type ammo. Case in point CCI quiet 22 won't cycle any stock weapon of which I know
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Failure to eject? Or fail to feed?  Fail to eject is pretty common with silencer type ammo. Case in point CCI quiet 22 won't cycle any stock weapon of which I know
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both. I should have taken a picture, but every single round the empty casing would hang up and catch in the ejection port causing a FTF. I'll try some 115 WWB at the range this week to eliminate the ammo angle of this. I was really hoping to run the 147 Hush though, as it runs like a top,through my CZ Scorpion and 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
#1 - I have heard Freedom Munitions reman. ammo doesn't work well in ~some~ Glocks.   I'd try different ammo first.

#2 - the ammo may not have enough pressure to cycle your slide.   Here's some info from Lone Wolf regarding this.  It pertains to 40 --> 9mm conversions, but may still apply to your situation.   You might need a different slide spring?

Hope this helps..

Lone Wolf FAQ:
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=FAQ%20page#9mm%20Conversions:

9mm Conversions:

LWD 9mm conversion barrels will allow you to shoot 9mm ammunition from your Glock 40 S&W or 357 Sig handgun. These conversion barrels are easy to use and install the same as any other barrel, simply drop it in, no gunsmithing or other modifications are required. We do recommend you use the correct 9mm magazine with these conversion barrels to guarantee reliable feeding.

About 1% of our 9mm conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of low powered 115 grain ammunition causing a Failure To Eject (FTE). A good example of ammunition that is “most likely to fail” is Winchester White Box (WWB). This rare failure is too low a percentage to make an issue, however it is one we are well aware of. The fix to resolve this issue is quite simple:

1    Clean and lube your slide and barrel.
2    Shoot 1 mag to 1 box of good quality +P or +P+ ammunition through the barrel.
3    Try the FTF ammunition again. If it runs... great!  If you experience more failures you will have a couple choices to make:
Fix A        Reduce the recoil spring weight to 13 lbs. Cost is about $25 for stainless steel guide rod and reduced power spring.  See Guide Rods HERE
Fix B        Shoot 124 gr or a better quality 115 gr ammunition exclusively. The FTF 115 gr ammunition you are currently using is no longer a valid option.

What causes this problem? Several issues come into play.
1    The 40 slide and (40 conversion) barrel are thicker than standard 9mm slides and barrels. This extra thickness equates to more weight. The combined extra weight taps the energy of the "weak 115 gr ammunition” to its complete demise. It simply lacks in power and fails to reliably eject the spent round.
2    Every once in awhile a Failure To Feed/Failure To Eject (FTF/FTE) is caused by a fit issue. We resolve fit issues by pumping +P or +P+ ammunition through the gun. This hot ammunition provides extra pressure and the pressure will positively align any and all components. Once they are all aligned there is no longer a fit issue. The FTF/FTE is usually resolved.

FYI: Several manufactures are currently producing low powered 115 gr 9mm loads. This ammunition is also known to produce failures in all standard model Glock 9mm pistols.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Freedom has some pretty poor qc these days I would try new ammo first.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I would always suspect ammo first if you having those issues.  FTE's result from light loads.  Hanging up on the ramp could mean they are seated too far out.  The Glock was designed with a shallower feed ramp than the LWD barrel so having out-of-spec ammo combined with the LWD barrel seems like it could be your issue.  I have had a Glock 19 LWD barrel for a while now and it eats all of the factory 147 and 158 I can throw at it and readily fed my plated-lead reloads.  Have not had a single failure of any kind with the barrel, reloads, or anything.

The FM ammo you're shooting, is it the round nosed plated bullets?  That sounds like the worst of all worlds.  A truncated cone works best with 147 grain and plated bullets are just asking for trouble.  They also list it at 890fps which is awesome if you want to stay subsonic, but it's a little anemic for 147 which should start at around 950 up to 1050 with higher pressure loads.

My favorite is "WinClean" which shoots, uh, well, WinClean!  147gr bullet advertised at 990 FPS, but I get about 1020 average.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. guys! Definitely sounds like an ammo issue. I'm going to try some different ammo variations and see what works. I like to streamline my ammo though, and want to find somethings that will run good through my Glock and my QC10 9mm AR, as they both use the same mags.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
My glock 19 with LW barrel and regular 147 HP reman work great. I don't know about the "hush" line, sounds like marketing to me. Subsonic is subsonic, and the 147 gr remans are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I bet it's the ammo. My G17 Gen4 with a LW TB cycles great, suppressed and unsuppressed, with quality factory ammo (I've only used 124 gr. And 147 gr. In it)
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#11]
My g23 with LW threaded barrel would not feed after first round fired. I had the barrel for maybe close to 2 years before using it(just got approved for rev45). I contacted LW and they immediately responded, asked couple questions and asked me to mail it in. Sent it back to me in less than 2 weeks and no probs cycling ammo.  Won't get to pick up can till first of may so not sure about with it yet.  If ammo doesn't fix it give them an email. Kudo's to LW for customer service. I purchased a 9mm conversion barrel for it from then because of it. Excited to shoot it through suppressor too
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never have this issue and regularly shoot my osprey on my G17 that has a LW barrel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I never have this issue and regularly shoot my osprey on my G17 that has a LW barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm guessing ammo as well. My G19 with LW barrel is great with three different cans.

How many rounds through the gun?

ETA: I may have missed it, but what suppressor are you running? Any binding between barrel and slide?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Not sure if type of ammo has been listed, but when I loaded some 9mm with cast bullets with a diameter of .356 instead of .355,  they did not want to play in my G19 with a LW barrel, but shot fine in my Ruger P94.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm guessing ammo as well. My G19 with LW barrel is great with three different cans.

How many rounds through the gun?

ETA: I may have missed it, but what suppressor are you running? Any binding between barrel and slide?
View Quote

Zero rounds. First outing with it. I was running an Octane .45. Had the FTE with the suppressor on and off.Freedom Munitions Hush  Round nose 147gr.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What ammo are you using?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ammo are you using?

Everything from Aguila to WWB to all Russian flavors and everything in between and all weights.

Even shot some of that old school radaway green British 95 grain jacketed soft point through it. No issues whatsoever.

To me your issue sounds like either a rough chamber or bad ammo that hasn't got the oomph to cycle the pistol effectively.

I'd try some other brand/brands before thinking you're doing something wrong.

And you say you had squibs? (As in where the primer is impacted but fails to ignite the powder?) To me that screams bad ammo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm skimming but I didn't see any mention of squibs aside from the OP. Is that a wrong use of the term?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top