Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2016 11:17:37 PM EDT
I have 2 rifles which each have their own dedicated day optics with QR bases.

I also have an IR Defense MkII Hunter thermal scope. It too has a QR base.

What I want to do is make indexing dots on each rifle's picatinny rail and corresponding index dots on the base of the thermal scope - so that I can return it to the correct slot on the picatinny rails for each rifle...without pulling a notebook out and counting slots. Just line up the correct color dots.  

What is the best paint to use that won't flake or rub off in short order? Is something like lighter fluid or paint thinner the best surface prep?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Grab a paint pen and dot the slots you want to mark, call it done. If you really want to get high speed wipe it off with some rubbing alcohol to clean the spots you want to paint.

Then don't scrub that spot when your clean it. Just pick a spot that you won't rub on too much/ the mount won't rub against.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Grab a paint pen and dot the slots you want to mark, call it done. If you really want to get high speed wipe it off with some rubbing alcohol to clean the spots you want to paint.

Then don't scrub that spot when your clean it. Just pick a spot that you won't rub on too much/ the mount won't rub against.
View Quote
So, are paint pens lacquer or enamel? I believe I've seen both.

I need a minimum of two colors. Would fingernail polish be viable?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Nail polish from the dollar store works great for index marks and sights.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Google this..........Uchida Decocolor Glossy Oil Based Fine Line Opaque Paint Marker.
I use those on guns and also on my bikes.
On my bikes I mark air and oil settings on suspension. Some have been on as long as 8 years and still going strong.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]
We used paint pens in the Marines. The stuff that's at Walmart in the craft section. Stays on good. Can be easily removed with alcohol or light amount of acetone soaked rag.

Pen paintmarker marker pen

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top