Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 10/9/2007 2:28:41 PM EST
I didnt see a gunsmithing forum...only refinishing so i posted here.

First off I am not askin how to illegally saw off anything here... If i wanted to do that id get a hacksaw...

I have two questions:

1. Does anybody know of good/ reliable/ cheap persons/places to have a barrel turned down or repfofiled. and what should a local machine shop be charging me. What should i consider a reasonable price.

2. Does anyone have information on turning down, reprofiling and recrowning barrels for a do-it-yourselfer. My friend has a milling machine and lathe in his garage and i was considering turning down some old 20" lightweights to 14.5 and pinning on phantoms. for lighweight KISS builds.

I have already gotten pretty good at two types of pinning/welding as well as parkerizing and now i want to learn somethin new and see if i can make new use of some old undesirable barrels.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:12:09 AM EST
anyone???
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:21:56 AM EST
There has to be a gunsmith near you that can do the work. MidwayUSA has a gunsmith finder on their website, you may want to try there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:07:45 PM EST
Are you are talking about the AR15 variants? If so, by the time you set-up, machine and relocate/pin the front sight post, (not to mention refinishing and re-straightening the barrel from stress relief) the cost can easily approach or even exceed the cost of replacement.
Top Top