Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 9:59:17 AM EDT

I have some .30 cal M2 AP rounds that have been pulled and resized.

How will those marks on the side effect accuracy?

Im not looking for Submoa accuracy, just couple inch groups at 100 yards.

FWIW i found this article where the guy mangles .308 bullets and tests them with surprising accuracy
http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-49-damaged-bullet-accuracy-and-the-box-o-truth/
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're not expecting match accuracy you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds good to me. Planning to buy a Springfield M1A and would like to punch homes in some steel just for fun
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Years ago, I pulled some good bullets (Hornady 68s) with a collet. The symmetrical nature of the pull left them in very good condition for the match shooting I was doing at the time. I was only able to test out to 400.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
While this link doesn't directly answer your question... it does have great insight into damaged bullets and the effect on accuracy.

Frankly ... the whole website is wonderful leisure reading....

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-49-damaged-bullet-accuracy-and-the-box-o-truth/
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Where did you get black tip (AP) 308 bullets? Been looking for some myself. I see them pop up from time to time in the EE section.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sounds good to me. Planning to buy a Springfield M1A and would like to punch homes in some steel just for fun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AP bullets loaded in .308 may run afoul of ATF regs. I'd double check before loading.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
There is much more wrong with black tip bullets than some pull marks.  
I did a test with some 7.62mm black tip bullets and my accurate AR10A4.  This rife turns in consistent MOA with good ammo if I do my part.

The first thing I found was that the weight and length of the BT bullets was the most inconsistent that I've ever measured. I selected the most similar examples and segregated them by groups for testing. The brass used was measured for concentricity.  I tried both stick and ball powder, in weights that are known to be generally accurate for gas guns.

The group results were dismal. Crowds with lots-o-flyers. I stopped testing to rethink how I will respond to this reloading challenge, because I didn't want to "test out" all the bullets I had only to be left with a magazine full at the end.  After all, BT bullets for the 7.62mm are no longer for sale!  I'm thinking of plating them with moly, to give them more consistency launching in the barrel, and settling on  a ball powder and retesting, with the aim of achieving  marginally acceptable battle accuracy, + high speed for penetration. I feel like I have to proceed though, because on some future occasion it might prove really lucky to have BT bullets loaded for a 7.62mm gas gun.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where did you get black tip (AP) 308 bullets? Been looking for some myself. I see them pop up from time to time in the EE section.
View Quote

They are no longer for sale via CMP or bulk ammo/reloading stores.The  only place to find them is the after market such as CDVS.us and gunbroker.com
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

AP bullets loaded in .308 may run afoul of ATF regs. I'd double check before loading.

View Quote

From what ive read as a civilian...

It’s perfectly legal to possess, purchase, sell or shoot armor piercing ammunition.
It’s not legal to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition.
Its worth noting that there is a difference between RELOADING and MANUFACTURING ammunition.

Reloading is the process of combining per-manufacturered components together in small quantities for personal use.
Manufacturing involves actually making the bullets, the brass, primers, etc...from raw materials and doing so in large volumes for the purpose of selling for a profit.

TL:DR Its perfectly legal for avg joe citizen to reload your own AP ammo using pulled or surplus supplies.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is much more wrong with black tip bullets than some pull marks.  
I did a test with some 7.62mm black tip bullets and my accurate AR10A4.  This rife turns in consistent MOA with good ammo if I do my part.

The first thing I found was that the weight and length of the BT bullets was the most inconsistent that I've ever measured. I selected the most similar examples and segregated them by groups for testing. The brass used was measured for concentricity.  I tried both stick and ball powder, in weights that are known to be generally accurate for gas guns.

The group results were dismal. Crowds with lots-o-flyers. I stopped testing to rethink how I will respond to this reloading challenge, because I didn't want to "test out" all the bullets I had only to be left with a magazine full at the end.  After all, BT bullets for the 7.62mm are no longer for sale!  I'm thinking of plating them with moly, to give them more consistency launching in the barrel, and settling on  a ball powder and retesting, with the aim of achieving  marginally acceptable battle accuracy, + high speed for penetration. I feel like I have to proceed though, because on some future occasion it might prove really lucky to have BT bullets loaded for a 7.62mm gas gun.  
View Quote

I have some M61 pulled bullets which are the proper bullet for making AP 7.62 but seeing as they are expensive and next to impossible to find, ill stick with beat up pulled M2 bullets at less than half the price. As long as i can hit small 6 inch steel plates semi regularly at say 100 yards Im more than happy. Not looking to shoot the head off a ground hog with these or anything.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I can still buy AP bullets for my 50 BMG so I know its still legal,
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had dodgy results from pulled M193 projectiles, but I think that's more a problem with 2 or 3 different styles of projectile than it is the pulling.    Those were air pulled, no marks.

I bet they'd do better if I sorted them by type.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:17:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Obviously, those bullets aren't match-grade by any standard but you'll still get fairly good accuracy from them, probably about 2-3 MOA at best.

Still good enough to hit 6'' plates at 100 yards. Work up a good load and put holes in steel !

The Box-o'-Truth article was good. Where he damaged the base wasn't a surprise though. He removed weight from one side of a spinning object throwing the center of gravity off. Don't need a rocket scientist to tell ya what will happen there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Obviously, those bullets aren't match-grade by any standard but you'll still get fairly good accuracy from them, probably about 2-3 MOA at best.

Still good enough to hit 6'' plates at 100 yards. Work up a good load and put holes in steel !

The Box-o'-Truth article was good. Where he damaged the base wasn't a surprise though. He removed weight from one side of a spinning object throwing the center of gravity off. Don't need a rocket scientist to tell ya what will happen there.
View Quote

There's also gas escaping through that side before the other.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top