Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2009 2:16:46 PM EDT
Last weekend, I had occasion to pick up a Springfield M1 Match chambered in .308 and was told it was worked up and accurized by A&B Dow, Inc. of Dade City, FL. It was supposedly worked up back in '95. Since then it has had about 200 rounds down the pipe and is in flawless condition. I know the guy I got it from.

Is anybody familiar with his work? How good is he? Can you just call up a 'smith' and ask about what he did to a certain rifle 15 years ago? I guess what I'm asking is do most smiths keep a file on what they did to a certain gun?

Thanks for any help!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2009 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Bruce Dow is one of the best.  When Karl Maunz wanted a match rifle built, he had Bruce Dow build it.  I Bruce has been a FFL and a gunsmith for over twenty years.  He knows the M1 and the M14 inside and out.  I interviewed him for my book.  He's good to go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Bruce Dow is a gunsmith who is also a registered Professional Engineer. He has been working on rifles for over 15 years and provides full gunsmithing services, along with an inventory of parts, accessories, and relevant books. in addition, Bruce is considered an authority on the history and collecting of the M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot and ran alot of matches in FL during the early to mid 90s.  I know quite a few folkw who shot rifles he workd.  I am pretty sure Tim Mahan went Distinguished on one of his M1As.  While I have heard a couple folks (only 2 or 3 of the hundreds of FL/GA shooters I met or know) say their builds weren't worth crap from him, I think those may have been personality-related.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems I may have gotten a very nice Garand. Now I'm anxious to get to the range!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top