Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2010 6:16:29 PM EDT
I found a smoking hot deal on a SIG 556 SWAT SBR.  If I buy it, the rifle will be for duty use and have plenty of rounds put through her.  I have lurked and read several posts on different forums and there seems to be several different opinions from people as to the 556 reliability.  Some say 'great rifle when it runs' or 'early models run better than later' and even claim that SIG quality control is spotty.  

Before I start carrying one on duty I am asking what the general concensus is here among the people that own the 556.  Lastly my PD has authorized the use of suppressors on personally owned patrol rifles, so an AAC M4-2000 will be going onto whatever I buy.  Any experiences with 556 SBRs with cans on them and associated reliability issues would be a help.  Thanks.

UPDATE:  I put my money on a SBR and am off to get what I need to send in my BATFE paperwork.  For those that qualify (current/retired LEO) GT Distributors is selling NIB Sig 556 SWAT SBRs (SIG part # 556405) for $1209 + stamp.  This is an individual officer sale, no PD involved.  You just have to show your police creds.  

"It's beautiful, man"
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Simply put, the SIG 556 has reliability that rivals the AK.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have that same setup, minus the handguards, and mine has run 100% from day one.  With or without the can, regardless of ammo.  Wolf, Silver bear, Brown bear, Tula, reloads, and when I can afford it, even brass.  My favorite rifle and I would trust it with my life.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2010 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Simply put, the SIG 556 has reliability that rivals the AK.

+1 I have an 09' build and have over 1k rounds down the tube and the rifle runs flawlessly.  Unlike my AR15, it takes about 10-15 seconds to completely disassemble the rifle for cleaning and you can put far more rounds through it before the rifle needs cleaning. Also, there is almost no recoil and no annoying buffer spring "twang" every time I pull the trigger.  It has a "crisp" feel that you will notice once you fire one.  Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Link Posted: 8/4/2010 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Despite their flakey QC and bizarro marketing, mine has never had a malfunction.  However, it should be noted that I have less than a thousand rounds through it.

Never heard of anyone having any reliability problems with their's.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
mine's been flawless with wolf 75gr hp and pp 62gr hp....  I haven't even run any domestic ammo through it yet  don't have to.

I find, like my glock 36, folks who don't have one will knock it alot!

ETA: I actually have a second waiting at my ffl to be picked up as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
one thing I need to do is either find some modified replacement grips or make my own out of MOE's.

the factory grip leaves some to be desired.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Gonna be the lone naysayer here. While I like my Sig, I would not trust it with my life.

Just my opinion and not based on anything concrete.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
one thing I need to do is either find some modified replacement grips or make my own out of MOE's.

the factory grip leaves some to be desired.[/quot

(Accomplice) has a Sig556 in the pic threads page 17 near the bottom of the page with a CAA grip.  It moves the grip to a more forward position and gives better access to the safety and mag release
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gonna be the lone naysayer here. While I like my Sig, I would not trust it with my life.

Have you had any specific issues that makes you think that there is a reliability issue?

Link Posted: 8/4/2010 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Sig 55X series of rifles are boringly reliable.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you had any specific issues that makes you think that there is a reliability issue?

The only issue I've had is with the Sig mags. I get a FTF every once in awhile. The AR mags work fine in the Sig.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. I've been an AR-15/M-16 guy for 15+ years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only issue I've had is with the Sig mags. I get a FTF every once in awhile. The AR mags work fine in the Sig.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. I've been an AR-15/M-16 guy for 15+ years.

Ask any serious Sig guy.  The factory mag is cheaply made with a weak follower spring.  Any operational failures are generally caused by the factory mags.  Pmags work the best IMHO
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#13]
i don't have the sig mags, but I wouldn't use em either.  I'm in NY, but my usgi's and thermolds work great.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm kinda interested in them myself as well................I have always liked the SIG rifles, but reading some of the reports concerning the 556 left me unwilling to try one............have they worked out all the bugs?
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm kinda interested in them myself as well................I have always liked the SIG rifles, but reading some of the reports concerning the 556 left me unwilling to try one............have they worked out all the bugs?

I don't think any manufacturer can work out ALL the bugs but everyone who has sounded off on these forums of late has had great reports for the most part.  You never hear about the AR15's failures but they fail far more often than the Sigs from what I hear.  I had a RRA A4 platform and I couldn't shoot half of the surplus stuff through it that I can through my Sig.  The RRA just wouldn't cycle the cheap stuff consistently.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a P556 SBR and its been flawless.  If you can get one for a smokin deal, grab it!
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#17]
True............I have been thinking about trading an AR I have toward one, as I like the classic with the regular handguards..........and then maybe someday fgetting a Swiss stock and handguards to make a 550-like rifle

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think any manufacturer can work out ALL the bugs but everyone who has sounded off on these forums of late has had great reports for the most part.  You never hear about the AR15's failures but they fail far more often than the Sigs from what I hear.  I had a RRA A4 platform and I couldn't shoot half of the surplus stuff through it that I can through my Sig.  The RRA just wouldn't cycle the cheap stuff consistently.

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I have sold over 50 of them. Never heard of any reliability issues of note as far as actual function of the rifle. We did experience something odd on a few of the early rifles though... not sure what the technical name for it is, but it is the stamped steel latch that retains the charging handle would break allowing for the charging handle to fall out. Sig replaced promptly and haven't seen that problem since so perhaps it was bad metallurgy in those particular stampings?
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#19]
It's either the classic or an MSAR STG..............like them both, but the classic can be had around here a little cheaper than the E4  

Quoted:
I have sold over 50 of them. Never heard of any reliability issues of note as far as actual function of the rifle. We did experience something odd on a few of the early rifles though... not sure what the technical name for it is, but it is the stamped steel latch that retains the charging handle would break allowing for the charging handle to fall out. Sig replaced promptly and haven't seen that problem since so perhaps it was bad metallurgy in those particular stampings?

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I have over 1K rounds through mine with not a single malfunction. Accuracy is very good, and recoil is almost non existent. Cleaning is such a breeze it almost makes me hate shooting my AR.

I love my 556 Classic SWAT so much I just bought a Patrol model for an SBR project. I have put my AR up for sale to help finance it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Same here...........my AR has to be sold to finance the classic 556, but I think it would be worth it, and I have a Colt 6520, so I am covered

Quoted:
I have over 1K rounds through mine with not a single malfunction. Accuracy is very good, and recoil is almost non existent. Cleaning is such a breeze it almost makes me hate shooting my AR.

I love my 556 Classic SWAT so much I just bought a Patrol model for an SBR project. I have put my AR up for sale to help finance it.

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 556 SCM. It  doesn`t like Wolf. The SIG diopter site Flew off the gun today as I put 170 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a 556 SCM. It  doesn`t like Wolf. The SIG diopter site Flew off the gun today as I put 170 rounds through it.

The entire sight?

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#24]
While sig556's are good rifles, there are defiantly QC issues with some rifles that you should be aware of. If your betting your life on the gun, check out this link before you buy. Link and this one link2 .
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The sig diopter site is low quality (as you found out) and so is there red dot and sig magazines  that come with some of there rifles. Buy after market sites and mags only. My sig also had issues with wolf early on. You can do two things to fix it. Adjust the gas valve to the second setting or break the gun in with mil-spec ammo (maybe 200-500 rounds?) on first gas setting and then see if wolf will work one the first gas setting. Wolf is underpowered and cause the rifle not to cycle, but once the rifle is broken in mine cycles 100% with wolf.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Have had 3 556's now, the most recent being a patrol swat model.  So far, they just run and run and run.  The 556's iron sights are the next best thing to having HK diopter setup.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have had 3 556's now, the most recent being a patrol swat model.  So far, they just run and run and run.  The 556's iron sights are the next best thing to having HK diopter setup.

you mean 556 diopters!
the stock er sights are beyond pathetic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Bump with the update.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah,  the diopter rears.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Hopefully those issues are fixed...........I dont want to drop money on something that has issues

Quoted:
While sig556's are good rifles, there are defiantly QC issues with some rifles that you should be aware of. If your betting your life on the gun, check out this link before you buy. Link and this one link2 .

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

UPDATE:  I put my money on a SBR and am off to get what I need to send in my BATFE paperwork.  For those that qualify (current/retired LEO) GT Distributors is selling NIB Sig 556 SWAT SBRs (SIG part # 556405) for $1209 + stamp.  This is an individual officer sale, no PD involved.  You just have to show your police creds.  

"It's beautiful, man"

Anybody selling these to those of us that aren't police?  I've seen them on GB, but they want $2500...

I spoke to a Class III deaker on this rifle about 4 months ago and almost bought one.  The cheapest deal that I could find through a regular civilian sale was $2280 + stamp.  GT Dist just started carrying these within the last month.  I stumbled onto it while I was shopping for some ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I would say the SIG 556 is a super rifle for police because as they always say " most police shootings are within 7 yards". Mine was horrible and while it never jammed the rail came loose, bolt catch broke, barrel had to be replaced as was gas system due to bad etc. Even when I got it back it still would only get 3" at 100 with any match grade ammo. For 7 yard shooting it was great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top