Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2011 5:31:00 PM EDT
I've been on a quest for a powder that I can use to load 308 Win & 223 Remington and wound up reading
about IMR 8208-XBR and how it meters great through a progressive and hows it temp. INSENSITIVE....
I bought a pound of this stuff to try out, (for my AR-15's and my Dad's AR-10). (was hoping to run it in Dad's
Hornady LNL AP press)

I've got the following bullets on hand:
(.224")
55 grn Sierra Blitzkings
55 grn Hrndy FMJBT's
75 grn Hrndy HPBT
77 grn SMK

(308)
165 Hrndy Interbond

Not sure if any of those may work for this powder, but I'd give any of them a shot if it was worthwhile.
I also need to get some bullets for the AR-10, as the ones we have were the freebies from Hornady.
I'm open to suggestions on the 308 bullets. Don't need super match grade for the 308... it's going in
an 16" AR-10 carbine, so I'm not expecting a 1000 yard tack driver with that gun.

Anyway... let me know whatever opinions you guys have of 8208-XBR and what your pet loads are if you
have any.

-ZA
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered 25 pounds of 8208 XBR so I to would like to hear what others have used for loads.

I had read it was great for 77gr 223 which was my main reason for buying it but also I shoot 308 bolt guns and like the fact it is not temperature sensitive.

It might not be the bets choice for lighter 223 but that is more a guess based on the fact most powders that work well in light do not in heavy and vise versa for 223

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]

An OCW string from my AR10A4C with stainless barrel.  The data is on the pics.  42.0 gr. looks like the sweet spot load and it's what I'll load and shoot two 10 shot strings with for group size and SD info when it gets above freezing again.  This rifle likes the 168 A-max's.  I couldn't get close to this group size with 150 or 155 gr. anythings.  43.1 is Hogdon's max load.  This got me close to 2600 fps with a 16" barrel and the primers still looked good and no other pressure signs.  If velocity were everything this load would work in my gun but 42.0 should be much more tolerant of variations and still have good accuracy while only giving up 50 fps.  Beware though, once you get the first pressure signs, this powder makes pressure fast thereafter!  When testing with 150 gr. bullets .5 gr. took me from flatish primers to loose primer pockets. I'm also using in my son's M15 with 55 gr. bullets but have not worked up OCW loads yet.  8208 ties with RL-15 as the best performing powders in my AR10.  I haven't explored RL-15 with the 168s yet but plan on it.  However unless something spectacular happens, I think I'll stick with 8208XBR.  For an explanation of OCW method of load developement: http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
24.5 grains, sierra 53 grain match bullet, .7 inch 10 shot groups out of my savage model 12  223.

Have not had a chance to try it in my ar's
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking info.

Thanks for sharing.... anyone got anymore results with this powder?

-ZA
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nice looking info.

Thanks for sharing.... anyone got anymore results with this powder?

-ZA

Not sure if this will be helpful, but:

My results with this powder in 30-06.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad248/MBuechle/TgtGfxocw1b.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad248/MBuechle/TgtGfxocw1a.jpg

An OCW string from my AR10A4C with stainless barrel.  The data is on the pics.  42.0 gr. looks like the sweet spot load and it's what I'll load and shoot two 10 shot strings with for group size and SD info when it gets above freezing again.  This rifle likes the 168 A-max's.  I couldn't get close to this group size with 150 or 155 gr. anythings.  43.1 is Hogdon's max load.  This got me close to 2600 fps with a 16" barrel and the primers still looked good and no other pressure signs.  If velocity were everything this load would work in my gun but 42.0 should be much more tolerant of variations and still have good accuracy while only giving up 50 fps.  Beware though, once you get the first pressure signs, this powder makes pressure fast thereafter!  When testing with 150 gr. bullets .5 gr. took me from flatish primers to loose primer pockets. I'm also using in my son's M15 with 55 gr. bullets but have not worked up OCW loads yet.  8208 ties with RL-15 as the best performing powders in my AR10.  I haven't explored RL-15 with the 168s yet but plan on it.  However unless something spectacular happens, I think I'll stick with 8208XBR.  For an explanation of OCW method of load developement: http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

I read the link on the OCW method, and I agree with it 100%. Makes ALOT more sense that the ladder method.

-ZA
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Before I discovered it, I wasted a box of 155 Match Kings, a half box of 165 gr. soft points  and a lot of powder without discovering much.  I've read about Audette ladder testing but did not see that it did anything OCW didn't and it requires a 300 yd range.  Anyway, glad I could help and good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top