User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2010 10:40:47 AM EDT
Done
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
120 miles away from my machine at the moment, but a definite tag, for when I get home.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
good advice, I subscribed to this thread as well http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=326764

Are you still using the needle bearing?
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Done
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#5]
well damnation....I'm going out to the shop....Thanks Steve
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It turns out that the Indexer Block (#16671 on pg 50 of your manual) can be adjusted fore and aft.  It drives the Ring Indexer which houses the Indexer Pawl.  All that's required is to loosen the two bolts on the Indexer Block and adjust it fore or aft until the Indexer Pawl drives the Shellplate exactly into it's final position.  When you've got it adjusted correctly, the jump and resulting spilled powder will disappear.        

It's part # 16776 on page 48 of the online manual that I use.

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-XL650-Manual-May-2007.pdf

Really this part is more to align the priming station as there is very little fore aft movement.

Be careful you do not mess up your priming alignment and make seating primers more difficult.
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
So are you going the make a YouTube Video?
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It turns out that the Indexer Block (#16671 on pg 50 of your manual) can be adjusted fore and aft.  It drives the Ring Indexer which houses the Indexer Pawl.  All that's required is to loosen the two bolts on the Indexer Block and adjust it fore or aft until the Indexer Pawl drives the Shellplate exactly into it's final position.  When you've got it adjusted correctly, the jump and resulting spilled powder will disappear.        

It's part # 16776 on page 48 of the online manual that I use.

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-XL650-Manual-May-2007.pdf

Really this part is more to align the priming station as there is very little fore aft movement.

Be careful you do not mess up your priming alignment and make seating primers more difficult.

+1

This is not to be played with.  You will get crushed, crooked or mangled primers if you screw with this.
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#9]
i have used the needle bearing fix but quit because it causes the end of the ejector rod to pop out of its hole and thus not eject the loaded rds, or it messes w/the case feeder. i have bent the end of the ejector rod down as far as i can bare handed and w/pliers (thing is stiff as hell) but it still pops out. anybody know of anything else i can do lemme know.  thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
My LNL has the same problem with rifle cartriges.  I concluded that it was because of the ballberring on the bottom of the shellplate dropping into place, but I haven't looked for a cure yet.   I wonder if adjusting the paws would help?  I've never looked at a Dillon.  Do opperate in a similar manner?
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Seems to work fine best I can tell...I made an ever-so-slight adjustment, issue corrected. Loaded up a couple hundred rounds of .357 mag afterwards. No primer indexing issues at all.
Thanks again Steve
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Done
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Done
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#16]
This is why I love this place. Thanks for the info COSteve. It appears that you are still using your flat washer with the needle thrust bearing. With the adjustment of the indexer block, do we still need the flat washer and needle thrust bearing or can that be eliminated? I see someone commented that their case ejector slipped sometimes with this setup. I Installed mine between the shell plate lug and flat washer and  tightened it just enough to hold tension and still function. This seems to lighten the "snapping" between pulls and still provide positive tension on the case ejector and shell plate. But can this cause any problems I'm not seeing?
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sorry to say both Scalce's and hondaciv's posts above are both wrong because the Indexer Block has nothing to do with the primer adjustment.  It's solely for advancing the shellplate, not moving the Platform below it. My recommended adjustment then is solely for controlling how far the Indexing Ring, and therefore the Indexing Pawl, will advance.  This is the only method available to adjust the Shellplate advance.

We never said it adjusts anything on the platform or the priming assembly.

Think about what holds your case that needs to be primed.

Could it be the shellplate?

If the shellplate indexes too far clockwise or counter-clockwise, your case which needs to be primed in station 2, may be out of alignment and therfore your primer(which is static) will not be centered in the case.

Primer alignment isn't always an issue depending on the caliber, brass, and primer but if you have some tight primer pockets with primers that typically measure on the high end, you will have issues.

This is why some people complain that LC 556 brass is difficult to prime on a 650 with CCI primers.

You can tell your priming station may be out of alignment if you see the shellplate get forced slightly clockwise or counterclockwise while priming, and then settle back in place when you bring the handle to rest.

Adjusting the indexer block is part of the troubleshooting guide if you have hard or incomplete indeing.

Take a look at page 41 of the online 650 manual from 2007:

RTFM

Hard or Incomplete Indexing
A. Shellplate not indexing smoothly.
9. Ring indexer (#13677) worn or indexer
block (#16776) needs adjusted.

So while this may have helped your 650 with some powder spillage, it's not a new idea and could totally misalign someone else's priming.

We just wanted people to be aware that it may help lessen one issue but cause another.
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Done
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Done
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're missing the point of the adjustment.  

My adjustment does not change the ultimate position of the Shellplate, but rather how it gets to that position.  The shellplate is held in it's final position by the Indexing Ball and spring, not by the Indexing Pawl.  

The adjustment I suggest is merely to drive the Shellplate into it's final position with the Indexing Pawl rather than stopping close to the final position and then having the Indexing Ball jerk it into it's final position.

ETA:  As to your comment claiming that adjusting the Indexer Block changes the final position of the Shellplate and giving as evidence, the following quote from the Dillon manual,

Hard or Incomplete Indexing
A. Shellplate not indexing smoothly.
9. Ring indexer (#13677) worn or indexer
block (#16776) needs adjusted.

That's addressing the exact point I'm talking about.  Incomplete indexing results in the Indexing Ball jerking the Shellplate into it's final position.  Once again, The shellplate is held in it's final position by the Indexing Ball and spring, not the Indexing Pawl.  

Fair enough

I also just wanted you to be aware that this has always been in the troubleshooting section of the 650 manual.

Maybe someone should sticky that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Done
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I did this several years ago and it helps! I read about on another forum somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 1:19:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Dillon recently revised the design of the indexer block to ensure indexing is complete before the primer starts entering the case. IIRC they raised the cam surface by .120 or so.  They say this has helped eliminate many priming problems.

I recently purchase a 2nd 650 which was occasionally kicking a few Win 748 powder granules out of 223 cases This was with 25 grains which does not come all the way up the shoulder. The indexer block was slightly out of adjustment and I noticed a slight jump in the shellplate when the ram was near bottom of travel. Readjusted the block and she is fine now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top