Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/7/2011 7:03:38 AM EDT
I want a large chopper,camp,bushcraft ect, knife. I like ESEE but i dont really want to trash one. I know that ontario and esee used to be the same company but now that esee has left the building how does ontario's rat knives compare to esee's knives ?

Looking at the rat7, rd9 or rtak II or a esee junglas "hoonglas"
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you been to ESEE's site?

I think you might be mixing the two up:  Ontario used to manufacture some knives for what was then RAT Cutlery where RAT=Randall Adventure  & Training.

Anyway, I have a H.E.S.T. and and ESEE-5.  Their knives are much larger than the website makes them appear...the -5 practically is a machete.  It's large enough that I have yet to find a place on my armor to mount it w/o giving up too much other gear.

After hearing people say "damn, I cut myself w/o evening realizing it" I felt pretty stupid when I cut myself w/o even realizing it...factory edge on both of mine was superb.

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an esee5 i know they are great knives but Ontario prices are a little better so i would not feel as bad about it under rough use...
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have an esee5 i know they are great knives but Ontario prices are a little better so i would not feel as bad about it under rough use...

I highly doubt that Ontario will replace your knife because you jammed it into the mortar of your house and used it as a step to climb up.  ESEE....yea no questions asked replacement waranty.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Even the ESEE guys on the their old Bladeforum.com site or their own ESEE site don't trash or down talk Ontario.  They'll be the first to tell you that Ontario makes good knives.

Having said that, I'd never buy an Ontario over an ESEE unless $$$ was the only criteria.  Even then, I'd scrimp and save before buying an Ontario.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#5]
So what is the better buy the Esee Junglas or the Ontario Rtak II ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]
ESEE warrantee is Lifetime - No Questions Asked - you break it, they replace it.  Warrantee follows the knife not the owner...  (link)

For some, this would justify the price differential (and maybe then some) - for some maybe not...  you make the call...
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
How about Esee vs Becker (this is a painful link, caution)

Click at your own risk
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ESEE warrantee is Lifetime - No Questions Asked - you break it, they replace it.  Warrantee follows the knife not the owner...  (link)

For some, this would justify the price differential (and maybe then some) - for some maybe not...  you make the call...

ESEE is the Dillon of the blade world, I guess.

That said, I've only had one Ontario knife - and it was a folder. I loved it dearly. Until one day I had it in my pocket while pumping gas. Reach into pocket for something else, knife gets bumped off the clip.

Hits pavement and every singe part of that knife came apart. Well...the grips stayed on the frame, but everything else just fell apart. I was heartbroken.  

I picked it up off of the LAPG Clearance section, so it's not that I was out of a lot of money....just a "good" knife.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
For a big, lightweight chopping camp knife, I like my K Bar cutlass. It's inexpensive and good. Not made in the US though
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top