Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 46
Posted: 5/21/2007 7:52:17 AM EDT
I just got myself put on the list to get a 30" barreled 50 bmg upper from this guy.  He is new to the building business but according to his website, he has 15 years of machining experience.  I figure at $895 for the 24" and $995 for the 30", you can't go wrong.  It is a bolt action.  You have to really surf through all the buttons on his site to see all the information.  He said he's still in the process of getting all of the info updated on his site.  Ship date for mine should be around Aug. 1st.  

www.bohicaarms.com
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I am very interested in one of these, but need to know something...

From the website: "With Military Ball we were getting rough groups of about 2'
at 750 yards, in a 10KT crosswind, prone, shooting at 5 gallon pails of
water."

How does this accuracy compare with other .50 uppers, and with complete .50 rifles (non-competition)?  Is this in the ballpark of what I can expect from surplus ammo in general?
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
From everything that I've read, which isn't a bunch, I don't think anyone is getting great accuracy with military ammo out of any 50 rifle.  Military ammo was made to shoot of M2 Brownings which are not sniper rifles.  

The only AR upper that I have seen that is even remotely close to the Bohica in price is the Watsons upper and you have to shotgun the rifle and screw out a breach plug and screw back in for every shot.  That would be an incredible PITA to do every shot.  

My guess is that if the Bohicas gain much popularity, the prices will go way up to the level of the other kits out there.  The only other bolt action uppers that I have seen start out in the $1800 range.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the price went up to $995.
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I spoke to him on the phone this morning and he said $895 for the 24" and the $995 was the 30".
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Tagged for a Range Report...
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#6]
mine is supposed to be ready by the end of july.

Finding ammo is the problem.

I scored a case of barret 661 gr fmj's for $15 a box. The going rate is over twice that.

Just like everything else, surplus is also a problem. I am not interested in a match gun however. If it will put a bullet in a bucket @ 600 & 1000 yds. I will be happy.

The cheapest I found was some surplus ( other than the barrett) was some surplus @ $2.00 a round. Haven't looked at it yet though. It is in my gunshops garage & they have to dig it out. Who knows what it is.

Should be fun on the groundhogs at the farm.
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's an honest question I've had about these uppers.  Forgive the abject stupidity...

how well does an aluminum AR lower stand up to the pounding a 50BMG can dish out?

I know the lower can "support" the 458 and 50 Beo., but the 50 BMG is whole 'nother level of recoil.

Does the muzzle brake reduce recoil enough to prevent excessive wear and tear on a lower?

I figured the takedown and pivot pins and their respective aluminum holes would take a beating...

thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope you post a review when you get it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2007 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here's an honest question I've had about these uppers.  Forgive the abject stupidity...

how well does an aluminum AR lower stand up to the pounding a 50BMG can dish out?

I know the lower can "support" the 458 and 50 Beo., but the 50 BMG is whole 'nother level of recoil.

Does the muzzle brake reduce recoil enough to prevent excessive wear and tear on a lower?

I figured the takedown and pivot pins and their respective aluminum holes would take a beating...

thanks for the info.

This is straight from his FAQ's section on his website.

Will the AR-15 Receiver stand up to the recoil?

"Yes, Not a problem. I have test fired over 650 shots thru one of our prototypes and found hole elongation of under .002. The lower receiver holes take very little of the recoil as most of it is transmitted straight back thru the tight fit at the rear of the receiver into the stock."

I'm thinking that if you can afford to put 650 rounds through this beast, shelling out another $150 for a new lower won't be an issue for you.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2007 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Cough, Cough, Cough

2" groups at 750 yards on a 5 gallon bucket of water? I will not say it is impossible, but has anyone EVER seen a water container hit with a high powered rifle?

Well the question is this, how can you get a 2" group when the container is prone to exploding when struck with a supersonic projectol?  Just curious is all.

The world records on the FCSA website for a 5 shot group at 1,000 yards
Light Gun Heavy Gun Unlimited Gun Hunter - Prone
Single Target Group

Sheri Rasmussen
2.603” - 8/20/2006
Skip Talbot
2.600" - 10/1999
Paula Dierks
3.064" - 7/4/1999
Lee Rasmussen
4.313" - 3/5/2006

So forgive me if I am a bit skeptical over the 2" group at 750 yards with military ball ammunition on a 2" group on a 5 gallon bucket of water. <smile>

There are other rifles made on the AR15 recivers as well. They are more money, but they have a proven track record as well. My first choice would a ferret from spider firarms or an ALS.

My last choice would be one that I have to disasmble every shot.
I shot in a static target match about 3 weeks ago. The best 5 shot group was 6". It had a 2.2" elevation X 6" windage spread. The wind drifted it open to a 6" group.

That was shot in an Armalite AR50 and it was NOT with ball ammunition.

For what it's worth, just my 2 cents worth. Be carefull where you spend your hard earned $$$$.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 4:56:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Cough, Cough, Cough
2" groups at 750 yards
Nick

Except he said 2 ft (2')
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Your right!  I misread it! lol

Nick
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

thanks for the info.

The AR 15 lower only gets stress on the stock, buffer, buffer, spring, buffer tube, and the ring of the back of the receiver the tube screws into. 90% of the force goes straight back, very little goes down on the main part of the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just got myself put on the list to get a 30" barreled 50 bmg upper from this guy.  He is new to the building business but according to his website, he has 15 years of machining experience.  I figure at $895 for the 24" and $995 for the 30", you can't go wrong.  It is a bolt action.  You have to really surf through all the buttons on his site to see all the information.  He said he's still in the process of getting all of the info updated on his site.  Ship date for mine should be around Aug. 1st.  

www.bohicaarms.com

I ordered one two weeks a go with a 30” barrel can’t wait to try it out!
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Is this one of those non-FFL uppers? He says he makes his own barrells so what kind of muzzle breaks options do we have?
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]
You don't need a FFL nor would you need it sent to an FFL.
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]
allright, thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Umm,....bohica arms..........bohica?    

Bend
Over
Here
It
Comes
Again

Scam?
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Umm,....bohica arms..........bohica?    

Bend
Over
Here
It
Comes
Again

Scam?

I really doubt that this is a scam, The man doesn"t ask for any money up front to be put on the list. When he makes them, He will call you . Has been seen at gun shows etc promoting his product.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I just ordered a 30" upper, in OD green. The price went up $100, and is now $1095 for my upper.

Expected delivery is mid August for the second batch. He said the first batch of 100 is expecting to ship very soon. Also mentioned they are no longer producting barrels in house. They are using Montanna Arms (IIRC), the same barrels DPMS uses. Reason given for this was the demand was far greater than they expected, and didn't have the capacity to produce so many barrels.

Can't wait until I get mine!!!

I'll probably throw some BUIS to play around with before I dump another ass ton of money on a scope.

Now I just need to find some good surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Anybody get theirs yet? I was told about two weeks from now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2007 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#23]
*****************NEWS FLASH********************

I just asked Criss a few questions about his upper. Seems that he has had 3 cancelations and so of the first 50 batch that will be shipped in the next week or so. He has 3 completed rifles that no one has the dibbs on.  I received this email Saturday afternoon on the 28th.
Link Posted: 7/29/2007 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Cant wait until I get mine!!! Should be here second week of August.
Link Posted: 7/29/2007 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
*****************NEWS FLASH********************

I just asked Criss a few questions about his upper. Seems that he has had 3 cancelations and so of the first 50 batch that will be shipped in the next week or so. He has 3 completed rifles that no one has the dibbs on.  I received this email Saturday afternoon on the 28th.

Yea, he had 4 cancelations when I talked to him. To bad for them, because now I have a new upper headed my way. He told me mine should ship friday. Cant wait.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got this from Chris and he asked me to post it for him.  

I understand, I ran into a fit problem with the hand guards and had to re-work the tool. I will have new hand guards early next week and do my very best to get everybody's upper out the door by the end of the week.

I want you to understand that I'm doing my very best to build a high quality product that's worth waiting for.

Thanks again,

If you would please post this on AR-15 .com I would appreciate it as my membership has not been approved yet.

Thanks,

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp
(763) 441-2151
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Let him know that he can still post here without being a paid member.  If that is what he is talking about.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#29]
So the uppers are no longer ready for shipping?
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I am not on the buying list, so I suppose it is easy for me to say this. But If I was one of you guys waiting for my upper. I would see waiting just one more week to get a product that was caught at the factory with a flaw. That was corrected. Well I suppose one more week would be worth it. verses getting something sub standard and be disappointed. Hell 1k bucks is not something I have pouring out of my ass.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Hell 1k bucks is not something I have pouring out of my ass.

If only...
Em_Four
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Received the following e-mail from Chris yesterday:

An update on the shipping of your FAR 50 Uppers from Bohica Arms.

We are experiencing a fit problem with the hand guards which we did not anticipate.  They are currently at the mold shop and we are told they will be ready by Friday at the latest.  

We pride ourselves in quality products and apologize for the delay.  We will have a better estimate for shipping time by the end of the week.  Please contact us if you have any questions.  

Again we apologize for the delay and hope you can understand our concern with this issue.  

Thank you.

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp

Now to buy my reloading press!
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Your right!  I misread it! lol

Don't feel bad, so did I
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag for the outcome of delivery and initial testing...

Also, I wonder how effective the muzzle brake is?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

From his web site: "It's as effective as the one on my AR-50™"

Looking foward to firing it and posting a range report.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From his web site: "It's as effective as the one on my AR-50™"

Looking foward to firing it and posting a range report.

Good deal. Can't wait to see how it goes!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Well,

It's Friday. I hope to get shipping information today, or at least an update.  I hope this is the real deal he has had my $$ for 2 weeks now. I can understand delays but I have never received an update without me emailing or calling. Has anybody anywhere ever received anything yet?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#38]
No, but my cc was charged on 7-23. He best deliver before the due date or I will have to dispute the charge.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got off the phone with Chris after talking for about 50 minutes.  I called and left a message and he returned my call so that was a good sign.  He said he got all of them test fired today and most of them assembled.  He said he will try to get at least half of them shipped out on Monday.  He still has to get them all boxed up to get ready to ship.  He said the problem with the handguards is that the pin that holds them on was to high and was causing the picatinny rail to bow up.  I'm not sure that is it word for word but is close.  I told him that there were people getting antsy on here and he said he'd rather have people mad at him now than a month from now because he wants to make sure the quality is there.  

I guess he was having a problem with his registration on here because he was using his Bohica email address and can't get the password email to come through to his account to finish the registration.  

I explained that I was nervous because we have no other customer experience to go off of to know whether or not this is a scam.  If these uppers are as good as he says, it will be worth the wait but it sure is nerve racking waiting on them.  He also said that if it was a scam, we could all contest our charges on our credit cards.  

I feel reassured after talking to him.  He said he was out test firing them today and his wife was getting several calls from people so he knows we are getting antsy.  

I will say this.  If the upper is as good as I'm hoping, I will give him due praise.  I won't hold the delays agains him.  Compared to what some of the other upper companies waiting lists are, my wait hasn't been very long at all.  One I was checking into was 9-12 months and required a deposit.  I'm not putting money down on something that I have to wait a year on.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#40]
When I called to pay for mine( 7/24) . His wife told me middle of august shipping, not sure what delays you all speak of!. I'm positive chris will come through. Patience, patience!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm local so I'll give Chris a call tomorrow and see when mine will be ready for pick up. At this point I'm positive that this isn't a scam because I've seen a few these uppers at local shops already (gunshop samples). Like I said before, from the quick look that I got earlier, we're all going to be very happy w/these.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Guys, I met Chris personally at the local reloading shop and I am not at all concerned that this might be a scam.  He is a nice guy and very knowledgeable.  We are among the VERY FIRST orders of a brand new product.  There are bound to be bugs for Bohica to work out.  I would rather have them get worked out before the uppers are released to the public than have to bring my upper back for work later.  When I originally placed my order, I was told that they first batch would be ready in early September, so as far as I'm concerned they are right on schedule.  Delivery any earlier than that will just be icing on the cake.  

Erud
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Hi Guys.

I finally got a login approved so I can post here.

I appreciate those of you who have had the paitence to let us work out the production problems we encountered. I wouldn't have taken any payment yet from anybody if I had not truly though they would be ready to go within a reasonable time frame.

I have received the new handguards and am in the process of getting the first 40-50 finished up and in boxes. They should ship Monday or Tuesday. The rest will trickle out through the week.

Those of you who are going to pickup locally, I will have those ready by the first part of next week.

If anybody is not willing to wait, please contact me at the shop # listed on my pitiful website and I will have a refund issued. (much nicer website coming soon)

As I told one customer "I'd rather have you mad at me now, than once you get your product. Delivery issues are usually quickly forgoten, however the stigma of poor quality lasts forever"

Please don't hesitate to E-mail me with any questions, but don't be offended if you call and it takes a day to get back to you. I've been swamped with E-mails and calls and that just cuts into the available time to get product ready to ship.

Once again thanks!

Sincerely,

Chris Rosequist
President

Bohica Arms Corp
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks Chris. Patiently waiting and will continue to do so until they are ready.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Chris,

Are you going to be sending out shipping notifications?

Has anybody received one?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Anyone hear any news on these??
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Hi Guys,

Just talked with another member and he has expressed concern wheather or not these are "legit" -

I will say this, To those of you who have had the patience to wait . . . . Thank you! To those who don't want to wait or are scared this is some type of "scam" please feel free to e-mail me or call me at my shop# and I'll willingly refund your money. What kind of "scammer" would do that?

I have been getting upwards or 10 calls per day asking wheather or not the your upper has shipped. They have not, they will soon. I have been working 18 hour days for the last 3 weeks to get these done. I'm not going to rush now just to keep a sqeeky wheel quiet. You will be called or E-mailed tracking info when it ships.

There are over 300+ people on my waiting list (after the this first shipment of 100). I want to make this an enjoyable (and somewhat profitable) business.

I do appologize for taking payment before they were 100% ready. Lesson learned, next run gets billed when they are in the box and RTG.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks again for your paitence. Especially those of you who have not been hounding me.

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 46
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top