Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2012 1:51:33 PM EDT
be taken with a .22 pistol in a survival scenario?
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
In a survival scenario, who cares about humanely?
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is that better?
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that better?

Whatever puts food on the table, I don't care.

So long as it stops running away it can squeal, squirm, and linger all it wants until I cut it's throat or snap it's neck. So long as I can eat it once the "survival scenario" becomes reality it can die any way it chooses.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
That is tough question because we don't know your area, or your skill.

You can take a doe with a heart or brain shot if you can track her long enough for her to die.

I know you can take fish, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, opossum, armadillos, dogs, cats, birds, pigs, old people and small children.
Only kidding on the last two.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, all of them, if you hit them in the bean.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
That guy from "In the Wild" or some such killed a moose with a .22. I would say any animal on North America could be killed from tree stand or ambush position with a .22. Although only Chuck Norris would kill a grizzly with  a .22 to the eye.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Uh, all of them, if you hit them in the bean.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Although only Chuck Norris would kill a grizzly with  a .22 to the eye.

simple by throwing it it. No gun needed
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Porcupine. Hell you can do it with a stick or a rock. And they taste like greasy pork.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Anything can almost be taken with a good head or heart shot, although I would probably avoid things that might eat me if I missed. ie, grizzlies.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Tap
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Tap
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Porcupine. Hell you can do it with a stick or a rock. And they taste like greasy pork.

Shot one out of a tree in October. Greasy pork is an understatement, the only way I'll eat one again would be in a survival scenario, period.

Ultimately, if you are confident with your shot, take it (in a survival scenario at least). I personally wouldn't try on anything larger than a fox unless I was within about 10 yards.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Depending on the time of year and the location, smaller animals/game would be prefered. A large animal that cannot be kept is not optimal, humane or not. Meat that won't be consumed can atttract the wrong type of attention to your position. Cougers, mountain lions and wolves in one form or another live in almost every state.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pretty much anything in North America if you have the skill for proper shot placement and proper conditions.

Charging grizzly? Good luck with that!

Taking down a deer or elk standing still from reasonable range? (think bow range) No problem. Between the eyes or behind the ear will drop them no prob.

I've had to put down several horses. I usually shot them behind the ear. Sometimes up close, sometimes 20-30 yds. Dropped them. A lot of cows, sheep, pigs, goats, etc. The round will do it if you put in the right spot.

The Indians here aren't subject to caliber restrictions and take large bull elk all the time with .22 mag.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Keep it to small game you will do fine. It will also do well as the Coup de grace  head shot as long as the bullet crosses both hemispheres of the brain.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
only Chuck Norris would kill a grizzly with  a .22 to the eye.

In point of fact the wold record size griz. (for a few years at least) was shot by hunters in British Columbia with a .22.  They were hunting squirrels or some such when the grizzly attacked.  
.22 round went through the eye then bounced around the inside of the skull for a while.

(obviously these guys were lucky to be alive, the point is bullets can do weird things if the hit just the right spot.

Out here in AZ, one could easily hunt rabbits or quail pretty much year round with a .22 in a survival situation.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 3:03:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Using a rifle and Stinger Hyper velocity ammo an Elk should be no problem with proper shot placement. Not sure with a pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top