Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 5:23:25 PM EDT
Along with all the other toys I want, I've been thinking about a carbine in 7.62x51/.308. On my short list currently are the DPMS Panther LR-308AP4, DSA SA58 Tactical Carbine 16.25" barrel, and the Springfield armory Socom 16 (not Socom II )

My plus and minus thoughts for each are as follows:

DPMS AP4
On the plus side - Lowest in price. Same basic ergonomics as all other A/R's.
On the minus side - Shortest time on the market. Proprietary magazines. The need to stock up on magazines (a consideration due to the potential political wind shift next year).

DSA FAL Carbine
Plus side - It's an FAL! DSA reputation.
Minus side - Costliest carbine, especially with added options. Same need to stock up on magazines as with AP4

SA Socom 16
Plus side - Already have an M1A standard, so know the ergonomics, can share magazines.
Minus side - Quality issues I've read about. Price.

If you own/have usage knowledge of one, two, or all three of the above carbines, I would like to hear your experience.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I own the DPMS AP4, and with a Trijicon Accupoint mounted on it, I was able to manage a 3/4" shot group at 100m with Federal blue box ammo. Average group size was about 1.5". So far I really like it for the basic AR ergonomics. The only issue I've had was that it wouldn't take a RRA match-grade trigger, so I'm stuck with the stock trigger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
The answer is clear.

Socom 16

You already have the magazines and are familiar with the platform for maintenance purposes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top