Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2007 9:30:33 AM EDT
So here is the deal.  I sent off my completed Form 4 at teh end of April.  Check was cashed on May 2nd.  I just found out that I was approved on July 2nd.  Here is the kicker:  my dealer has still not recieved the stamp and approval paperwork.  

Any advice?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Call the ATF examiner and see if it shipped? If its lost ask for a copy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  They said it had shipped.

Do I ask them to send another one?  Will they do that?  How does that work, do they cancel the first one and issue a new one?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
according to NFA branch if after 30 days after its been shipped if transferor has not received it, they will send another copy.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
They supposedly send a "certified" copy.  What I got was a zeroxed, 1-sided copy.  Forget about getting an actual replacement $200 stamp.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They supposedly send a "certified" copy.  What I got was a zeroxed, 1-sided copy.  Forget about getting an actual replacement $200 stamp.

So is the "xerox" copy legit?  It must be a legitimate substitute for the original right?  
Say the original got lost in the mail and fell into the wrong hands, would the transferee (me) be liable for any wrongdoing?

Please excuse the ponderous questions.  I am a NFA rookie.  (obviously)

Thanks for the replies guys
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Form 1 apparently lost in the mail??
They made a copy from the one original they keep (no stamp & one sided) & marked it with one of those raised imprint seals like a notary uses that says "Certified Copy ...".  When I made xerox copies this seal actually shows although not real strong.  Not as purdy as the ones with the stamp, but just as legal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]
This makes me want to send them a pre-paid Certified Mail return envelope along with the paperwork.

I paid my $200, I want a stamp, dammit!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't feel too bad, the Form 4 I sent a month ago for my G5 is lost somewhere too. Unfortunately the check hasn't even been cashed, so it's looking like I'm going to have to redo it. My dealer is out of town until Monday so I have to wait and see if somehow it got returned to him or something.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

Same here .....

Funny thing was, about two days after that, the originals show up ......

This was for a couple of guns that I traded TO a dealer ....

That was about 3-4 years ago, before the "new age" of the NFA division ....

What they probably did was put both copies in their files instead of keeping one and mailing me the others and found the mistake when the copy was requested - I heard that this happened more than it should in the good-old-days ......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top