Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2012 4:00:01 PM EDT
I picked up this 1951 Romanian UMC CUGIR Single Shot .22 Trainer the other day. It's no light-weight at 8.5 pounds with a 26" heavy tapered barrel.

I took it down to my range this morning. To be honest I should have waited as the wind was really humping along at 30-35 mph but what the heck, a windy morning of shooting is better than no morning of shooting.  

I suspect the weapon will do much better on a calmer day as it's a joy to shoot with a trigger pull a bit under 1 pound. I used 40gr Wolf Match in it. It has a built-in bullet guide so it's easy to load. Just drop the round in and close the bolt.

Given the conditions and my old eyes I'm OK with the results for now.

I ordered a 4 X 32 EER rifle scope for it. I already had a set of Warne medium 1" steel rings that fit the grooves that the rear sight mounts on perfectly. I suspect it will really shine with a scope mounted on it.

Bottom target is 25 yards.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice shooting, and man great looking little 22.
Where did you find it, and how much if you don't mind me asking.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
very nice, I have the more common 5 shot pencil barrel version and it too is a quality piece
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
very nice, I have the more common 5 shot pencil barrel version and it too is a quality piece

If you don't mind, who is dealing these rifles?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't mind, who is dealing these rifles?

they were all over the place a few years ago, I got mine from J&G in AZ and it was $55 for a hand select I think. I think they're all on the 2ndary market now so check the EE and backpage or whatever your local version is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice shooting, and man great looking little 22.
Where did you find it, and how much if you don't mind me asking.

There is a small shop in my town that has a bunch of .22 target rifles of various flavors. Mostly BSAs, Parker-Hales, Anshultz, and Russian. They are only open on Saturday and don't do net sales. A real honey-hole but when they sell-out they will close their doors. The owner passed.

I gave $150.00 for the UMC and figured I got a bargain as most of these single-shots were very ragged both inside and out.

I looked over several back when they were first imported at the shows (before I had a C&R) and darn near every one I looked at had either a hogged-out chamber and/or ringed bore or chamber. Every one had peened chamber faces from dry-firing. Some did not even have rear sights. I'm glad I waited and snagged a good one I could lay my hands on.

If you ever come across a complete one you really need to check it for the warts I mentioned before you buy. I don't think I would buy one sight unseen.

If the creek don't rise I'm picking up either a German pre-war BSW Model 317 or a Russian CM-2 there this week.
In true ARFCOM fashion I might just lay both .22s away.  

BTW.....The 5-shot Romanian M-69s are going for around $150.00 in my area now. I used to own several but have sold all them off save one over the years. They shoot well enough if you can get them to feed right but I never considered them much of a much for some reason.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top