Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2010 7:36:01 AM EDT
What is the most accurate, and reliable of the 22 cal AR-15 rilfe that are available?  I would scope it, and use it at 100 yards. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Spikes .22 upper and it is awesome!
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Most Accurate: Compass Lake
Most reliable: maybe CMMG. Spike's, .
Good 100yd accuracy is going to need a premium barrel.
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I installed a CMMG barrel into a upper and used a Ciener conversion. The combination of the two must have pleased the accuracy gods because it is the best shooting rimfire I own other than specifically built match guns.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I owned a S&W AR-22 & a GSG Carbine (not really an AR, but WTF) & neither gave me reliability worth their price. Then I bought Sig 522 & couldn't be happier. It uses Black Dog mags & has been 100% from the first mag load I shot with it.

I have no experience with the new Remington & I loathe Ruger products so I can't comment on those.

My .o2
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a S&W mp15-22.  Had initial jamming issues, sent it back to the factory and got it returned at zero cost.  Now at ~500 rounds with zero malfunctions using Federal Bulk .22LR.  Accuracy is good.  I got sub 2 inch groups at 50 yards. Certainly not a 100 yard rifle, but I doubt that any of the tactical AR-15 type 22's are designed to be.
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had good luck with a 15-22, other than trouble I've made for myself; stuck a Bill Springfield modified trigger group in mine, and got into doubling trouble and other evils.  Bill eventually stood behind it, but I still got an occasional double.  Finally sent it back to Smith, and they made it right; better customer service does not exist on the planet.  I'd have told me to go to hell under the circumstance.
I've since put a Geissele trigger in mine and set it up to mimic a Govt Carbine that I own; works great, shoots straight, jams are rare, and everyone who shoots it wants one.  I can hit two inch steel at 25 yds offhand with irons.
Moon
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out the rimfire/pistol forum in the AR15 section. Lots of good info there.

I run a CMMG .22 upper. It's relaibility cannot be beat, even with crap ammo, and it's a hoot to shoot suppressed. Keep it clean, keep it wet, and it'll keep you happy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the S&W 15-22 & quite happy. Accuracy is good enough for me to tag Ohio whistle pigs out to 60-yds. off-hand with little problem.

If you want to read a more extensive comparison, the most recent NRA publication of American Rifleman includes the tactical 22's.
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a S&W M&P15-22 last month and couldn't be happier. I haven't had this much fun shooting a .22 since I was a kid.  Acceptably accurate and super easy to clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top