Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2007 10:12:03 AM EDT
yet another boot thread...I know...

So here is the deal, I just joined the Gaurd and the unit I am assigned to is supposed to deply next year.

So...

What I am looking for from current or recent active duty folks are recommendations on desert boots that "generally" would fit the standard of the military without having the command upset. I know each command will vary but I am looking for something that is at least considered acceptable by Army standards..

Comfort is my most important factor and cost the least.

I have a general idea so I am looking for experience here form those that have used the products in the field.

I posted some here with their link so any feedback or suggestions

Danner

I had a pair of these Danner TFX and they were so comfortable but they look like the converse and  have heard that some commands don't like the converse boots...

Corcoran

Altama

Or How about these..I have these and they are the greatest boot I have ever owned....

Haix

I know a lot is going to be a "depends" type of thing but a bal park to look in would be nice...

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Danners are hit or miss with people. I personally dont like them much. Way too heavy and the sole seems rounded rather than flat. Your legs will appreciate you if you dont wear 2.5lb (each) boots if you are going to be humping it.

As far as issue type of boots go the Bellvue 390DES is about the best you can get IMO.

But the best desert boots I have worn are USA made Oakleys. Mine have held up very well, they are comfortable, and dont weigh a ton. The only problem is they are a bit off the wall if you have an anal chain of command. The only thing my unit had said was a no-go was the side zip boots. Anything else as long as they looked like boots and were desert were fine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah yes I forgot the U.S. made Oakley's..I imagine also what you were when deployed will be a little more lenient then what is on post..
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The most comfortable were the 5.11 H.R.T.s but they barely lasted 3 months, so I would not recommend them.

I love my Danner Acadias, but like Belmont31R said, they are definitely not light.  They are tough as nails, and once they are broken in, they feel like a part of me.

I say go with the Haix.  You already know they work for you, and if your unit OKs it, your golden.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been a long time Lowa boot user...

Here is another choice...

lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3512080430&Category=8&Type=M

I haven't personally worn these, but they generally had good reviews at lightfighter...
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I haven't personally worn these, but they generally had good reviews at lightfighter...

I like those also but my only concern is what is the true color of them, is to far off from most desert boots in uniform, it appears they are at least in the picture..
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Belleville boots IMHO are the best boots that I've ever had.  Second in line after Belleville were my Altama ripple soles.  I have two pairs of Belleville 390DES along with a pair of the goretex 790s even though I barely wear them.  I'm really considering picking up a pair of the Altama ripple soles in desert tan since I liked them so much a couple years ago.  Bottom line, go with Belleville.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Belleville boots IMHO are the best boots that I've ever had.  Second in line after Belleville were my Altama ripple soles.  I have two pairs of Belleville 390DES along with a pair of the goretex 790s even though I barely wear them.  I'm really considering picking up a pair of the Altama ripple soles in desert tan since I liked them so much a couple years ago.  Bottom line, go with Belleville.

The ripple is a 10 inch boot which for me is to high.

I like the 790's how do they compare to the 390's I like gortex bots for the fact that my feet would stay drier....

Link Posted: 11/11/2007 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone using these, what is the color like in real time (versus a web picture)

Garmont
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ripple is a 10 inch boot which for me is to high.

I like the 790's how do they compare to the 390's I like gortex bots for the fact that my feet would stay drier....

790s are heavier and hotter than the 390s.  The 390DES is great all purpose boot.  Just be careful of the sizes.  My 390s are 1 size smaller than normal jungle boots.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 2:59:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, the 790's are waterproof through the use of Gortex, the 390's are not waterproof. Since Gortex is supposed to breath I would think they are not that hot...any other opinions on the heat factor of the 790's?

we have one yes they are to hot from FDC any others?
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#11]
For issue boots the Belleville 390's and 790's are great.  When it was hot I wore the 390's (much lighter and cooler) and when it is cold I wore the 790's (Anbar in January).  I have heard the Oakley's are nice, but they are expensive and depending upon your leadership, may not allow you to wear them.  I saw a contractor wearing a t-shirt at Al-Asad that said "We Went to War, and Garrison Broke Out", which sums up what you will have to deal with on the FOB etc.  I found the ripple sole boots got chewed up real fast and never liked the lack of lateral traction, but that is a prefence thing.  In addition, the 390's run small by a 1/2 size to a full size over the 790's as said before.            
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]
On the size issues with Bellevile .....if I wear a size 9.5 you are saying I should buy a size 10?

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/12/2007 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#13]
When you go through RFI prior to deploying you will get good boots: a pair of 390s and a pair of 790s.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is the boot I wish I had, need advice on fitting though cause Im not buying boots blindly online at that price.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
On the size issues with Bellevile .....if I wear a size 9.5 you are saying I should buy a size 10?

Thanks

Anyone?
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Anyone?

I wear a size 12 in sneakers, dress shoes, etc.  I wear a size 10.5 Regular in the Belleville 390s and a 11 Regular in the 790s.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#17]
wow, thats a big difference!
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
wow, thats a big difference!

My best advice would be to try the boots on first.  Then you can shop online for the best price instead of spending over $120 on post at Clothing and Sales.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
When you go through RFI prior to deploying you will get good boots: a pair of 390s and a pair of 790s.

I think the Bellevilles have been pulled from the supply system in favor of the ones that look like the old desert boots, but have a padded sole instead of the old jungle boot sole.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:

+1000
My issured pair of 390DES are the best boots I have had in my 25 years in the army and I was issued them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#21]
My Bellevilles 790s (size 10) fit according to a standard foot measure chart, and compare equally with Cabela's Outfitter boot.  If anything, my Bellevilles felt about 1/4 - 1/2 size big when I first tried them on, but they fit me great now.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the Bellevilles have been pulled from the supply system in favor of the ones that look like the old desert boots, but have a padded sole instead of the old jungle boot sole.

There still issued in the USAF, in both the DCU and the ABU colors. Mine are awsome.
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are made by lots of different companies, but the model number in the tongue will still say 390.

Link Posted: 11/13/2007 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Well I guess I need to try the Belleville's.... They are fairly cheap also compared to some of the high end boots I have been running with so that would be nice if they work out well
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are made by lots of different companies, but the model number in the tongue will still say 390.

Looking at the BCT that's rolling out here.  They got the newer style generic jungle desert boots with an ACU issue.  When they went through RFI, they got 390s and 790s-or something that looked like them.

OP, unless you can try them on-DO not buy them.  Bellevilles are wacky sized.  I wear a 10W in Jungles, 9.0W in 390DES, and 10.0R in 790DES.
Unless you just HAVE to buy boots, I'd wait and see what gets issued.

With all the desert and cold weather boots I've been issued over the last 15+ years, I have a pile of boots in my closet literally as tall as I am.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks FDC, if you have a closet full then throw me a set of size 9.5 & 10's so I can compare

Peace

Link Posted: 11/13/2007 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
For issue boots the Belleville 390's and 790's are great.  When it was hot I wore the 390's (much lighter and cooler) and when it is cold I wore the 790's (Anbar in January).  I have heard the Oakley's are nice, but they are expensive and depending upon your leadership, may not allow you to wear them.  I saw a contractor wearing a t-shirt at Al-Asad that said "We Went to War, and Garrison Broke Out", which sums up what you will have to deal with on the FOB etc.  I found the ripple sole boots got chewed up real fast and never liked the lack of lateral traction, but that is a prefence thing.  In addition, the 390's run small by a 1/2 size to a full size over the 790's as said before.            

You can buy Oakleys at usstandardissue.com and save a lot of money. The USA made desert boots are about 125 on there and online are closer to 200. They also sell issue glasses on there...Its the oakley site for MIL and LE...
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I went with another pair of Danner Hot TFX as I had those before and they were great.

What about cold weather desert boots, we are supposed to be in AFG towards winter season which looking at the info on the country winter from December - March can vary from 47 -18 degrees?

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#29]
As an update.

I got my Belleville 795's in (200 gram insulation) just in time for snow here and I love these boots...I am a boot bigot and though I have spent twice as much on boots then the 795's these boots are the most comfortable..

Thanks all for the recommendations on the Belleville line, I think these WILL be the boots I use...

ETA:

I did find that I normally where a 9.5 and that the Belleville seem about a 1/2 size bigger, which is fine, i bought these for cold weather and wear very thick smart wool socks with them so they are just right..
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

+1 for Belleville.  They are sold at the Ft Drum Clothing Sales store, so they are authorized.  I love my 790's - by far the best boots I have ever worn.  I also like my 795's so far, they are like the 790's but insulated.  It's just getting sold here now, so I just started wearing them and they aren't broken in yet.

For desert use, I would think the 390's are just as good, only without Gore-Tex or insulation.

-K  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I love the 795's for my cold weather here in IL, I just bought a pair of the 790's because I like goretex water proofing....

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 for Belleville.  They are sold at the Ft Drum Clothing Sales store, so they are authorized.  I love my 790's - by far the best boots I have ever worn.  I also like my 795's so far, they are like the 790's but insulated.  It's just getting sold here now, so I just started wearing them and they aren't broken in yet.

For desert use, I would think the 390's are just as good, only without Gore-Tex or insulation.

-K  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K  

I've seen Belleville boots for sale at every post's Clothing and Sales that I've been to.  Prices are still really high.  I just picked up a 3rd pair of 390s on Ebay for $32 brand new in box.  I've always lucked out and found boots on Ebay.  

Ft Drum huh?  Must be getting extremely cold up there now.  Glad I wasn't assigned to 10Mtn.  I hate the snow!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#33]
ok, so today I go out and shovel the snow in my drive and my neighbors wearing my Belleville 795's (Gortex Insulated 200 gram) I LOVE THESE BOOTS!!!

I also just got my 790's in (Gortex non-insulated) and had to order them a 1/2 size smaller then what I normally wear.

So I think I am sold on the Belleville boots, just takes some getting used to their sizing system...

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#34]
If you want some serious sneaker-boots, I grabbed a pair of the Blackhawk boots and actually liked them. I went into the Brigade Quartermasters store expecting to buy a pair of 5:11's and left with the 'Hawks. Much more comfortable to me. My first sergeant liked them enough he went and bought a pair too. Yeah, they're Chinese, but I think my Nikes are too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top