Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:00:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#1]

Originally Posted By WiseguyThreeOne:
my question about their civilian name for it is "large compared to what?".

I guess large compared to their other packs in the 3DAP catagory.

Overall I'd say that a 3-Day [Assault] Pack is only as useful as the person packing it, since there is no defined packing list for "3 days".
If you have a tendency to overpack, then what might be 3 days worth of supplies for you might be 5 days or 1 day for someone else. It's all relative to the user and what they know they can live on. Hell for some people a large buttpack (like a Tailgunner) would constitue a 3-Day Pack, while for others you'd need an EMR.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, well, we have the problem of our three day assault packing list is usually written by the battalion CSM who has his own ideas on what we need to take. The 101st has an institutional tendency to overpack, I've noticed. Plus, I spent most of my first four years on either a machine gun crew or as a platoon RTO with totally different packing requirements than the average rifleman.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally like my Kifaru ZULU becasue it can be as small as a little 3 day pack, or can expand to fit mission needs to size of larger patrol pack. And Kifaru Packs are the most comfortable on the market handsdown. The MIL service rep MEL is awesome as well! IM A KIFARU MAN FOR LIFE!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anybody make an enhanced belt that would fit the A-III MOLLE?
The current belt is sparse and I prefer to carry additional gear (tools, lights) on the belt.  Preferable with PALS/ALICE webbing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
how much are you willing to PAY?   Belts as there come from Eagle....

these are the same for the AIII AIIIABL AIII Med RAID

are 25.00 each.  Any modded belt wil provide only as much support as the original (not much at that)
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to SJSAMPLE for bringing this to my attention in this thread.

Arc'Teryx Charlie Pack

The Charlie pack incorporates the strength of Cordura® and the intensity of Arc'teryx to offer you a robust, fully featured assault pack with hydration pocket, pocket attachment ladder system and quick release shoulder straps. This rucksack can be used on its own or clipped to the Tango pack for extra storage. The Charlie pack brings all the ruggedness and durability of our larger rucksacks to the demands of the short range mission.

• MOLLE compatible PALS
• Front pocket for items that need to be accessed quickly.
• Adjustable waist belt can be stowed away in back panel when not in use
• Zipper pulls are flexible, matte, noiseless rubberized pull cords
• Quick release shoulder strap buckles
• Hydration pocket
• Buckles in the main compartment are designed to support the optional removable radio pouch
• Compression straps to help stabilize load and minimize excessive shifting
• Can be clipped to the Tango backpack for extra carrying capacity or used on its own during short range missions
• Lamination Technology - Pioneers in the use of lamination technology, we employ laminated back panels and shoulder straps in our packs for extra support and long lasting durability.
• Die-cut Hypalon® - We die cut extremely abrasion resistant Hypalon® for increased durability and finish this process with rounded shapes and components that wear longer and are less likely to catch on sharp things.
• Stitch Count - We average 9-10 stitches per linear inch vs. the industry standard of 7-8 stitches per inch. This unique high stitch count is used on all of our seams, providing a stronger, better quality seam.
• Glove Friendly Zipper Pulls - the new toggle system is easy to identify, simple to grasp and quick to operate even with bulked up or frozen digits.

Model: 3239
Weight: 1.17 kgs / 2 lbs
Volume: 1650 cu in / 27 l
Colours:    Crocodile    Woodlands

• Cordura® 725d
• Hypalon®
• HDPE Framesheets
• ITW Ghillie-TEX™ buckles
• Solution-dyed Cordura® webbing
• YKK #8 and #10 zippers

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:39:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#7]
Thanks to SJSAMPLE for bringing this to my attention in this thread.

This pack is obviously pushing the size capacity as being more than a 3DAP, but I've posted other packs that are on the borderline as well, so what the heck.

Arc'Teryx M40 Pack

Our most spacious M fits what you'll need for a true 3-day load. Drybag™ closure, Wrap™ carrying system and quick release clips provide a place for essential tools while snow-shedding x-Pac™ keeps the gear inside dry. The M40 is packed with technical features and finished off with super tough 630D Nylon and Hypalon® to ensure longevity and durability.

• Alpine clips
• Bladder pocket, hose clip for adding a hydration
system
• Drybag™ lid closure seals securely and provides
quick, easy access
• Dual quick release pole or probe grip clip
• External compression straps
• Ice axe loops
• Integrated shovel pocket
• Thermoformed back panel, shoulder straps and interchangeable hipbelt
• Y-Frame suspension
• WaterTight™ zippers
• Wrap System™ for quick ski and board attachment
• High stitch count of 14-16 stitches per inch - With a stitch count higher than industry standards, we achieve stronger seams that capture more yarns and eliminate the need to double stitch.
• Lamination Technology - We've pioneered the technology of lamination construction to create leaner, more functional and durable garments. Instead of sewing, we glue in our pockets, zippers, hems and drawcords.
• Thermomoulding - We have invented sculpted hipbelts and shoulder straps that curve with the body's contours. Our waist belt is constructed with multiple layers of foam to optimize support and minimize discomfort.
• Drybag™ Closure - The DryBag™ closure system is weatherproof and incredibly easy to use with gloves. Super-quick access and a large opening makes diving into your pack a much easier process.
• Wrap System™ - This unique system carries your board with incredible security. It's super stable, keeps the board out of your way and is quick and easy to load and unload. Removable and integrated with compression straps, it's the best carrying system available.* *Salomon license patent #US 5647522.
• Quick Release Pole Grip - A unique clip that provides a secure lash point for tubular items (ie. poles and shovel handles) that's easy to operate with or without gloves.
• Die Cut Hypalon® - We die cut extremely abrasion resistant Hypalon™ for increased durability and finish this process with rounded shapes and components that wear longer and are less likely to catch on sharp things.
• x-Pac™ Fabric - We sourced x-Pac™ fabric for exceptional long-term durability and water shedding properties. Instead of simply coating the interior, this fabric is constructed with a three-layer bonding process. A new white-backed laminate ensures great pack visibility when searching for stowed gear.

Model: 1358
Weight: 2100 grams / 74 oz
Volume: 36 Liters / 2197 cubic inches
Sizes: S, R, T
Colours:    Black    Cinder  

• HDPE framesheet
• 6061-T6 Aluminum stays
• Hypalon®
• x-Pac™ vx21
• 630D Superpack Nylon

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Originally Posted By WiseguyThreeOne:
my question about their civilian name for it is "large compared to what?".

I guess large compared to their other packs in the 3DAP catagory.

Overall I'd say that a 3-Day [Assault] Pack is only as useful as the person packing it, since there is no defined packing list for "3 days".
If you have a tendency to overpack, then what might be 3 days worth of supplies for you might be 5 days or 1 day for someone else. It's all relative to the user and what they know they can live on. Hell for some people a large buttpack (like a Tailgunner) would constitue a 3-Day Pack, while for others you'd need an EMR.

In the 2ID the issue but pack was considered to be a three day pack.  I actually had to live out of it for three days once.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#9]
I'm straying a little from "assault" packs and basing this one on cubic volume... but I saw a couple nice Kelty packs that would probably work just as well for some people's needs.

Arrowhead 2000
Arrowhead 2000 Specs  
On days when you need extra gear, this large volume hydration day pack keeps you organized.  
Size  Reg  
Color  black/black
desert/charcoal

Dimensions  22" x 11" x 18"  
Weight  4 lb 8 oz  
Volume  2000 in3  
Fluid Ounces  100 oz.  
Torso Fit Range  16.00" - 22.00"  
Material  Nylon Shadow Ripstop & Nylon Kodra  
Frame  Internal  

Suspension Features
LightBeam™ aluminum stays
HDPE frame sheet
Padded waisbelt
Removable/stowable waistbelt
Belt stabilizers
Scherer™ cinch
Load-lifter straps
Adjustable suspension
Available in women's suspension
Breathable waistbelt with Spacermesh
Breathable backpanel with Spacermesh
Breathable shoulder straps with Spacermesh
Padded shoulder straps
Sternum strap whistle

Packbag Features
- Front panel loading
- Internal load pocket
- Shovel pocket
- Zippered side pockets
- Side compression straps
- Daisy chain
- Ice axe loop(s)
- Large front pocket with organization
- 3-Liter Taste-Free™ hydration system included
- Security pocket
- Fleece-lined optics pocket
- Lash tabs
- Pull-out raincover

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Same thing applies to this one that applies to the above post. Not necessarily "tactical" packs, but serve the purpose just as well.

Cougar

Cougar Specs  
Kelty's best selling medium sized hydration pack.  
Size  One Size  
Color  mossy oak/olive

Dimensions  21" x 12" x 12"  
Weight  3 lb 11 oz  
Volume  2000 in3  
Material  Mossy Oak New Break-up Whisper Cloth  
Frame  Internal

Suspension Features
Adjustable shoulder straps
Padded backpanel
Delrin arch support
Removable/stowable waistbelt
Scherer™ cinch
Webbing waistbelt
Padded shoulder straps
Sternum strap whistle
Zippered waistbelt pocket
Hypalon slip resistant shoulder patches
Binocular clips on shoulder straps

Packbag Features
- Front panel loading
- Internal load pocket
- Shovel pocket
- Mesh water bottle pockets
- Side compression straps
- Daisy chain
- Ice axe loop(s)
- Large front pocket with organization
- 2-Liter Taste-Free™ hydration system included
- Fleece-lined optics pocket
- Pull-out blaze orange raincover
- Bottom compression lash straps
- Haul handle with adjustable buckle

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Other Kelty Packs:
Internal Frame

Camouflage

I think their idea of 3-day capacity is slightly more than the 'tactical' pack makers. A 1-2 day pack can run as big as 3600 cubic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Great thread!!!

I'd like to mention the Tactical Tailor 3 day AP Plus.
It's just like their 3DAP, except with four 7"x10"x4" pockets attached to the outside, and heavier 3/4" padding on the shoulders. The waist strap is beefier (more padded) than their std 3DAP, but it's not mentioned in the page.
I dont own one, but I think I'd like the extra padding if I'd have to go on long humps.
Eric

http://216.105.57.73/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=41
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Dont know if it's been mentioned, but I like the Eberlestock packs.
This is my favorite, and possibly my next purchase:
http://www.eberlestock.com/Tactical%20Backpacks.htm
It's a little big for a 3 day pack @ 2900 Cu In, but I like to have EVERYTHING I may need.
Eric
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By ctrmass:
I'd like to mention the Tactical Tailor 3 day AP Plus.
It's just like their 3DAP, except with four 7"x10"x4" pockets attached to the outside, and heavier 3/4" padding on the shoulders. The waist strap is beefier (more padded) than their std 3DAP, but it's not mentioned in the page.

Three Day Assault Pack Plus
Our Three Day Plus is identical to our regular Three Day Pack, but four 7" x 10" x 4" pockets have been added to the outside of the pack. The outside pockets allow you to separate and store small items that require quick access, such as a water bottle or a flashlight. We have added a padded waist belt and there are two long bottom compression straps that can be used to attach a sleeping pad. Extra thick shoulder straps and a adjustable sternum strap make this pack comfortable even when heavily loaded. There are grommet drain holes in all pockets. Total capacity is approximately 2900 cubic inches.
Available in OD, Black, or Tan.

Price: $185.00

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By ctrmass:
Dont know if it's been mentioned, but I like the Eberlestock packs.

Yes, it's been discussed. Page 2... about 19-20 posts down.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag for later review.

-KW
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#17]

Camelback Talon™ Coyote
Your team is on the move! Heavy, awkward gear can slow you down. CamelBak’s Talon™ is designed to carry or jump with your mission essential, “combat light” load. Best of all, the Talon handles odd-shaped or bulky loads with ease. With internal and external attachment systems, you can load up radios, weapons, ammo, or NBC equipment with stability and comfort.

Features & Specifications
• Integrated Single Point Release and easily stowable leg straps
• Multiple storage spaces include top-loading main compartment, side pockets for MRE's or ammo, rear organizer.
• Reinforced webbing loops allow for easy integration of parachute's jump harness.
• Six-point strap system on exterior to lash down awkward gear
• ASIPS antennae ports allow for antennae of all sizes.
• Fits second reservoir for longer missions

Capacity: 100 oz (3.0l)
Dimensions: 17 in x 14 in x 10 in (432 mm x 356 mm x 254 mm)
Volume: Cargo – 1820 cu in (29.8 l) Total: 2000 cu in (32.8 l) • Total Volume – 2002 cu. in. (32.8L)
Weight: Empty Reservoir – 3.80 lbs (1.70 kg) • Filled Reservoir – 10.10 lbs (4.50 kg)

Other Colorways Available
Talon™ Olive Drab
MSRP (US only) -- $186.00

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Great thread Pathfinder....Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Sparky357:
Great thread Pathfinder....Thanks.

Don't thank me.. thank the magic of Google searches and cut-and-paste.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#21]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:09:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kisara] [#23]
Needs to model an AIII multicam instead...

Don't forget I had a big photo review of the Camelbak BFM vs Motherlode last year, which Team Members can find with the Archive feature.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:30:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Kisara:
I had a big photo review of the Camelbak BFM vs Motherlode last year, which Team Members can find with the Archive feature.  

Link? I couldn't find it in the Armory archives. I was afraid to search Kisara in all subjects.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#25]
btt
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By hknewguy:
btt

You realize this is a tacked thread, right?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]
This pack may be a little small considering this is the "3-day Assault pack" thread, but I wanted to put it here anyway.  It's the CamelBak Demon.

http://www.camelbak.com/camelbak/images/pm60311.jpg

Undercover surveillance. Long protective details. Special operations. Around town with the family. CamelBak’s NEW line of concealed carry packs allows you to carry two of your most valuable pieces of equipment for hours without attracting unnecessary attention…your firearm and water. CamelBak's new Demon concealment pack is designed to carry a handgun, an extra single or double stack magazine, tactical light or folding knife in its secure, but easy-access concealment compartment. High-quality, civilian design and color choices help operators blend into the crowd. Comfortably carry a handgun and extra clip. Hook-and-loop in the ID presentation compartment. Two heavy-duty compartment handles enable quick access to your weapon.

Features & Specifications
• Easy access to secure concealed weapon and gear compartment.
• Civilian design and appearance.
• Comes with holster and magazine pouch.
• Generous hook-and-loop panels for ID and other gear pouches.

specificationsCapacity: 72 oz (2.1 L)
Dimensions: 19 in x 10.5 in x 7 in (483 mm x 267 mm x 178 mm)
Volume: Cargo only - 1404 cu in (23.0 L) including water - 1532 cu in (25.1 L)
Weight: Empty reservoir - 3.0 lbs (1.35 kg) filled reservoir - 7.6 lbs (3.44 kg)

I think this could be a good pack to have in a situation like New Orleans right now.  You could carry a handgun, and other essential gear, without looking armed.

Robert

P.S.  Since this is my first post here I wanted to mention that I am not making any money from this, I just find this is an interesting pack.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#29]
TAG
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Where does everyone buy their packs?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By hknewguy:
Where does everyone buy their packs?

I bought my Marauder direct from Kifaru.

There's plenty of places. Most of the packs in this thread have links to at least the manufacturer, who generally sells them.

Lightfighter has a great selection and an awesome website. It's wicked easy to find what you want on there.

Also, look at various site's equipment exchanges/swap meets. You can usually find some sweet deals on packs that are practically brand new most of the time.

Lightfighter.net has a pretty nice swap meet, but it's sometimes hard to find something because people are always selling multiple items at the same time.

Kifaru has a pretty decent garage sale. right now it's not working because they're beefing up the server space or something.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#33]

For something a little larger check out the Bugout-Bag

A lot of people were and still use this one when deployed to the sandbox. And for $50 (NEX), it is a great buy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Camelbak BFM is my do all, just as long as I dont need to hump over 40 lbs...makes a great range bag also...

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#36]
How about some pictures of the inside of that BFM?  I would like to see how the smaller compartments are divided up, if they are?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#37]
This is the front pocket...

The Main compartment...

Stuffed with a king size pillow to show expansion...

Mag pouches on ends were added on (made by aites), and the bottom pocket has mesh inside on both sides with zipper closure.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By Kisara:
I had a big photo review of the Camelbak BFM vs Motherlode last year, which Team Members can find with the Archive feature.  

Link? I couldn't find it in the Armory archives. I was afraid to search Kisara in all subjects.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=299300

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#40]
lotsa good info here--thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:48:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfieldburt] [#42]

www.eagleindustries.com/images/prodimages/P_A_III_P_MS.jpg
MOLLE STYLE A-III-P (A-III-P-MS)
The A-III-P-MS is the latest version of one of our most popular packs. We took our standard A-III-P and infused versatility by adding MOLLE webbing to its exterior. The new A-III-P-MS still possesses the unmatched quality and reliability that made the standard A-III-P so popular and at the same time offers modular bliss.

A-III-P-MS Features:
** 1" Mil Spec. webbing for MOLLE attachments.
** 3-pocket construction for maximum compartmentalization of items.
** Inside slip pocket accommodates optional rigid, internal frame.
** CamelBak® compatible.
** Fully adjustable, removable waist pad.
** Easy load and retrieval of items via front-load, clamshell design.
** Removable sternum strap.
** Made In The USA.

Color: Black, Olive Drab and Khaki are standard. Other colors available upon special request for an additional charge.

So, if this is "CamelBak® compatible", where does the tube come out? I don't see any obvious holes or openings for it like the Tactical Tailor pack. Is it right under the carry handle/strap? Also, what size bladder will it take? Will it take a 3L bladder? Will the Tactical Tailer take a 3L bladder?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#43]

Originally Posted By bfieldburt:
MOLLE STYLE A-III-P (A-III-P-MS)
So, if this is "CamelBak® compatible", where does the tube come out? I don't see any obvious holes or openings for it like the Tactical Tailor pack.

Look at the picture. See the square with the tab right next to the carry handle. I'm pretty sure it's either under that or under the square with the Eagle label on it that's under the carry handle.

Is it right under the carry handle/strap? Also, what size bladder will it take? Will it take a 3L bladder? Will the Tactical Tailer take a 3L bladder?

Like any 3DAP of that size I'd venture a guess and say it'll take at least a 100oz bladder. Depending on how much stuff you load into the main compartment may allow for more. Obviously you need to load the bladder before packing the pack. Ever try to load a bladder into a pack already crammed with stuff. It's frustrating to say the least.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By nf9648:
The Main compartment...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/DSC02452.jpg

Whats in the SA Box???
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:40:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By akajimmy:

Originally Posted By nf9648:
The Main compartment...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/DSC02452.jpg

Whats in the SA Box???

Just a stock, the M1A is under the bed in a case...
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#48]
so tagged...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By hd_pancho:
so tagged...

Originally Posted By Flushdraw:
tag

I think the word your looking for is tacked
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#50]

11 mags, 60oz bladder, food , pistol, coat, all the tools for the AR15 and bunch of other little stuff.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top