Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2012 5:45:53 PM EDT
This method of searching for arrows lost under the grass occurred to me today!

Push an extra arrow under the grass perpendicular to your direction of shooting and lift it up from the nock end.  If it is just under grass, it will break the grass but if it is under another arrow, you will have found it!  Obviously you should search this way in the area you think you lost your arrow.

As a warning, I use carbon arrows.  Wood arrows would probably break if you did this.

I found my 2 lost arrows today!
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I allways use illuminated nocks when shooting anywhere the possibility of losing an arrow is high. If I can't find it right away it is usually glowing later when the sun sets.

ETA: I have lost a few even with lighted nocks but I figure they are expendable items and don't sweat it...
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever mowed on an arrow?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a pretty good idea.  I already start giving up looking for them when I know they went under the grass like that but I'll have to try that out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have borrowed a friends metal detector to locate a few stray arrows.  They are way too expensive to be loosing that for sure.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
My club has a rake that they use, just do it perpindicular in the area of question and it's much quicker/covers more ground.  That being said, I always lose arrows haha.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I give up looking for my lost arrows within 10 minutes... ADD kicks in.  I usually find them a week or two later, I feel like a treasure hunter finding something new....
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
use florescent nock then buy a cheep UV flashlight  and hunt for them when its dark works well for me all my nocks are fluorescent now especially my daughters arrows
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is just grass, take off your shoes you will feel the shaft under your foot.  Just take your time so you dont damage the straightness.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
When I started shooting carbon I had to buy a metal detector.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it is just grass, take off your shoes you will feel the shaft under your foot.  Just take your time so you dont damage the straightness.
View Quote

Came to post this... It sucks, and your sock sometimes gets wet, but its better then loosing and arrow... DO NOT do this if you have a broad head on your arrow for obvious reasons....
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually find them in the spring. It may not work for southerners.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Take another arrow and "rake" it across the ground perpendicular to your arrow.

Once the point hits the arrow you will hear it.

You can cover a bit of ground this way if you didn't quite see where it went.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I usually desperately search for the lost arrow in the blackberry bramble, get pissed off and give up, then find it a year later when the hogs have dug up what's left of it.

ETA: This cycle has largely ended since I stopped taking pot shots at the hay bales from 30+ yards away with my longbow. Or at least mostly ended. Sometimes I can't help myself
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top