Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 6:47:37 PM EST
I'm unable to locate this answer. Why does the addition of an optic device require the rezeroing of a rifles iron sights? Or for that matter a new muzzle brake/flash hider? I guess I can understand somewhat a muzzle accessory, but not a scope. I have read several posts that state irons were several inches off after a scope or red dot was installed. ???

BTW I have an A1 upper.

roy d
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:08:14 PM EST
Consider that from the time you have obtained your sight picture and the bullet has started down the barrel, the forces of recoil move the weapon a finite amount before the bullet leaves the barrel and starts downrange. Your sights, once properly adjusted, takes this movement into account. Adding mass to the weapon, especially on the forend, changes the amount of this movement necessitating an adjustment of the sights to compensate.

Basicly ANYTHING you do to change the condition in which the weapon is fired, will affect the point of impact to some degree. INCLUDING your hold.

Consistancy is the key to repeat accuracy.

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:12:12 PM EST
Good explination Lonny. Follow up question, would a FF forearm help solve the issue with your hold consistency?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:43:59 PM EST
Free float forearms help eliminate variations in the vibration of the barrel by isolating it from pressures exerted on the forent by hold and or slings and other devices. Making it more consistant from shot to shot.

Lonny

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:58:17 AM EST
Unless you have a scope mount with some sort of see thru ability while the scope is mounted, you'll have to take the scope off of an A1 type upper to shoot irons; in which case you should have no change of impact. Even withe a see thru type mount, any POI change should be pretty minor.

Mounting a new, or different, muzzle device? I've seen them change POI anywhere from zero to a couple of inches at 100 yds; and I can't imagine that free floating HGs would change that.

But then I've never used a FF HG on an AR, so have no direct knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:07:36 PM EST
I have a leupold see through handle mount with a bushnell scope and also one of those leaper knock off 4x20's, I have never had any noticable change in poa and poi....maybe I got lucky? I'll report back after my Phantom FS is installed.

thanks

roy d
Top Top