Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/31/2004 3:19:49 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what the required thickness and distance to keep it from penatrating
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:54:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2004 6:56:43 PM EDT by kensteele]

Originally Posted By acman145acp:
Can anyone tell me what the required thickness and distance to keep it from penatrating

68 reads and no answers. Maybe if I answer someone will chime in since there are so many that like to prove me wrong.

So I'm not the expert but I'll answer anyway since I've shot at steel with M193 and I was only 50 yards and from a 20" barrel, I couldn't get it to completely penetrate. Steel plate was 0.5" (1/2 inch).

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:42:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:49:52 PM EDT
At 100 yards, M193 fired from an 18" will leave approx 2mm diameter pits in the surface of AR500 plating. I think mine's 3/8" thick.

-z
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:33:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
Define "steel"

You know! That metal stuff!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:31:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:

Originally Posted By Paul:
Define "steel"

You know! That metal stuff!

Don't be so lazy man ;)
There are differences in steels like day and night, in fact about 90000 different steel types exist (yes, ninetythousand). From buttersoft "junglesteel" to close to diamond hardness.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:40:35 AM EDT
I shoot only Titanic Grade steel gongs!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:15:02 AM EDT
I have no idea what type of steel I have (in my picture). Is there anyway to tell? I've been getting mine cheap from a scrap steel facility....
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:44:11 PM EDT
well I must confess my ignorance to the ratings on steel but I basically meant if you went to an iron yard and said I need a sheet of half inch plate without specifying strength whatever is most comon or the standard bought I supose is what you would get. But i do apreciate the info on what rating to ask for now I know for sure what I need to buy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:46:01 PM EDT

Do you use frozen bullets to penetrate it???
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:48:02 PM EDT
Hardness of the steel makes all the diffrence got a 1/4 in thick plate that i can only get 30-06 to penetrate at or closer then 25 yards got a 3/4 inch thick plate that m193 will plow right through at 100 yards
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:14:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By acman145acp:

Do you use frozen bullets to penetrate it???

Ice bullets, indeed!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:02:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Exphonze:
Hardness of the steel makes all the diffrence got a 1/4 in thick plate that i can only get 30-06 to penetrate at or closer then 25 yards got a 3/4 inch thick plate that m193 will plow right through at 100 yards

Wow, you shoot at steel at 25yard or closer?

Last time I shot at steel that close, something came back and hit me. Never again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:58:40 PM EDT
Thickness has little to do with the the real world issue of shit coming back and causing blood loss.

The Good chief (Semper Fi!) made solid and real world points in his post that I have seen first hand and agee with 100%.

If the steel target is of a hardness that the molten material of the impact becomes dangerous at short range, the steel at ANY thickness should be avoided as a target.

Cheap soft steel (Boiler plate etc) is safe past 50m or so and target life becomes the concern.

AS 500 steel targets can be engaged in training at very close range without too much concern, but the cost is about double.

Have yet to impress my own Poppers and gongs (AS500) with anything but .308AP at ranges under 10m. Even with AP the result is but a dimple.

Have chewed up numerous Boiler plate gongs at the club with simple surplus 7.62 ball at 10 times the range.

Also have had a class go wrong thanks to soft poppers made from cheap boiler plate at 20m, and the splashback causing bleeding of a bystander.

Soft steel is cheap, and in every aspect of the word.
It is also the most common.
It's dangerous shit!

M193 fragments completely on good steel targets, and is safe to shoot up close.

Just the view from this Cornfield.

(Never thought I'd ever be agreeing with a Squid on rifle matters... Chief the cover is off!)
S-28

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:45:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By S-28:

M193 splatters completely at any range on "good" steel, but I still don't shoot it inside of 40-50 yards. There's a lot of nastyness going on there that I don't want to be near. Even pistol rounds will occasionally sting you, but rifle frags would have a shitload more velocity on them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:25:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By S-28:
Thickness has little to do with the the real world issue of shit coming back and causing blood loss.

The Good chief (Semper Fi!) made solid and real world points in his post that I have seen first hand and agee with 100%.

If the steel target is of a hardness that the molten material of the impact becomes dangerous at short range, the steel at ANY thickness should be avoided as a target.

Cheap soft steel (Boiler plate etc) is safe past 50m or so and target life becomes the concern.

AS 500 steel targets can be engaged in training at very close range without too much concern, but the cost is about double.

Have yet to impress my own Poppers and gongs (AS500) with anything but .308AP at ranges under 10m. Even with AP the result is but a dimple.

Have chewed up numerous Boiler plate gongs at the club with simple surplus 7.62 ball at 10 times the range.

Also have had a class go wrong thanks to soft poppers made from cheap boiler plate at 20m, and the splashback causing bleeding of a bystander.

Soft steel is cheap, and in every aspect of the word.
It is also the most common.
It's dangerous shit!

Just the view from this Cornfield.

(Never thought I'd ever be agreeing with a Squid on rifle matters... Chief the cover is off!)
S-28

Then I must be shooting at cheap steel.
Top Top