Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2008 1:59:27 PM EDT
for some reason i would like one of these stubby stocks on a ar15 223 for coyote hunting. walking gun... does any one have one ? how do you like it ?
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the ACE short stock

It is very short but you can shoot ok with it if you hunker in to yourself

Kid
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Will you be bundled up in cold weather? I found the Sully stock to work well when hunting because the layers of clothes made the A2 stock unweildy and even more so, the awkward angles I'd find myself contorting to in order to shoulder it agin' a deer approaching from unexpected directions. The stubby is shorter yet so I don't know exactly. But given the choice of too short or too long, I'd take too short every time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
were can i buy the sully or ace stock ? marty
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of the short fixed "entry" stocks and they are convienent and useful wheh used for what they are intended. I like them much better than a short collapsible stock. They are sturdy. strong, and foolproof. They can be used very well and very quickley and do lead to a "nose to charge handle" shooting style. Here in the Northeast during the cold and snowy winter minths I think they could work great on a carried varmint (coyote) gun or for carrying in your cruiser ot vehicle any time. I like them....<><....:)
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
here in north dakota weather is cold. the last week it has been -15 with wind chill of -30. it will be like this tell april 1. you have to were a lot of clothes to coyote hunt here . i will take a look at those ajustable stocks and the sully. thanks. marty
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the magpul CTR stock on my coyote gun.  Allows me to adjust length of pull if I am sitting or laying and how many layers of clothes I am wearing!
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks. marty
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
for some reason i would like one of these stubby stocks on a ar15 223 for coyote hunting. walking gun... does any one have one ? how do you like it ?

One (main ?) purpose of a buttstock is to force you to shoulder the weapon with your eye the correct distance from the rear sight.  So if you have a weapon with a folding rear sight; and a top rail that you can shoot well with a "scout mounted" (well forward on the rail) or long eye relief scope, then a short buttstock is just fine and you don't need to extend it in order to sight normally.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go with an ACE entry stock, the sully stock is nice but it is heavy, and my hunting guns are about lightweight. just my $.02
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Will you be bundled up in cold weather? I found the Sully stock to work well when hunting because the layers of clothes made the A2 stock unweildy and even more so, the awkward angles I'd find myself contorting to in order to shoulder it agin' a deer approaching from unexpected directions. The stubby is shorter yet so I don't know exactly. But given the choice of too short or too long, I'd take too short every time.

Big +1

It all depends on the style of hunting you do.

I myself have just found the AR platform, and have settled on a short stock.

My hunting consist of still hunting deer ground and stand hunting, as mentioned above winter clothing makes longer stock firearms unwieldy. The short stock is a perfect fit for shots that are typically experience which are under 100 yds.

I went the bolt action big scope route for many years, the length, weight, site acquisition and the fact that follow up shots are slow with my 30-06 bolt, proved to be inadequate for me.

One shot one kill, is not practical for most of us in the real world, many good bucks are missed without even pulling the trigger waiting for the "perfect" shot.

It is rare for any decent buck to be walking around in broad daylight. Most good bucks stick to cover and move early or late, with daylight being an issue.

This is just MHO from an amateur, with much trail and even more error. Sorry for the length of this, hope it helps.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top